The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on November 15, 2007, 04:11:03 am
-
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/6892.html (http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1107/6892.html)
Granted only 20% said theyd sell their right to vote for an ipod, but nearly everyone polled had a price. It seems a year or four of A-CAP tuition pretty much forces the hand of any student.
As an economist I'd probably be willing to sell my vote for much lower than the price of an ipod, and I would definitely spring an iphone. My state will send its delegates to vote for the democratic candidate whether that candidate is dead or alive, so I might as well get something for me out of it.
Also, lets not forget that vote selling went on for a long time before we got the anonymous ballot. When voters could produce a receipt of their vote, they could sell that receipt to a political party. Those were the days, huh?
-
Here's a question for you:
What's the difference between voting for a candidate who promises you an I-pod (or a pint of whiskey, or $20) and voting for a candidate who promises you a tax cut?
In both cases, aren't you voting on the basis of your economic interest? Granted, the Ipod/whiskey/$20 option is a smaller scale/shorter-term reward. But from an ethical standpoint, how do those two behaviors differ?
-
well, there are some theories in which voting for the candidate whose positions are in your own self interest leads to the best results. This only works if everyone votes, and is capable of discerning their own best interest, though.
I don't think I buy it.
-
well, there are some theories in which voting for the candidate whose positions are in your own self interest leads to the best results. This only works if everyone votes, and is capable of discerning their own best interest, though.
I don't think I buy it.
Not to mention most other people's best interest being in line with yours.
-
Did anyone see the way the question was actually asked? You'd be surprised at how that can drive a conclusion.
If it was multiple choice, I call bullshit on the whole thing. Suggesting items to trade for a vote taints the question in my opinion.
If it was open ended, I'd be more likely to accept the conclusion depending on the phrasing.