The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: side_show on October 20, 2007, 04:08:19 pm

Title: Shoes
Post by: side_show on October 20, 2007, 04:08:19 pm
I'm sorry, but I love my new shoes so much I had to start a thread about them.

 These are them. (http://www.naot.com/cgi-bin/show_product.pl?yaleet_number=11410&cat=WMN)  I have the ones pictured - the copper leather with the wine suede.  I put them on in the store, and the moment I stood up they were sold.  I wore them on a recent trip to Toronto where I had to walk about 4 hours each day to get from one location to another, and my feet never hurt.  This says a lot because I have major foot pain as well as hip and knee problems.  They are the most comfortable footwear I've ever owned.  I am a dork for these shoes.  I am gay for these shoes. 

Anyone else ever fall in love with a pair of shoes?
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: pmcd9 on October 20, 2007, 04:27:24 pm
I want to see your shoes.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: linnea on October 20, 2007, 05:05:39 pm
Those are hella cute, mel!! I love them. I'm going shoe shopping today to get shoes for a wedding.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 20, 2007, 07:14:52 pm
I think that guys-who-dig-ladies can't fall in love with ##### or shoes or socks or underwear.

We can only fall in love with our shirts. I think this is a law.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: jay-ell on October 20, 2007, 07:20:44 pm
And hats, in some cases. 

There are plenty of guys who have that one lucky baseball cap that they won't get rid of no matter how ratty it gets.  And I know Pedro adores his fedora. 

Then again, that might be just because I bought it for him when we were sixteen. 

Edit: That would be this fedora (http://picasaweb.google.com/jldunston/September2006Portraits/photo#5101518608644249330) by the way. 
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 20, 2007, 07:41:18 pm
I am wearing a shirt that I am in love with, right now, actually.

It is a dark grey X-Men shirt with just the X-in-a-circle logo on it. No, like, drawings of Wolverine beatin' up on a ***** or Jean Grey's big-ol'-titties or anything dorky like that. Just the X-in-a-circle on black.

It is that classy kinda dorky that I love but doesn't sell very well because most people do not want subtly dorky things. Most adult dorks want extremely dorky things with Gambit all throwin' cards like a douche that are one-step-above a dragon or a wizard on your fuck*ng chest and basically screams "ONLY NOT A VIRGIN BECAUSE HE'S OKAY WITH BUYING HOOKERS!"

It's beat to hell, I basically can only wear it on weekends or with an overshirt but I love it.

I used to have a shirt from the last baseball strike that said "Shut Up and Pitch" but I wore that until it literally fell off my body.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: jay-ell on October 20, 2007, 08:06:50 pm
Pedro wore to death a shirt that had a picture of a salt shaker and a knife.  The caption read, "a salt with a deadly weapon." 

I will never understand why he liked that shirt so much.  It finally fell apart this summer, after twelve years. 

Smells, I will find a picture of my new shoes to share.  I don't mean to talk about men's t-shirts so much. 
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: melack on October 22, 2007, 05:54:23 am
And hats, in some cases. 

There are plenty of guys who have that one lucky baseball cap that they won't get rid of no matter how ratty it gets.  And I know Pedro adores his fedora. 

I have a nasty--ass baseball cap that I really should discard, but I just can't do it. It's a navy Tacoma Rainiers minor league hat with brackish sweat stains on the outside and a medium-brown inside band that was once white. Man, I love that hat. But when I wear it in public, other people don't seem to share my opinion of it!
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: theinevitable on October 22, 2007, 06:03:30 am
Last night I went to a dinner thing, and this girl walked into the room in this 60's-ish minidress and heels...

ladies, never underestimate the power of heels. NEVER.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 22, 2007, 06:15:21 am
Yeah, but heels look so goddamned PAINFUL.

Yes, they make the shape of the leg sexier but... dammit, even as the man looking, I have to say... ladies legs are already sexy enough as they are already. I am pro ladies legs already. Don't put yourself into horrible pain just to make them slightly sexier.

The sexy is already enough.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: theinevitable on October 22, 2007, 06:17:43 am
damn, I wish I could have the same attitude.

But legs do almost nothing for me visually until the heels are on, and then they utterly knock me out.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 22, 2007, 06:47:01 am
I think the difference between you and me, inev, is that you are very attracted to a few particular ladies and that I am just enamoured with and worship the female form entirely. There are advantages and disadvantages to both our positions, certainly, neither one is wrong or right.

But they are definitely two distinct ways to handle bein' a straight dude.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: theinevitable on October 22, 2007, 06:48:27 am
that is probably it. that is probably exactly it.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: side_show on October 22, 2007, 01:15:43 pm
I don't ever wear heels.  I do wear shoes which add height, but they've always been the kind where the heel is one solid, stable chunk of the shoe, not like pump or stiletto.

Also, it is okay to have a man crush on a certain hat, shirt etc.

But wait, with my beloved shoes, what confuses me is the colour of them.  They're bronze and wine... I'm thinking I can't wear them with gray or black #####.  They work well with jeans and probably if I had brown ##### too...  What about socks?  I am always confused about what socks to wear with what shoes.  Clearly I am fired from coordination school if I wear black socks with them...  I wore brown socks and orange socks with them so far.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: theinevitable on October 22, 2007, 01:24:01 pm
just for the record, I got into a similar argument with... several people... the other day.

Jeans do not "match everything." For instance, if I wear a light blue t-shirt with light blue-jeans, this is matching? I do not think that those clothes match each other, but I have been told that "that's not what matching means" and a bunch of crap like that. I feel like clothes that match should look good together, but I am told that this is incorrect.

Of course, there is a difference between a female friend saying "daniel, that is not what Matching means" and my dad saying "daniel, just buy the damn jeans, jeans look good with everything."

But yeah, mel, I have no idea. I do not know what anything matches. Also part of the problem is that sometimes I really like how things that clash look? Just wear them with black socks! or... white socks!
Yesterday: dark brown courderoys, a light blue t-shirt with a neon orange accordion player, grey sneakers, a navy blue zip-up hoodie (with a bright yellow Lunchbox Records pin!).
To sum up: yellow, orange, brown, light blue, dark blue.
I feel like this looked awesome.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: jaydub on October 22, 2007, 04:36:28 pm
Jeans do not "match everything." For instance, if I wear a light blue t-shirt with light blue-jeans, this is matching? I do not think that those clothes match each other, but I have been told that "that's not what matching means" and a bunch of crap like that. I feel like clothes that match should look good together, but I am told that this is incorrect.
I do this accidentally sometimes (mostly because I'm thinking about something else while dressing) and my wife will stop me by saying something like "Ladies and Gentlemen, it's Blue-Boy!"

Also, Jayelle, apparently Pedro and I have similar tastes in hats.  I've gone through three or four of them though.  They're the best damn hat design ever.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: jay-ell on October 22, 2007, 05:54:15 pm
I got picked on a lot in grade school because my Mom insisted on dressing me in one color from head to toe. 

Pink shirt, pink jeans, pink socks, pink denim jacket, pink knockoff Chuck-T All-Star Hightops.  I'm not making this up, people. 

There is no excuse for that kind of thing in this day and age.  Unless the color is black, the top should never be exactly the same color as the bottom. 
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: side_show on October 22, 2007, 07:35:50 pm
I don't know about that JL.  Sometimes it's about texture too.  For instance, a killer silver-grey pair of velvet ##### can go really nicely with a light, flow-y silver gray top.  Basically, I think the monochrome look can be just fine as long as the textures are contrasting and the look one is aiming for is minimal.  If it's all frilly and shit, or we're talking multi-layered, then no:  monochrome is not okay.

I actually took two years of costume design, so I know a lot of theory on what goes together based on colour wheels and shit... Also, in class we talked about the fact jeans are neutral in the North American wardrobe - in most cases they can be read as "black" or "blank" casual, though this used to not be the case.  But shoes, bags and belts all fall into the accessory category and are a lot more of a gray area.  I was watching some fashion show and the host was yelling "Your bag should not match your shoes people!"  Which I found confusing.
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: jay-ell on October 22, 2007, 08:23:29 pm
See, yes.  I understand that sometimes monochrome is socially acceptable -- on other people.  But I just...don't wear things that come on the same hanger when you buy them.  Because of the aforementioned outfit, and other things, including an unfortunate incident involving a very mean middle schooler and a blue tunic top with blue leggings.  I don't even remember what he said, but I remember never wanting to wear that outfit in public again. 

So, I'm with inev.  I prefer the mix and match look.  I'm the girl who goes into a store and throws off the balance between track ##### and matching hoodies by buying the bottoms in one color and the top in another.

Yeah.  I'm that girl.   
Title: Re: Shoes
Post by: CortJstr on October 22, 2007, 11:05:55 pm
See I'm the kind of person that I have to buy stuff that I see in store displays. Because figuring out what tie to wear with what shirt might as well be voodoo in chinese.