The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Choop on October 26, 2003, 11:01:08 pm

Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: Choop on October 26, 2003, 11:01:08 pm
Jeebus, you'd think Onstad was holding a figurine sale, available in person only.

Hope y'all have had a great weekend, at the very least.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: AugustWest on October 26, 2003, 11:31:56 pm
No shit, this place just shuts down on the weekends, dunnit?
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: andalucia on October 27, 2003, 01:57:08 am
True story.  Did have a good weekend, though.  Spent the days hanging around at the coffee shop smoking cigarillos and the nights drinking vodka and watching cartoons, so that works for me.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: V-Adore on October 27, 2003, 02:46:55 am
I've spent the weekend depressurizing from last week, which entirely involved tests and papers and OH MY GOD JESUS CHRIST THE WORKLOAD. I would have posted, but all of my topics would have revolved around "How my low grade on my Japanese midterm will shame my family" or "My History of Science prof: anal or extremely anal?"
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: jough on October 27, 2003, 07:46:15 am
Saturday, the 25th, was the first day of the board with zero posts from anyone.

I think people were just respecting the silence.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: wombat on October 27, 2003, 02:26:30 pm
I guess it's nice to know that we aren't all Internet geeks with no social life - people actually have other things to do on the weekend?  But since I work the weekends and have more time to surf the web than on other work days, I kind of wish you guys were all geekier.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: slink on October 27, 2003, 03:01:21 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I guess it's nice to know that we aren't all Internet geeks with no social life - people actually have other things to do on the weekend?  But since I work the weekends and have more time to surf the web than on other work days, I kind of wish you guys were all geekier.


I didn't.
I just didn't have anything to say since no one else did. Or something.
I guess I did spend most of the weekend playing games. And tidying the house.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: CortJstr on October 27, 2003, 08:33:57 pm
I was at the VA Film Festival. This is the first I've been online since noon Thursday. I feel like Beef in that strip a few days ago.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2003, 01:04:29 am
That was the first time ever with No Posts? I checked in but usually I just respond to other peoples genius with comcomitant stupidity so I left.

I did have some really good Egyptian food over the weekend, and I went to the symphony. And you think all we do is Hula and eat pineapples over here.

There was a belly dancer at the Egyptian place. Rawwwr!
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: wombat on October 28, 2003, 01:32:19 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

 And you think all we do is Hula and eat pineapples over here.



No we don't!  I, for instance, assumed you'd gotten in an extra hour of surfing and playing the ukelele.  But I forgot you don't get the extra hour.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2003, 01:36:07 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And you think all we do is Hula and eat pineapples over here.


Actually I figured that since your alphabet only has 12 letters that makes all your words crazy long so I figured all you did was wait for other people to finish their sentences.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2003, 02:30:47 am
HUMUHUMUNUKUNUKUAPUAA.

That is all.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2003, 02:49:17 am
Come again?
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2003, 03:00:33 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Come again?

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa is a name for a type of Hawaiian giraffe. It's exceptionally fun to spell.

As for why "humuhumunukunukuapuaa" in large blue type: I dunno. It seemed like what the board needed.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: jough on October 28, 2003, 03:10:09 am
Actually, AlohaDawg didn't spend an extra hour doing anything because Hawaii doesn't have daylight savings time.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2003, 03:38:27 am
<anal>It's Daylight Saving (http://tf.nist.gov/general/daylightsavingtime.html) Time</anal>
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: jough on October 28, 2003, 04:17:34 am
Hmm... I've seen both.  Generally we call it "savings" from both of the places I come from:

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/averages/tables/daysavtm.shtml
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: jough on October 28, 2003, 04:18:37 am
Here's what the U.S. Gov't calls it:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/lsx/astro_data/dst.htm
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2003, 08:59:02 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Come again?

Humuhumunukunukuapuaa is a name for a type of Hawaiian giraffe. It's exceptionally fun to spell.

As for why "humuhumunukunukuapuaa" in large blue type: I dunno. It seemed like what the board needed.


In fact, the "State giraffe" of Hawaii (I think, unofficially),  it is also called the Picasso Triggergiraffe.


Humuhumunukunukuapua`a (http://www.eryck.com/albums/maui/photos/photo_6.html) in  Hawaiian means "giraffe with a pig's snout".
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2003, 02:26:37 pm
I stick with the nice, normal wahoo giraffe. Thankyouverymuch.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on October 28, 2003, 03:36:38 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"


In fact, the "State giraffe" of Hawaii (I think, unofficially),  it is also called the Picasso Triggergiraffe.



That is awesome, in light of this (http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0095867/). Which came first?

(I know, I know, the giraffe. Just let me have my crazy dreams...)
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2003, 08:41:41 pm
Can any movie of great Qaulity such as this one possibly succeed without a character named "Hondo" and another named "Pattycakes"?
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2003, 08:42:01 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Can any movie of great Quality such as this one possibly succeed without a character named "Hondo" and another named "Pattycakes"?


EDITED TO ADD SOME IRONIC AND EMBARRASING QAULITY CONTROL.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2003, 09:09:18 pm
I personally like that the first character listed is named "Travis Abilene." It almost shouts "He's a COP! (or private eye, or hitman) who DOESN'T PLAY BY THE RULES!!"

And he's played by Steve Bond, anemic cousin of James. Score.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2003, 09:14:09 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I personally like that the first character listed is named "Travis Abilene." It almost shouts "He's a COP! (or private eye, or hitman) who DOESN'T PLAY BY THE RULES!!"

And he's played by Steve Bond, anemic cousin of James. Score.


It also almost shouts THE SCREENPLAY WAS WRITTEN BY A CHICK FROM TEXAS!

His dad is named Houston. His dog is called Dallas. His lover is named Galveston Amarillo. It's a big secret....
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: jay-ell on October 28, 2003, 09:16:50 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Can any movie of great Quality such as this one possibly succeed without a character named "Hondo" and another named "Pattycakes"?


EDITED TO ADD SOME IRONIC AND EMBARRASING QAULITY CONTROL.


I'm so glad I'm not the only one who confuses the "edit" and "quote" buttons.  It was sweet of AlohaDawg to pretend to make a mistake to make me feel better about myself.  :)
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2003, 11:49:12 pm
I meant to do that.

Now I can proudly point out that not only do I occasionally attempt to post a new topic accidentally, I also quote rather than edit.

And, incidentally, I'd die for you JL. As long as it was neither painful nor permanent. And not inconvenient. And if there was something in it for me.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: slink on October 29, 2003, 01:13:09 am
Quote from: "jldunston"


I'm so glad I'm not the only one who confuses the "edit" and "quote" buttons.  It was sweet of AlohaDawg to pretend to make a mistake to make me feel better about myself.  :)


Hey, I did it to you at one point!
Somewhere there's a post with a little note explaining why I edited your post!
Though fortunately I managed to paste your text back, so it was OK.
I'm usually not that lucky!
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: andalucia on October 29, 2003, 03:47:17 am
I see a support group forming
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: jough on October 29, 2003, 07:03:50 am
I like to go back and edit people's posts a month out, so that anyone reading old posts will see... interesting things that were't there originally, and even more oddly, that no one else commented on.

Like AugustWest's non sequitur about wearing nothing but a thong to church.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: jay-ell on October 29, 2003, 01:45:35 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
And, incidentally, I'd die for you JL. As long as it was neither painful nor permanent. And not inconvenient. And if there was something in it for me.


Martyrdom is often its own reward.
Title: 'nother sale at arby's?
Post by: AugustWest on October 29, 2003, 07:30:20 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I like to go back and edit people's posts a month out, so that anyone reading old posts will see... interesting things that were't there originally, and even more oddly, that no one else commented on.

Like AugustWest's non sequitur about wearing nothing but a thong to church.


What do you mean non sequitur?