The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Beatrice on November 07, 2007, 07:49:09 pm

Title: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Beatrice on November 07, 2007, 07:49:09 pm
I searched the boards and found nothing.  Surely someone out there is as obsessed as me?  I spent four hours last night constructing a felt Albi the Racist Dragon patch complete with jelly bean tears because i wanted but couldn't afford the dvd that came out today.  Anybody with me?
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Mr Trout on November 07, 2007, 08:15:13 pm
Ok, yes, this show is awesome. I think the Bowie episode was my favorite. Booooowie in spaace...

Also, the leather suits made me laugh really hard. I wonder if they are going to do more episodes? Or if that first season was it? I do want to see more but I don't want them to overstay their welcome, you know?
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Beatrice on November 07, 2007, 08:24:32 pm
there's a second season but i suspect that will be it.  it'll be cool to see how a whole bunch of new songs will work out.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: robot_god on November 07, 2007, 08:53:25 pm
Inner... City...   Inner City Pressure.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Turbo Ninja on November 07, 2007, 09:21:28 pm
I was afraid the show would be all filler, a rickety shack built to enclose the hilarity of the songs I knew from their stand-up specials.  But it turned out to be the funniest filler ever, so much so that some of the songs seemed contrived compared to the Kwality Komedy.

A good example is when they're having a band meeting in Murray's office.  Bret gets a delivery from home!  It's an empty box, and Murray expresses his disappointment. :(

But Bret is happy because it's his favorite box! :D

Later in the show, we see Bret watching TV while he sits in the box.  Nobody made a big deal about the first box gag and nobody made a big deal about the second one.  We were allowed to notice it, or not.  The observant reaped the reward.

For my just-passed birthday, my mom got me one of those musical cards that plays a song when you open it.  I took my time examining it and eventually declared, to no one in particular, that it must work just like a CD.  Or headphones.  Or a Walkman.  I also considered growing out the sideburns and going as Jemaine for Halloween, but I couldn't find a suitable Bret.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: theinevitable on November 08, 2007, 12:34:29 am
man, I love that show.

Brett is my goal in terms of beard-style. His beard is so good.

But I do not at all know how to get that thing going. I think it has to do with places where my face grows hair that his does not?
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Beatrice on November 08, 2007, 05:51:17 am
yeah.

basically from 350 miles away i talk to my boyfriend on the phone and we sing each other fotc songs.  throughout the day things remind me of said boyfriend, jemaine and bret, simultaneously...

the thing i made:
[img width= height=]http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/1276/albifa3.jpg[/img]

i greatly enjoy the terms "jemainiac" and "bretrosexual" and they make me want to go back to new zealand (but what wouldn't?)  i saw an interview where they were asked if they were going to be models of the typical new zealand male and they laughed and said no, but actually i think they're pretty spot on.  dead pan but always good for a laugh, and too cute for their own good.

if you don't know what we're talking about here, look up all the videos and watch them over, and over, and over again...
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: theinevitable on November 08, 2007, 06:05:56 am
I have only seen like 9 of the episodes because we don't get HBO here. I am looking forwards to watching all of them when I am home for thanksgiving.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Turbo Ninja on November 08, 2007, 08:49:53 pm
Some kind soul put everything up on YouTube.  The shows are cut into thirds, but they're there and good enough for a fix if you're getting the shakes.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: melack on November 09, 2007, 01:27:55 am
After HBO aired the first episode, I immediately went to YouTube and watched all of their live acoustic performances. I laughed, without fail, at every song. But when I saw the subsequent episodes with these songs adapted for the show, they weren't quite as funny. Like, Business Time, for example; that one seemed way funnier when I watched it on YouTube, with just them and a couple guitars. But on the show... I don't know. They were still funny, but something was lost the second time around.

But the new songs! Those were still great. I especially loved Inner City Pressure and Foux De Fa Fa. And the dialogue between songs was surprisingly funny.

So, all in all, a great fuck*ng show. I hope they're doing a second season.

(P.S. I think YouTube also has a documentary on them from New Zealand TV where they went to SXSW... heartily recommended)
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: jaydub on November 09, 2007, 05:33:18 am
Glad to see you're still rocking the red locks, Bea.  That's a good look.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Doc on November 09, 2007, 06:42:53 am
Someone from work has been raving to me about these people and when I saw this thread I decided to cave in and check out some youtube vids but I'm just not feeling it. Could someone give me some recommendations? I've heard Jenny (which was funnier on repeated viewings), Alby the racist dragon (much laffs), Hiphopopotamous (so these guys are really akward rappers ok haha ok.... ok you can stop now) and She's so hot... Boom, which I couldn't make head nor tail of.
My NZ heritage demands that I embrace teh funny so please help me find the gold among their slag.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: melack on November 09, 2007, 07:25:48 am
The two best are

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WGoi1MSGu64

and

http://youtube.com/watch?v=WGOohBytKTU

and also

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FUVagbFcSUU
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: melack on November 09, 2007, 07:27:28 am
Upon further study, I may have been wrong labeling that trio of links as "the two best."
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Doc on November 09, 2007, 01:37:40 pm
Co-incidentally enough I'd already heard business time so you really did link me two new ones.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Doc on November 09, 2007, 01:44:54 pm
Yeah, ok All the Humans are Dead is hilarious.
But now the one on the left is reminding me of Benicio Del Toro. This isn't that bad, I'm just afraid he's going to cut me.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: melack on November 09, 2007, 06:00:10 pm
Yeah, they do a really unique type of humor that I happen to love, but I can definitely see how others wouldn't.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 09, 2007, 06:15:53 pm
I like some of the songs but... man, I dunno.

I hate to be all David Spade here but I liked it more back when it was called "Tenacious D".

I know that this is the easy lazy thing to say but, dammit, sometimes the easy lazy thing isn't always wrong.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: melack on November 09, 2007, 06:44:24 pm
If you could map a 'Deadpan' vs 'CUURAAAAAZY WOOOOYEAAAH' spectrum, the Conchords and D would be at completely opposite fuck*ng ends.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: theinevitable on November 09, 2007, 08:48:34 pm
Quote
If you could map a 'Deadpan' vs 'CUURAAAAAZY WOOOOYEAAAH' spectrum, the Conchords and D would be at completely opposite fuck*ng ends.

QFT.

My favorite song is "If you're into it" because it is so cute and awkward. Also, because the scene where he plays it and suddenly Jemaine pops up is hilarious.

I also like "I'm not Crying"
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Doc on November 09, 2007, 10:23:39 pm
If you could map a 'Deadpan' vs 'CUURAAAAAZY WOOOOYEAAAH' spectrum, the Conchords and D would be at completely opposite fuck*ng ends.
Yeah this is spot on, they both go in for a kind of self-parody but I think the humour comes from a very different place.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: KeithHernandez on November 10, 2007, 10:53:46 pm
I have to agree with everybody else here, LFM, but I like neither, although Flight of the Concords is slightly better.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: jough on November 11, 2007, 05:55:32 pm
A bunch of us at work are Concords fans, and every once in a while someone will say "I miss Britt" (Brett) and then someone else will chirp in with "Yeah, I miss Britt too" in their Kiwi accent.

Also, whenever I meet someone from New Zealand now I always say "I love Australia!"  Sometimes they get really pissed.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Beatrice on November 15, 2007, 08:39:21 pm
when i got back from new zealand last january i proudly told my australian climatology professor where i'd just been.  within two questions he ascertained i had not stepped onto the australian mainland and was therefore completely unimpressed. it is like kentucky versus indiana with the hoosiers jokes, but on a much larger scale.

bret you got it going on is good.

and has anyone mentioned Bowie in Space?  that whole episode is awesome. 

Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Beatrice on November 15, 2007, 08:42:17 pm
like this

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zs7fxLcBfI0&feature=related
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: jaydub on November 15, 2007, 11:53:22 pm
it is like kentucky versus indiana with the hoosiers jokes, but on a much larger scale.

The New Zealanders have a joke where "When a Kiwi emigrates to Oz, the average IQ increases on both sides of the Tasman Strait".  Aussies don't like that one much.  Sometimes they try to reverse it, but no ones buying that.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 16, 2007, 02:08:03 am
When in New Zealand, say "You guys are like the Canadians of Australia, right?"  They like that.
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: jough on May 28, 2008, 01:24:12 pm
NEW ZEALAND: WHY NOT?

I miss Brett.  Do you miss Brett?
Title: Re: Flight of the Conchords
Post by: smick on May 28, 2008, 10:08:06 pm
I saw them day before yesterday, just before I saw the Flaming Lips.

During "The Humans are Dead", Jemaine quipped, "Yoshimi could not save you."

It was good.