The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: jay-ell on November 16, 2007, 03:18:51 pm
-
Buy it.
If you don't have a Wii, get one of those first. Then buy this game. It's just that good.
Nintendo seems to be moving towards games that encourage interaction between people of different skill levels playing together, and SMG is no exception. Imagine Super Mario 64. Now imagine that each room in the castle is a galaxy of planets to explore. Now imagine that, instead of playing lives and levels, your gaming companion can pick up an extra controller and pick up bonuses, stun enemies, and -- if you get the timing right -- help you do a "special co-star super jump." That's basically Super Mario Galaxies.
It's truer to SM64 than some of the more recent games, like the Paper Mario series or Super Mario Sunshine. It's a straightforward search-destroy-collect game, with the odd minigame (think race and puzzle special levels) thrown in for good measure. There are some puzzles to solve, some bosses to defeat, and worlds to unlock. Nothing groundbreaking. But it's fun. And it makes really good use of the Wii controller (P1 needs the nunchuck but P2 doesn't), especially for P2.
It's possible to play alone, but it's more difficult and less fun. I'd be happy to play P2 the whole way, but Pedro insists we swap out on level changes so I've had a fair amount of gameplay on both sides. If you've never played a Mario game, this would be difficult, but still fun. (If you've never played SM64, you can download it from the Wii Console for about $10. Well worth it.) And if you're an old-school Mario fan with a SO who gets annoyed that you're always playing video games without him/her, this is the perfect solution. P2 requires very little skill but a high level of involvement.
Much fun for two. Four thumbs up.
-
This is the first game since Paper Mario that pulled me away from the Virtual Console. It really is amazing. I'm a huge platformer fan, but have never really gotten into a 3d platformer since Mario 64 (I don't count New Super Mario Bros. since it has a fixed camera). Mario Sunshine was indeed a let down but Nintendo has once again proven themselves to be the Kings of Fun®.
-
Oh man, I want it. I've been spending so much $$ lately though. I suppose it's never going to go down in price though.
-
That is one thing I hate about Nintendo - they never lower the prices on their AAA first-party titles. I'm sure if you walked into an EB right now a new copy of Super Smash Bros. Melee would be at least $40.
Speaking of titles I want so bad I can taste them - the new Smash Bros. looks fuck*ng amazing. Online play? Level editor? Betting virtual coins on online matches? fuck*ng Sonic, Snake, Zero Suit Samus as playable characters???
OK, I need to stop now. I really wish I could forget this game existed until February.
-
I should note that if you can get to a Toys R Us this week, they are giving away $25 gift cards with the purchase of Super Mario Galaxies. So assuming you can use or sell the gift card, you can essentially get the game for $25. One per customer.
-
this game is awesome, and it makes me wish I had a Wii of my very own. I can play it on my roommate's, but...
I want to play it with my brother, man. he is like the mario master, and it would be such good bonding and stuff.
-
Oh man I want to play Super Mario Galaxy so bad. I even have a Wii and cash!
I just don't have a T.V.
-
[now can I wait 'till christmas!?!]
No. You can't.
What, you've never heard of the annual tradition of buying yourself a video game as a Thanksgiving present?
Because you *know* your wife is going to leave you home when she goes shopping on Black Friday. And you've got to have something to do besides watch football all day, right? For...for the children.
-
Man, last night I was at this party with this game on, it looked amazing. Like Mario64 on mushrooms.
I have a wii, but besides renting paper mario I never really liked it (well virtual console, but come on, I've been playing roms for years). I had multiple people try to buy my wii yesterday to be able to play this game. 20 page paper monday, 5 page paper tuesday, then mushrooms and mario galaxy over thanksgiving break. Oh hell yes.
-
I am playing it right now. so awesome. so awesome.
-
I just moved from my family's house (where there was a 46 inch HDTV that I could use to play my Wii and 360) to my own apartment (where I do not own any sort of TV). But I do have the game! I just have nothing to play it on until I drop the 9 benjamins on Amazon so I can get my cheap ass a 32 inch HDTV.
-
Like Mario64 on mushrooms.
That's a cann'n
-
I got it. Unfortunately, will not get to play it until tuesday, earliest.
I don't want to look back at the thread, but thanks to whoever mentioned the Toys R Us thing. My mom is the director of a pre-school and will split it with me next time I see her. She will then get to spend it and get money back from her work. Sweet.
-
um, yeah, I am buying Mass Effect when I get home on tuesday, speaking of awesome videogames.
-
update: not so much to say so far, other than that Mass Effect is kind of like playing a pretty good Sci-Fi movie.
but with kind of annoying controls and menus.
-
I have just ordered myself a 32 inch Samsung HDTV. Not the biggest, but it's perfect size for my new apartment. Now that I've moved away from The Family's house, I'll finally be able to play videogames again. Exciting!
-
I'm pretty sure the box is a misprint.
The proper plural is "Super Marios Galaxy", this is similar to Surgeons General.
-
Well, having bought the game for the SO as an anniversary gifts a couple weeks ago ("it's romantic because we can play together - can I be your star catcher?") I can tell you there are at least two different variety of different Marios - the best being Bee Mario. So damn cute. So the plural is likely an error, but who knows. Also, it is awesome and so fun.
-
Yes, Bee Mario is amazing.
-
The proper plural is "Super Marios Galaxy", this is similar to Surgeons General.
There is no way that either of those can be correct. That is so unnecessarily awkward and ugly sounding.
-
I got the game the day it came out, and it is an amazing game - possibly the best action game of all time - but the initial game is just too easy. The levels in Mario 64 required deep exploration and they never got boring. This game is afraid to go in depth and challange you like previous Mario games have. I'm pretty dissapointed on that front.
-
I'm pretty sure the box is a misprint.
The proper plural is "Super Marios Galaxy", this is similar to Surgeons General.
Depends if you have multiple Marios or multiple Galaxies.
This game has both.
It is also multiply super.
So technically, I think it should be Supers Marios Galaxies.
Which sounds entirely too Japanese for Western markets.
-
Also, because the Marios technically conquer the various Galaxies, like as in they rule them, it could become possessive plural: Supers Marios' Galaxies.