The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Nabubrush on December 08, 2007, 02:51:45 am

Title: A different photo thread
Post by: Nabubrush on December 08, 2007, 02:51:45 am
This was a hoot and a holler - although not how I thought the big excitement this time home was going to play out:

(http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a274/Nabubrush/Bruiser.jpg)
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 08, 2007, 02:59:11 am
Therein MUST lie a story.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Nabubrush on December 08, 2007, 03:01:29 am
Let's say, at this point, that I prefer young men to behave like gentlemen when they are out in public, and if they have a problem with that I am willing to help them out in terms of knowing what proper behavior is.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 08, 2007, 03:31:32 am
A lover... a wanderer... a fighter...

We're gonna find out you're a Highlander soon, aren't we, you immortal son-of-a-bitch?
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 08, 2007, 03:46:32 am
mmmmm. what a man.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: AugustWest on December 08, 2007, 04:00:33 am
Studly.  Simply studly.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 08, 2007, 04:46:32 am
mmmmm. what a man.
Im adding this to the cache of evidence that proves youre at least bisexual.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 08, 2007, 04:53:21 am
man, you have no idea.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: linnea on December 08, 2007, 05:39:28 am
Damn, Nabu! How many stitches did you get? Crazy.

Also, A-CAP...shutup, shutup.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: V-Adore on December 08, 2007, 08:31:16 am
That, good sir, is going to leave a majestic scar.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 08, 2007, 03:56:48 pm
Dude. 

Dude. 

Seriously, dude. 

You OK? 
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Nabubrush on December 08, 2007, 05:58:11 pm
Dude. 

Dude. 

Seriously, dude. 

You OK? 

This is where I say that you should be worried for the other guy.

I'm fine. They glued it shut and gave me Vicodin.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: lprkn on December 08, 2007, 08:29:47 pm
I like your face in the picture. It is the face of steely-eyed resolve.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 09, 2007, 04:23:53 am
This is where I say that you should be worried for the other guy.

Yeah, you should see his knuckles!  They're all torn up!


I kid, I kid!  Nabu came to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and he's all out of bubble gum.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: chuanoplast on December 09, 2007, 04:55:43 am
That photo is so intense, it is used to power energy drinks.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Dexter on December 09, 2007, 05:03:33 am
Yeah, you should see his knuckles!  They're all torn up!


I kid, I kid!  Nabu came to kick ass and chew bubble gum, and he's all out of bubble gum.
God help us all if he runs out of ass.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 09, 2007, 07:05:26 am
I know.

Thank God he's the king of getting ass and hence will never run out.

The universe works in mysterious ways.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Doc on December 11, 2007, 12:56:13 pm
Im adding this to the cache of evidence that proves youre at least bisexual.
Everyone is gay for Nabu. Whether they want to be or not.

Way to bring back chivalry and manly violence Nabu.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: sunnystar on December 12, 2007, 12:13:00 am
How can this picture not be appreciated? By men or women? A rugged, good looking man who used those same rugged, good looks to only get a small, yet sexy, laceration on the face in what I can only assume was a raucous bar fight that he won.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Doc on December 12, 2007, 06:58:44 am
He wouldn't have got the scratch at all except he head-butted the other guy so damn hard. The man he head-butted no longer has a face.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Drygioni on December 13, 2007, 01:29:32 am
Eh, basically... I don't want to seem insensitive here; Nabu, I've no doubt what you did was the right thing, and the guy you did it to was a complete fuck who fully deserved it. I hope that's clear. But I don't like the posting of a war-wound picture, with subsequent macho 'I'm fine, you should have seen what I did to the other guy' stuff. It's not so much that even, it's the fawning here. I'll explain my ridiculous viewpoint:

Recently, I was involved in a similar altercation, which (predictably, all fights with me tend to go this way) involved me, Mr Manly Man, coming to the aid of a woman being harassed by a guy. I'd like to say I left the fight with a Nabu style scar with the other guy in pieces, but I've got a black eye, gashed arm/chest/face and about five broken fingers courtesy of three grown men (his mates were around the corner) and a flick-knife. (Please don't offer any sympathies, what I did was stupid and not to be encouraged.)

If I'd won, I'd doubtlessly be proud (and in a way I did, the woman was fine which was my original objective), but being on the losing side is horrible. I was humiliated and put in great physical pain, and if the fight had gone the other way for you, Nabu, it would be horrible for us all. It's easy for people to say 'Wow, what a sexy scar' 'Nabu takes names and kicks ass with impunity', but I may be left with some very, very ugly scars, and violence is an ugly, ugly thing. I fuck*ng hate seeing it glorified in this way.

And fuck, now I sound bitter that Nabu won his fight and I didn't. I'm really glad you're (relatively) fine Nabu, I like you a lot and don't question your judgement on what you did, and the fact you're okay is far more important than my stupid feelings on you posting a picture of yourself. Don't get into another fight anytime soon, though.


Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Doc on December 13, 2007, 02:04:42 am
I think a fair amount of our fawning is tongue in cheek though, we say stuff like 'you should have seen the other guy' because that is the dorky thing someone would have said in the 50s and we are so post modern and ironic that saying it in an unironic way makes it funny.

Sorry to hear about your troubles though, I hope your fingers are going to mend alright?
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 13, 2007, 02:33:35 am
Quote
and in a way I did, the woman was fine which was my original objective

I mean... I would say that this means you did win, as long as you aren't looking at the fight as a macho contest.
Also, I don't know if being beaten by 3 grown men with a knife really counts as Losing.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: AugustWest on December 13, 2007, 03:16:27 am
Hey Judy!  How come we don't see you around so much anymore?
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Dexter on December 13, 2007, 03:17:49 am
Hey Judy!  How come we don't see you around so much anymore?

I've got a black eye, gashed arm/chest/face and about five broken fingers
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: jay-ell on December 13, 2007, 02:08:40 pm
A guy I dated one time had a scar from (he said) getting stabbed by a drunken Minnesota redneck while protecting a woman who was being sexually assaulted by aforementioned redneck. 

I thought that was pretty sexy.  HOWEVER: this is because he was, in general, a lover, not a fighter. 

A man (or woman) who is usually peaceful but is willing to fight when someone else's welfare is at stake is awesome.  The fighting is not awesome.  The willingness to put oneself in harm's way is very awesome. 

So, Judy, you should not beat yourself up about this, nor about the fact that my creepy Mrs. Robinson crush from across the pond will only burn the brighter for it. 

Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: linnea on December 14, 2007, 02:42:39 am
A guy I dated one time had a scar from (he said) getting stabbed by a drunken Minnesota redneck while protecting a woman who was being sexually assaulted by aforementioned redneck. 

I thought that was pretty sexy.  HOWEVER: this is because he was, in general, a lover, not a fighter. 

A man (or woman) who is usually peaceful but is willing to fight when someone else's welfare is at stake is awesome.  The fighting is not awesome.  The willingness to put oneself in harm's way is very awesome. 

So, Judy, you should not beat yourself up about this, nor about the fact that my creepy Mrs. Robinson crush from across the pond will only burn the brighter for it. 

Seconded.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Nabubrush on December 25, 2007, 07:46:22 pm
Eh, basically... I don't want to seem insensitive here; Nabu, I've no doubt what you did was the right thing, and the guy you did it to was a complete fuck who fully deserved it. I hope that's clear. But I don't like the posting of a war-wound picture, with subsequent macho 'I'm fine, you should have seen what I did to the other guy' stuff. It's not so much that even, it's the fawning here. I'll explain my ridiculous viewpoint:

Recently, I was involved in a similar altercation, which (predictably, all fights with me tend to go this way) involved me, Mr Manly Man, coming to the aid of a woman being harassed by a guy. I'd like to say I left the fight with a Nabu style scar with the other guy in pieces, but I've got a black eye, gashed arm/chest/face and about five broken fingers courtesy of three grown men (his mates were around the corner) and a flick-knife. (Please don't offer any sympathies, what I did was stupid and not to be encouraged.)

If I'd won, I'd doubtlessly be proud (and in a way I did, the woman was fine which was my original objective), but being on the losing side is horrible. I was humiliated and put in great physical pain, and if the fight had gone the other way for you, Nabu, it would be horrible for us all. It's easy for people to say 'Wow, what a sexy scar' 'Nabu takes names and kicks ass with impunity', but I may be left with some very, very ugly scars, and violence is an ugly, ugly thing. I fuck*ng hate seeing it glorified in this way.

And fuck, now I sound bitter that Nabu won his fight and I didn't. I'm really glad you're (relatively) fine Nabu, I like you a lot and don't question your judgement on what you did, and the fact you're okay is far more important than my stupid feelings on you posting a picture of yourself. Don't get into another fight anytime soon, though.

I ought to reply here. I suppose I tossed this in here because I haven't gotten into a fight since the 5th grade, which was basically before 95% of you were roaming the Earth, and that altercation involved me pushing a guy down. I absolutely do not endorse fighting. I never fight. However, after never fighting for all that time (and having plenty of opportunities that other people might have taken) I guess I had just had enough. I won't say I'll never get in a fight again, but I think it's very unlikely. Afterwards I said to my wife "wow, it's good he didn't have a knife or a gun" and she started crying. So, yeah. I ain't feel good about this. Maybe I shouldn't have posted this, but it was just such a bizarre thing to have happened to me. When I was getting up to confront the guy my brain was sort of screaming "what the fuck are you doing? You're going to get beaten senseless!" It was just so out of character. Anyway, sorry about any adverse effects this might have had.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: side_show on December 26, 2007, 08:52:55 pm
In highschool I was at a dance, actually in the middle of the gym dancing around, and BLAM! I was clocked in the face, sitting on the floor, seeing stars.  Some girl I barely knew, who hated me - but just sort of hated everyone equally - just came up to me an punched me for no reason.

Also, when I was a kid, I was chasing our dog around our camper trailer in circles while it was parked in our drive way, while wearing a brand new pair of dress shoes.  I somehow managed to slip at just the right time and got a trailer hitch right in the eye.  I had a swollen shut black eye for quite a while.

I know what it's like to be clocked in the face.  I know what it's like to have a horrible black eye.  Yet neither situation had anything to do with termoil.  I collect experiences like other folks collect postcards, but I'm hella' glad neither of these ones came to me the normal way they do.   
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: pmcd9 on December 27, 2007, 07:36:55 pm
At the age of about 8-9 I got hit in the eye with a bat.  I had a black eye for months.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: jaydub on December 27, 2007, 07:46:23 pm
Whe I was 11 I got pounded in the eye, twice, during a fight.  (a teacher came and carried me away - so it went down as a loss).  My eye didn't blacken, which seemed weird to me.  Apparently I don't bruise much.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: V-Adore on December 29, 2007, 11:44:16 pm
The only thing even close to a fight I was ever in didn't result in any injuries. (Long story short: I was at the municipal library one day after school in seventh grade, a kid from school who hated me for no good reason came up and started harassing me, I objected, he stuck his fist near my face, I grabbed his wrist, I yelled and got out.) Still freaked the shit out of me, though.

In terms of sport-ball-related injuries, I was hit in the head a few times by baseballs/softballs and once had my glasses broken by a football, but thankfully there were never any black eyes involved.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 30, 2007, 05:45:50 am
One time I got in a fight with like the whole high school football team.  I got knocked out in one punch (nose tackle), fell in such a way I broke all three bones in my ankle area then this other crazy ass guy kicked my in the head like 4 or 5 times, then the guy who knocked me out had to drag the other guy off of me.  It was weird, I don't even really know what happened.  I was kind of friends with the guy who knocked me out, both before and after the fight.

I haven't really been in any other fights recently, but I used to be good at boxing around freshman year of high school, just fighting my friends w/gloves and stuff.

Oh, 3 years ago I knocked out one of my friends teeth in drunken boxing, with gloves again.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 30, 2007, 08:52:35 pm
Quote
I still scan people and places and know how I'd turn their lights out though. Pragmatically, I find assessing threats and measures good insurance for the rare necessity.

This place?  Ok, I'd run right over there, and flick that switch-- BAM. Lights out.

"oohhh asherhusband, you're so dreammyyy"
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 30, 2007, 09:11:30 pm
oh, no, I was imitating what you do. Why would I refer to myself as asherhusband? I have no interest in stealing someone else's wife or lady.


except that one guy, and I am pretty sure you are not him. Unless... you're 19 and live in Jersey? Josh?
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: V-Adore on December 30, 2007, 10:18:31 pm
If Asherdan is 19 and lives in Jersey, I have a lot of paradigm shifting to do.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Doc on December 31, 2007, 03:49:46 pm
The world would be turned upside down.
The new year ushers in hell of revalations.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 31, 2007, 05:10:35 pm
If Asherdan is 19 and lives in Jersey, I have a lot of paradigm shifting to do.
Id have an underaged friend to buy liquor for.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: theinevitable on December 31, 2007, 06:36:38 pm
hey, funny story.I'm 19...
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: V-Adore on December 31, 2007, 11:42:43 pm
I can't picture A-CAP buying Inev liquor as ending in anything other than tears. Hot, salty, 19-year-old-meets-arachno-capitalist tears.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: lprkn on January 01, 2008, 12:31:08 am
Inev hot? Sure. Salty, not so much.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Doc on January 01, 2008, 12:54:22 am
arachnocapitalist would charge comission and Inev would be too uncomfortable to complain.
Later he would share the booze with a Hot Friend and nothing would occur.

Just teasin' y'all...
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 01, 2008, 01:54:05 am
arachnocapitalist would charge comission and Inev would be too uncomfortable to complain.
Damn right, I aint running a fuck*ng charity here. Youngins pay a fee to meet or exceed the marginal cost of my time and energy.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 01, 2008, 06:24:22 am
I don't like the implication that I am incapable of scoring with a hot friend, Doc.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Doc on January 01, 2008, 06:52:55 am
I didn't say incapable, just that most of your stories involving hot friends involve not scoring rather than scoring. Also it's really not funny if it ends with 'Inev uses the alcohol to incapacitate a hot friend and takes advantage of her like the sexual predator he is.'
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: side_show on January 01, 2008, 07:31:05 pm
Damn right, I aint running a fuck*ng charity here. Youngins pay a fee to meet or exceed the marginal cost of my time and energy.

A fee!
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: wombat on January 01, 2008, 07:54:10 pm
just that most all of your stories involving hot friends involve not scoring rather than scoring.

Fixed that for you.

Maybe there's a reason he's called 'inevitable'?
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 01, 2008, 07:55:14 pm
..could the fee be paid by the fact that we would drink the alcohol together, and have a grand ol' time just getting in all kinds of trouble?
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: side_show on January 01, 2008, 07:59:33 pm
See, my thought is that inevitably one of the ladies he finds so unbelievably beautiful will fall in love with him.  Like a Woody Allen thing (not that inev looks like Woody Allen).  But really, if a lady falls in love with you based on you finding her beautiful and fawning over her, then she is probably pretty shallow.  Hopefully you get to bang ladies that are fed by more than just ego stroking.  I guess I think that finding someone is inevitable.  Maybe that's not true, but these things seem to work out for those who are open to love, even if they work out in weird ways that don't look like the situation you originally wanted.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: linnea on January 01, 2008, 08:00:42 pm
..could the fee be paid by the fact that we would drink the alcohol together, and have a grand ol' time just getting in all kinds of trouble?

In an effort to repay the good karma I had as an underaged punk when my older friends bought me alcohol, I would not charge a lame-ass fee or commission. And I would not make theinev do anything creepy or Mrs. Robinsonesque for the alcohol.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 01, 2008, 08:03:48 pm
oh, come on. Not even a little Mrs Robinsonesque?? I'm disappointed in you.


smells, that is nice to hear. I would like to think that I am not a fawn-er. I just think that a lot of girls are attractive. I do not really pursue random makeouts, either, so.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: linnea on January 01, 2008, 08:13:53 pm
oh, come on. Not even a little Mrs Robinsonesque?? I'm disappointed in you.


smells, that is nice to hear. I would like to think that I am not a fawn-er. I just think that a lot of girls are attractive. I do not really pursue random makeouts, either, so.

Yeah, but you like scrawny girls with short hair. Your heart wouldn't be in it.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 01, 2008, 10:18:46 pm
OK, people. I like skinny girls. Out of the girls I have dated, only 1 has been thin. It is a preference, not a necessity. It is mostly a thing similar to how short guys date short girls, I think. It is weird to me when my girlfriend is bigger than me. Which, you know, was an issue when I dated a girl who was on Crew. I am not some kind of normal-sized-woman-hater. The girls I go for are usually, you know, nice girls with pretty faces and interests which I enjoy.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: Doc on January 01, 2008, 10:22:58 pm
I would like to think that I am not a fawn-er. I just think that a lot of girls are attractive. I do not really pursue random makeouts, either, so.

See, you're just a gentleman, that's all.

For the record I'd score you booze for free, but then if you were close enough for me to give you booze you could buy your own.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 01, 2008, 10:23:45 pm
I kind of have two "types"... chunky zesty hot-librarian types and amazonian six-foot-tall volleyball player type girls. I... have only successfully dated the first category. haha.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: jough on January 01, 2008, 11:15:53 pm
I guess somebody forgot the first two rules of Fight Club.
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: V-Adore on January 02, 2008, 07:32:15 am
I guess somebody forgot the first two rules of Fight Club.

It took me a second to get this, and then I realized: you were actually on topic. My God!

Anyway... I don't necessarily have a type, I think. I have an aesthetic appreciation for tall gangly guys, but pretty much any guy is a possibility as long as he's interesting and, let's be honest here, doesn't think I'm completely physically repulsive. Low Self-Esteem, Go!
Title: Re: A different photo thread
Post by: theinevitable on January 02, 2008, 08:52:19 am
watching La Dolce Vita with my friend and pointing out which women I thought were attractive... while he heartily disagreed... made me realize that I have a very specific type:
"any woman who looks like she is from the 60s."