The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: side_show on November 23, 2007, 04:48:53 am
-
Huh. I'll be spending a good portion of Buy Nothing Day marketing programs for the theatre I work for.
-
I'll probably really buy nothing. But I won't feel any self-satisfaction over it.
-
I will be participating in Buy Nothing Day through necessity, as I have been working for 8 weeks and have only received $708.65 in compensation. I will receive my first full paycheck on the 30th.
Also, I question the timing of BND. Black Friday is the day that all the retailers get "back in the black" because it's such a high sales volume day. Choosing not to shop on that day will just make you miss out on heinous crowds and good sales. It's not going to put a dent in their wallets.
-
I buy nothing on the majority of days.
Unless I go to a local bar restaurant which I don't think this is trying to stop, but I probably will not do this tomorrow anyhow.
-
only received $708.65
Man. 700$. I know that is not enough money in the Real World, especially when you are owed more, but that is quite a number.
-
Man. 700$. I know that is not enough money in the Real World, especially when you are owed more, but that is quite a number.
That was the take-home amount and that was only for a few days' wages. Their payroll ends up being weeks behind, which I guess will be nice for if I leave. I can't wait to get back in the black.
-
Uh oh, I just bought a chai at Starbucks. Does that count?
-
I'm with Linnea -- I hate to pass up the incredibly good deals this weekend, but I simply don't have the cash until Pedro gets paid next week. Pedro's parents, brothers and sisters exchanged Christmas gifts yesterday because we'll be apart for actual Christmas, and I'm one of those early shoppers anyway, so I've already spent most of our Christmas budget. Normally I would just take a credit card and plan to pay it off in January, but we just got into a debt management program so all our credit cards are under voluntary freeze at the moment. But it kills me to see stuff I'm going to buy anyway on sale for half of what I'll probably end up paying for it.
Usually I use Black Friday to finish up the last few items on my list and then I'm done shopping for the year. Not going to be so lucky this year. Although I do have my in-laws done, and my nephew, Mom, and best friends' families. My 2 single friends get charity gifts, I've got to pick up a few more items to add to my cousin's son's package, and then I have my SIL (who is easy), Dad (who is hard), and brother (who is impossible). So it's not too bad -- I've only got a few things to do once we get money back in the bank.
I disagree with the whole activist purpose behind buy-nothing day because I think that it's neither effective (most people will buy the following day or the following weekend) nor fair (by punishing retail establishments, and I'm thinking here of Mom-and-Pop stores like the local toy store as well as major retailers like Target and Wal-Mart). De-consumerizing Christmas is one thing; de-consumerizing the biggest shopping day of the year is...well, just silly.
Also, I can't resist a bargain.
-
Yeah, what Mom said. Also, is there a link to this 'buy nothing day'? Who's behind it?
I'm thinking dirty hippies.
-
Yeah, what Mom said. Also, is there a link to this 'buy nothing day'? Who's behind it?
I'm thinking dirty hippies.
Aw jeez! Attack ad hominem!
From Wikipedia:
Buy Nothing Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Nothing_Day) is an informal day of protest against consumerism observed by social activists. In 2007, Buy Nothing Day falls on November 23rd in North America and November 24th internationally.[1] It was founded by Vancouver artist Ted Dave and subsequently promoted by the Canadian Adbusters magazine.
-
Buy Nothing Day (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buy_Nothing_Day) is an informal day of protest against consumerism observed by social activists. In 2007, Buy Nothing Day falls on November 23rd in North America and November 24th internationally.[1] It was founded by Vancouver artist Ted Dave and subsequently promoted by the Canadian Adbusters magazine.
Yup. Dirty hippies.
Some of my best friends are dirty hippies, mind you.
-
Between the nanny state and the social hugger-muggers I feel a need for a fenced enclosure, 5 gallons of gas and a Zippo, dig.
Death Camps for Hippies, awesome. Death Camp imagery is always awesome to bring up.
-
Death Camps for Hippies, awesome. Death Camp imagery is always awesome to bring up.
I thought that Death Camps for Hippies sounded like a punk band name, but then I realized that it's just because it sounds a lot like Death Cab for Cutie.
-
but... Death Cab for Cutie are like the opposite of a punk band.
My favorite is probably "John Cougar Concentration Camp."
-
so... kind of the opposite of a death camp, then. kind of like a camp where they don't kill you.
-
so... kind of the opposite of a death camp, then. kind of like a camp where they don't kill you.
No way man because that's even worse than a prison camp. The Happiness Patrol is out to fuck*ng get you.
-
Indeed, I'll do whatever I want with my souls.