The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: iron_felix on October 24, 2007, 04:31:40 am

Title: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: iron_felix on October 24, 2007, 04:31:40 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10242007

Hmmm.  Shades of the GOF, only in hot tub form.  Not much in the way of humor, but this has the feeling of a strip that isn't meant to be overtly funny.  I actually kind of liked it.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: AugustWest on October 24, 2007, 04:40:24 am
It's like Greco-Roman wrestling!
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 24, 2007, 04:43:26 am
I'm with you, metalcat.

Not funny but interesting. They ain't all gotta be funny as long as they're all interesting.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: lprkn on October 24, 2007, 05:07:26 am
This one actually made me chuckle, unlike recent strips. Just the idea of naked hot tub fighting, and then that there could be a a "best of"... I'm not entirely sure why, but I felt this one brought some funny.

Takes a lot of balls to fight naked.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 24, 2007, 05:11:19 am
I thought this was hilarious.  The look of the dude in panel 4, the cat cock and, what really made me laugh, the alt text.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: Toaster on October 24, 2007, 06:04:38 am
This really brightened my day. The alt-text pretty much summarizes Ray's enbtire view of life, a view which too few people share. I thought the hot tub fight was happening in Ray's living room, and it goes to show how long I've been reading Ray's adventures in Achewood, that I really wasn't fazed by the prospect of him getting large naked cat-men to fight naked in a hot tub in his living room. Then I saw the DVD logo in the first panel, and realized that Ray is just watching this on TV. In my head, I prefer the original version that my mind concocted. It goes along with the alt-text.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: Doc on October 24, 2007, 07:53:57 am
Don't be silly Toaster, Ray doesn't have a hot tub in his living room.
This was obviously filmed in his bathroom and he's finally got around to paying Teodore to put them all on DVD.

The alt-text also made me feel a bit more positive about life.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: Mr Trout on October 24, 2007, 12:44:34 pm
The alt-text was definitely the funniest part of this strip. I thought it was ok at first, just another strip showing Ray doing something crazy, but then seeing Ray's character distilled into that sentence got a laugh out of me.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: side_show on October 24, 2007, 12:58:17 pm
What is with the homoerotic tension in Achewood?  I mean, seriously.  It's a reoccurring theme of many a strip.  I mean, ongoing melancholy and non-participatory situations of a queer nature seem to run through out Achewood.  I could... I could write a thesis on what it means.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: CortJstr on October 24, 2007, 01:08:56 pm
What is with the homoerotic tension in Achewood?  I mean, seriously.  It's a reoccurring theme of many a strip.  I mean, ongoing melancholy and non-participatory situations of a queer nature seem to run through out Achewood.  I could... I could write a thesis on what it means.

I think it's just because the strip is written by a dude, and dudes love them some homoeroticism. Look at football, wrestling, hunting, and Gilligan's Island.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: side_show on October 24, 2007, 01:14:12 pm
Achewood:  the "team mate pats you on the butt" of internet comics.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 24, 2007, 01:25:09 pm
Dammit chris with the c*ck. get over, chris, get over it with the c*ck already.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: Popegeorgeringo on October 24, 2007, 01:40:37 pm
I'm hopin' that tomorrow some demi-celeb breaks through the wall....

Speaking of demi-celebs:  I ran into Monte Markham last week.  Er, let me rephrase that, Speaking of has-been demi-celebs.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: side_show on October 24, 2007, 07:10:19 pm
Mark McKinney was on my flight home a few weeks ago.  He was two rows ahead of me.  That is a big deal for me.  He... his work means a lot to me.  In bagage claim he was just standing there across from me.  I tried not to stare, but I was pretty excited about it.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: wombat on October 24, 2007, 07:14:09 pm
Smells, why do you mention this? Are you implying that Mark McKinney is a has-been demi-celeb? Put that together with today's disturbing comic and I think I am going to cry.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: JorgeFabregas on October 25, 2007, 12:41:03 am
I enjoyed this one quite a bit. However.

The title doesn't mention naked hot tub fights. So why are they naked?

I know this isn't porn exactly, but you know, in stereotypical porn they have a little bit of plot up first. Cable guy is fixing the cable or some other everyday situation that wouldn't typically lead to sex.

In these scripted fights, wouldn't it make more sense for it to seem like two "regular" guys are sitting in a hot tub and just happen to become FURIOUS? In that case, might it make more sense for them to be wearing a swimsuit--initially, at least? The shorts or speedo could be torn off very quickly once the fight begins, but it seems like it would make more sense this way.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: theinevitable on October 25, 2007, 12:50:20 am
I think if I were about to fight with a guy, and he tore off his swimsuit, I would say "you win."
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: CortJstr on October 25, 2007, 01:15:15 am
I enjoyed this one quite a bit. However.

The title doesn't mention naked hot tub fights. So why are they naked?

I know this isn't porn exactly, but you know, in stereotypical porn they have a little bit of plot up first. Cable guy is fixing the cable or some other everyday situation that wouldn't typically lead to sex.

In these scripted fights, wouldn't it make more sense for it to seem like two "regular" guys are sitting in a hot tub and just happen to become FURIOUS? In that case, might it make more sense for them to be wearing a swimsuit--initially, at least? The shorts or speedo could be torn off very quickly once the fight begins, but it seems like it would make more sense this way.

I am so glad that porn moved past this. I much prefer the current trend of asking dumb questions of a girl on a couch then leaping straight to "OK, take your top off"
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 25, 2007, 01:53:06 am
I think if I were about to fight with a guy, and he tore off his swimsuit, I would say "you win."
I would make a joke about his p.e.n.i.s. And then kick it.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: theinevitable on October 25, 2007, 02:14:48 am
Quote
I am so glad that porn moved past this. I much prefer the current trend of asking dumb questions of a girl on a couch then leaping straight to "OK, take your top off"

big fan. big fan.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: jaydub on October 25, 2007, 03:58:17 am
The title doesn't mention naked hot tub fights. So why are they naked?

In some forms of hot tub etiquette, suits are either optional, or frowned upon.  Perhaps the prelude to the scene here was Jason's ex, (Mike's new squeeze) getting out of the tub to get fresh drinks for everyone.  Mike says something insensitive and the Hot Tub Brawl is on.

straying dangerously close to fanfic, I know.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: Ben-San on October 25, 2007, 06:45:49 am
I didn't think it was scripted. I just assumed it was, y'know, the best home videos around of hot tub fights that happened to occur.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: Lister on October 25, 2007, 06:59:44 am
My home videos of naked hot tub fights don't have reverse angles.

Yet.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 25, 2007, 02:32:15 pm
FURIOUS DING-DONGS
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: dejavroom on October 25, 2007, 06:01:04 pm
Isn't it funny that full male nudity in Achewood passes without raising as much as an eyebrow, but there was a barrage of snickering comments when Onstad drew some cat-ladies with big breasts? Do cocks carry a more "family-friendly" connotation? Because I would totally understand that.

But more to the point I suppose the critics came from people who never read an issue of Omaha in their lives and were all talking about how *creepy* Onstad was and so on.

I still would be interested in seeing Onstad do something different in this area. If Achewood is supposed to go towards adult themes with as much gusto as it goes towards its nonsensical themes... why not occasional frontal female nudity? I know there has been mentions of him wanting to avoid providing jackoff material, but if he doesn't think there is someone out there beating off to his furious ding-dongs, he's one innocent pup...
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 25, 2007, 06:22:02 pm
Cocks are ugly, even if you're into them, they're just ugly in an excitingly-crass kinda way, and ugly is accepted as funny.

The cock and balls are silly looking things.

A good set of tits are fuckin' beautiful, even if you're not into them, they're still astetically pleasing, and so there's a lot more fear of drawing naked just to draw naked... or, at least, of being perceived of doing that.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: CortJstr on October 25, 2007, 06:29:13 pm
Isn't it funny that full male nudity in Achewood passes without raising as much as an eyebrow, but there was a barrage of snickering comments when Onstad drew some cat-ladies with big breasts? Do cocks carry a more "family-friendly" connotation? Because I would totally understand that.

But more to the point I suppose the critics came from people who never read an issue of Omaha in their lives and were all talking about how *creepy* Onstad was and so on.

I still would be interested in seeing Onstad do something different in this area. If Achewood is supposed to go towards adult themes with as much gusto as it goes towards its nonsensical themes... why not occasional frontal female nudity? I know there has been mentions of him wanting to avoid providing jackoff material, but if he doesn't think there is someone out there beating off to his furious ding-dongs, he's one innocent pup...

I think it has to do with people knowing it's a man doing the comic. If he draws wangs then he's laughing at himself. But a man drawing naked female characters has a creates a whole different perception. People would start thinking of it as a "porn comic" because of one set of naked breasts, let alone what full frontal would do. Like the previous 5 years have just been him subtly making us let our guard down, gradually entering furry-dom.
Either that or he'd start getting Frank Cho comparisons for getting off on drawing women who would never give him the time of day in real life. Although I would like to see Truman the duck meet Philippe.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 25, 2007, 06:34:17 pm
Also, Todd proving to the... pig creature thing... that the pig creature thing is not actually all that wild at all.

He drinks a lot! And he smokes! That's so edgy!

Frank Cho is a brilliant artist but... man. Man. Dude should not be writing the things he draws.

George Lucas should be directing other people's scripts, Bob Dylan should strictly be a songwriter, etc.

Auteur theory, man, it's really the exception, not the rule.
Title: Re: October 24, 2007: Best of... Hot Tub Brawls
Post by: Ben-San on October 26, 2007, 05:32:31 am
My home videos of naked hot tub fights don't have reverse angles.

Yet.

That's why yours aren't the Best Of.