The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Golfhaus on November 28, 2007, 12:43:33 am

Title: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: Golfhaus on November 28, 2007, 12:43:33 am
Single YouTube link ahoy! (http://youtube.com/watch?v=tWdgAMYjYSs) Happy 20th anniversary, pirate!

The story is explained in the video, NSFW (but not by a whole lot)
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 28, 2007, 01:26:56 am
Oh man, that's a good one.

I'm secretly obsessed with pirate television and radio.

It would be one of my great dreams fulfilled to pull something like that off.

If I ever have a film production company, I hope to name it after a pirate radio station that was in Syracuse when I was just a little kid... but that some of my college professors have hinted that they were involved with in hushed-tones and so forth.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: theinevitable on November 28, 2007, 01:31:58 am
i have had a similar dream ever since my 10th grade English teacher told us that she had been suspended from High School in her senior year for publishing an underground newspaper.

Also, the radio station I work at started out as just a kid broadcasting from his dorm room, and getting his friends to play records when he was at class.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 28, 2007, 01:51:55 am
wow what a waste. the guy hijacks the airwaves so that he can make noises and spank himself? Maybe its some kind of dada art i dont get.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 28, 2007, 02:12:51 am
Slack must be cut, Ennewhy.

Especially back then, the very idea that you COULD hack a television signal with anything was like being able to rewrite reality. This was back when many people still didn't even have cable, man, and back when cable was basically just an antenna at the highest point in an area sending all the signals it could get back down to everyone, even in many places where there was widespread cable.

ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS and... one or two independent stations IF you were in a big city. That was it, man, that was the totality of reality beyond your job and your family, six or seven channels.

That... that kind of reality could break down at all, it was like some kind of a magic spell.

It was like anything could happen, if even for a fleeting moment.

There were worlds out there where kids in stupid masks could break down all of the shared reality for a few precious seconds. Proof that anything was possible, really, no matter what the newspapers said. Those worlds might just be next-door, you know.

Anything was possible.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: Golfhaus on November 28, 2007, 02:28:57 am
Some friends and I had solid plans to build a pirate radio station, with transmitters mounted in a van so it never broadcast from the same place twice. All we needed was... more money and time and motivation.

A-CAP's "Uh... why?" opinion is what fascinates me about this piece. Why indeed. There was no political motivation, as there was when astronomers plastered Solidarity logos on Polish national television (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lztemas2fFI). It wasn't shock art, as when a group of Czechs made it appear that a "panorama" show with shots of the pleasant countryside had captured a nuclear detonation (http://czechtek.bloguje.cz/551695-an-artistic-group-interfered-with-the-czech-tv-broadcast-with-fictitious-nuclear-explosion.php). It wasn't even whiny bitching about the rates HBO charged (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Midnight_%28HBO%29). Indeed, it seems the reason why was because he COULD. And when it's all said and done, what better reason do you need?
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: melack on November 28, 2007, 02:33:30 am
Just watching this, I'm really glad I'm not old enough to remember what TV was like in the 80s. Effed up times, man.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: littlefallsmets on November 28, 2007, 02:46:54 am
Sometimes just proving that the current imposed shared reality is not impervious is more of a message than any "constructed" message could ever be.

Sometimes the most revolutionary theory you can espouse is to simply say that revolution is possible.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 15, 2007, 01:19:40 am
Just watching this, I'm really glad I'm not old enough to remember what TV was like in the 80s. Effed up times, man.

Cable was around in the 80s. I remember when MTV broadcast it's first music video (something I don't think they even do anymore, do they??)

Now, the 70's....that was some shit. We had 3 network affiliated local stations on VHF channels and 3 local non-affiliated stations on UHF. Tell you what, though, it was IMPOSSIBLE to sit in front of the TV for more than 2 hours at a time. It sucked that bad. And watching a movie meant 5 minutes of commercials for every 25 minutes of movie or so, unless it was a really good one, in which case: more commercials!

Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: smick on December 15, 2007, 02:02:13 am
Slack must be cut, Ennewhy.

Especially back then, the very idea that you COULD hack a television signal with anything was like being able to rewrite reality.

"Right now" is a very fleeting moment.   Right now, you can still duplicate this fellows work towards a television station.   

In a very very short amount of time, you will not be able to do what this guy did.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: AugustWest on December 15, 2007, 03:20:19 am
Cable was around in the 80s. I remember when MTV broadcast it's first music video (something I don't think they even do anymore, do they??)

Now, the 70's....that was some shit. We had 3 network affiliated local stations on VHF channels and 3 local non-affiliated stations on UHF. Tell you what, though, it was IMPOSSIBLE to sit in front of the TV for more than 2 hours at a time. It sucked that bad. And watching a movie meant 5 minutes of commercials for every 25 minutes of movie or so, unless it was a really good one, in which case: more commercials!



3 Networks + PBS on VHF, one independent UHF station.

And We LIKED it!
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 15, 2007, 03:27:25 am
Oh man, did I hate it.

When I was a little kid and "television" was eleven channels of cable... I would devote whole weekends to building makeshift antennae so that I could get the over-the-air Syracuse and Albany broadcast channels and get all those shows that the Utica stations didn't pick up.

We had Utica's NBC and ABC, Albany's ABC and proto-Fox, Syracuse's CBS and PBS, the three NYC super-independents and then... like... CNN and the Weather Channel.

It was fuck*ng unbearable. I would hoard out-of-market TV Guides just so I could know about the shows that I was missing.

I... I was a weird kid.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: Golfhaus on December 15, 2007, 04:44:21 am
To this day, I'm bothered by the fact that I have never had a problem with getting TBS, but could never get WWOR. More Braves baseball than I could ever fuck*ng stand, and precious little Mets ball. I know the contracts don't line up that way now, but still... bothered.

My DX experience was never with television... always radio. The day I realized I could attach a long-ass wire to my radio and pick up radio stations in Georgia from Virginia, I was fascinated. When I realized I could pick up The Ross Report... it was all over. I can still remember picking my jaw up off the floor when I heard JIM F'IN ROSS talking about WWF wrestling - this was still a few years before the two orgs would even acknowledge each other's existence, and long before the Monday Night Wars.

Then, the Christmas I was stricken with the flu, I got a shortwave radio. The family left me alone that night to go have dinner with my stepdad's family, and I spent the evening with the BBC and a bunch of stations I could identify as Spanish, but nothing more. I've said it somewhere before... probably on this forum... but my fascination with shortwave was grand.

Edit: lots of broadcast signal intrusion on radio (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_jamming), too. The warble jammers are my favorite.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: AugustWest on December 15, 2007, 06:17:08 am

When I was a little kid and "television" was eleven channels of cable...

Quote from:  Some old fart
3 Networks + PBS on VHF, one independent UHF station.

Quote from:  Some other old fart
Now, the 70's....that was some shit. We had 3 network affiliated local stations on VHF channels and 3 local non-affiliated stations on UHF.

Cry us a fuck*ng river, junior.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: theinevitable on December 15, 2007, 06:24:25 am
it reminds me of that recent (HORRIBLE) movie where a guy's younger self comes to the future to visit him. He is ecstatic that there are finally more channels-- only to declare after a montage of all the horrible shit that he watches that "there are 200 channels, and there's still nothing on."
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 15, 2007, 01:54:16 pm
First of all, this is pretty awesome, don't know why I missed it.


Second, I grew up in a rural area on the border of a suburb.  We did not get cable until I was like 14, and I think it was pretty good that way.  I actually did shit, or you know, read or something.  I still rarely, rarely watch tv unless it is sports, bill maher, or a very, VERY special show (Arrested Development and Curb Your... are the only two shows I can think of that I watch, and I usually download the new Curbs).  Oh, and Andy Rooney, maybe even all of 60 Minutes.  In fact, I have no access in my home to a t.v. signal, though I do have one for Wii and DVDs.

On the other hand, I was hell of sucked into the internet when I had to go back and live with my parents that one semester of college.  Oh man, since then I check the internet once a day (well, way more than that) and before I .... didn't.  At least the internet is justifiable in my opinion.  But seriously, I have pretty bad addiction problems, and I would say that the internet is up there with a couple others we have been over time and time again.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: CortJstr on December 16, 2007, 03:41:39 am
I was actually lucky TV-wise growing up. Where I lived we could pick up two copies of all 3 networks (Pittsburgh and Johnstown) and we even had two Foxes for a while in like 1988.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: pmcd9 on December 21, 2007, 04:17:01 am
I remember having the three networks + pbs and one channel on uhf.  We got a second uhf channel when I was about 14.

But I really don't recall it sucking.  I remember so many great shows back then.  I'd say that the content level has increased by a thousand fold at least, but the amount of it that's worth watching is about the same.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 21, 2007, 04:26:25 am
At my parents house because I am looking after my roommates dog and am not going to be around so much during christmas, and because my headlight went out and I paid for it to be fixed and they didn't fix it and I need that shit fixed and don't have more money and and , and I just had to go through four bullshit espn channels to get from the OU basketball game to the Utah Navy bowl game.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: Golfhaus on February 04, 2009, 11:54:52 pm
Harder to break into signals now with cable, they said. The days of hijacking a broadcast are over, they said.

Here's a c*ck in your face during the Super Bowl (http://www.tmz.com/2009/02/02/porn-clip-penetrates-super-bowl-broadcast), someone said.

Sorry it's a link to TMZ, but believe me, the other places I found the clip were... worse. Or better, depending on how you look at it.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: miles on February 05, 2009, 06:08:03 am
Oh man it's always so awkward when your dick gets lodged in your ##### when your co-star is trying to take it out.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: theinevitable on February 05, 2009, 06:17:11 am
Oh man it's always so awkward when your dick gets lodged in your ***** when your co-star is trying to take it out.
Title: Re: Broadcast signal intrusion
Post by: jay-ell on February 05, 2009, 02:54:59 pm
I $$$$$ you guys.