The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: side_show on November 12, 2007, 04:13:29 am

Title: Vanilla
Post by: side_show on November 12, 2007, 04:13:29 am
We have family that travels down to Mexico every year, and for some reason they bring me back vanilla everytime - because it "cheap and very good quality stuff."  I almost never bake, and when I do it's out of a box, but I have bottles and bottles of pure vanilla from their trips.  I hate for it to go to waste... any suggestions for the best way to use up a lot of vanilla?
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: linnea on November 12, 2007, 04:30:37 am
We have family that travels down to Mexico every year, and for some reason they bring me back vanilla everytime - because it "cheap and very good quality stuff."  I almost never bake, and when I do it's out of a box, but I have bottles and bottles of pure vanilla from their trips.  I hate for it to go to waste... any suggestions for the best way to use up a lot of vanilla?

Hmmm...Baking a bunch of stuff for the holidays would be really fun and a great way to churn through your vanilla stockpile. So would making intensely-flavored homemade vanilla ice cream. I'm sure there are better uses, i.e., uses that involve alcohol. I would love to have some of that authentic vanilla stuff, it sounds delicious.
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: wombat on November 12, 2007, 02:47:01 pm
Give it away to friends who bake? I don't think there are any recipes that would use massive quantities at once.

A suggestion I once read: if you have lots of an ingredient, go find the website of the association that promotes that ingredient - the dairy council, the pork producers, whatever - they are usually full of recipes. I wonder if there is a trade association for vanilla extract?
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: side_show on November 12, 2007, 04:09:33 pm
Ha.. right - the internet.  How can I forget to use the internet when I'm on the internet? 

www.vanilla.com has many a recipe, but some of it sounds pretty gross.  I don't want to eat a main entree that tastes like vanilla.  That just seems wrong to me.  I could pretend I'm on Iron Chef and make 5 courses of all vanilla inspired stuff from the site, but the idea makes me want to puke.  I like the taste of vanilla in a beverage or dessert, but not as a meal additive to giraffe.  I suppose if it were subtle enough... but I have about 2 liters worth of pure extract here! 
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 12, 2007, 04:44:20 pm
Is it in whole bean form? Whole vanilla beans go multiple bucks a pop.
Also, if you access to a high output laser, this trick will get you laid every time. Take a wine glass, place it upside down on the vanilla bean. Shoot the bean with the laser until you see a slight fog/mist inside the glass, let this happen. Now turn glass back upright and fill with wine. The oils of the vanilla bean have vaporised just enough to coat the inside of the glass with their magic. Delicious.
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: side_show on November 12, 2007, 06:00:14 pm
No - it's the liquid extract.  But you get serious points for suggesting using a laser.  Do you make this drink for you lady?
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 12, 2007, 07:07:42 pm
No - it's the liquid extract.  But you get serious points for suggesting using a laser.  Do you make this drink for you lady?
Naturally. Light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation isnt used enough in mixology.
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: CortJstr on November 15, 2007, 02:08:27 pm
I just saw this today.

Sea Bass with Vanilla Cream Sauce: http://www.theperfectpantry.com/2007/11/pure-vanilla-ex.html
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: linnea on November 16, 2007, 12:44:21 am
Dammit, s_s, please make a 'Merican sized batch of homemade vanilla ice cream. Baby Jesus commands you.

Also, some blueberry bread pudding with whiskey cream sauce would be an excellent accompaniment to said ice cream. You don't have to use the entire 2 liters of vanilla extract on one recipe. Maybe also bake some Christmas cookies for the neighbours?
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: chuanoplast on November 16, 2007, 05:31:10 am
How about spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, vanilla, spam, spam, spam, spam, and spam?
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: theinevitable on November 16, 2007, 05:38:38 am
oh my goodness, I forgot about Spam.
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: jaydub on November 16, 2007, 06:41:50 am
Sshh, dear, don't cause a fuss. I'll have your spam. I love it. I'm having spam spam spam spam spam spam spam vanilla spam spam spam and spam!

Oh dear.  Suddenly the s.p.a.m combination of letters ceases to have meaning for me.
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: side_show on November 16, 2007, 04:15:35 pm
Wait... what?  Vanilla giraffe?  Vanilla spam?  I think I just threw up a little bit - in my mind.
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: CortJstr on November 16, 2007, 06:23:46 pm
Wait... what?  Vanilla giraffe?  Vanilla spam?  I think I just threw up a little bit - in my mind.

Hey, you asked for non-baked goods and I provided. I've had successes with other recipes on that blog so I wouldn't dismiss the vanilla giraffe out of hand. You don't even need to use sea bass if that's an ecological concern.
Title: Re: Vanilla
Post by: linnea on November 17, 2007, 12:30:38 am
Heh... I think that chuanoplast has been awake for tooooooo long! Get some sleep, yo!