The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: linnea on December 09, 2007, 06:29:41 pm

Title: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: linnea on December 09, 2007, 06:29:41 pm
Mr. Onstad just mentioned this on the front page: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320193908630

He painted this three years ago, in 2004. Weird. I wonder if he just doesn't paint much anymore, or if he's trying to get more holiday merch out there.

Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: lprkn on December 09, 2007, 08:08:17 pm
Perhaps he didn't consider it of sufficient quality before, but now the siren song of the holiday moneys has lowered his standards.

I still think that the Phillipe painting on the Vespa is tres awesome.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: Golfhaus on December 09, 2007, 09:29:51 pm
I wrote to him before asking about the possibility of commissioning something for our living room wall. Never heard back from him.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 09, 2007, 09:34:36 pm
I wrote to him before asking about the possibility of commissioning something for our living room wall. Never heard back from him.
As in, you wanted Onstad to come in and paint your living room wall? Or you wanted to direct him to paint something you could hang on your wall?
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: Golfhaus on December 09, 2007, 10:06:20 pm
The latter... though how awesome would the former have been? People coming from miles around to see it, like the SaniTaco stand.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: linnea on December 09, 2007, 11:03:01 pm
I thought he posted something about being too busy to take commissions? Perhaps that's why he never responded.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: Golfhaus on December 09, 2007, 11:05:18 pm
Huh... don't recall that. If so, then I don't feel so bad.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: robot_god on December 10, 2007, 05:54:58 am
I remember pretty clearly when the last painting auction was run, but I didn't realize that was over two years ago.  Have I really been reading Achewood for over two years now?  Really?  Am I... developing diabetes?
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: dejavroom on December 10, 2007, 11:00:17 am
My God. That son of a bitch is *ugly*.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: side_show on December 10, 2007, 08:09:18 pm
Yikes, that is a low quality piece of work.  Especially having seen the other paintings Onstad has done.  It's sort of encouraging though.  Like maybe I should put more work into making paintings.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: jaydub on December 11, 2007, 12:37:14 am
Like maybe I should put more work into making paintings.

Maybe if you had a popular webcomic with a rogue messageboard audience you could make money like O.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: side_show on December 11, 2007, 02:20:04 pm
To be truly rogue, we should make and sell our own fan art.  It's the perfect combination of pissing Onstad off while still exhibiting fan-dom for the work.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: robot_god on December 11, 2007, 10:51:10 pm
Oh wow, it's almost at a thousand dollars now.  CraZZZZy.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 11, 2007, 11:33:36 pm
The two bidders fighting this battle: one just buys N64 video games,  the other actually buys art.    I think one of them is putting him on.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: linnea on December 12, 2007, 01:47:31 am
Crap on a crap cracker, it's at $960 and it's still got 2 days and five hours left to go. I agree, Ash... I do hope that he gets top dollar for it. Someday when I'm not po' (i.e., I cannot afford the last two letters of the word "poor") I would like to buy some Achewood original art.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: theinevitable on December 12, 2007, 02:12:47 am
Quote
po' (i.e., I cannot afford the last two letters of the word "poor")

OH man, my dad makes this joke about his childhood. Except, he grew up in Boston, so it's like "powah."
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: Doc on December 12, 2007, 10:58:34 am
OH man, my dad makes this joke about his childhood. Except, he grew up in Boston, so it's like "powah."
Swanky Bostonites, all your fancy extra vowel sounds.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: theinevitable on December 12, 2007, 08:25:03 pm
nah, man, the accent that he had in his childhood was not very swanky. not at all.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: melack on December 12, 2007, 09:34:22 pm
I'm hoping for these two people to keep raising the bid to exorbitant levels just so Baby Onstad can have the greatest Christmas of all time. That little tyke deserves it. She's such a trooper.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: jaydub on December 12, 2007, 10:59:38 pm
I was wondering if was in fact the artist himself selling it, or someone else who had previously bought the painting.  A quick check of the seller location (San Carlos, just up the highway from Palo Alto) indicates it is, plus the feedback he has left for other ebayers is sometimes done in character voices: "This guy, he is best customer of all time. A white light surrounds his account." or "Lovely transaction, all quite pleasant, item as promised. Thank you."
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: linnea on December 13, 2007, 02:46:01 am
I was wondering if was in fact the artist himself selling it, or someone else who had previously bought the painting.  A quick check of the seller location (San Carlos, just up the highway from Palo Alto) indicates it is, plus the feedback he has left for other ebayers is sometimes done in character voices: "This guy, he is best customer of all time. A white light surrounds his account." or "Lovely transaction, all quite pleasant, item as promised. Thank you."

Yeah, boy*****1 is Chris Onstad. Don't worry, it's not some scalper looking to make a quick buck off Achewood fans.
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: mochicrunk on December 18, 2007, 05:48:49 am
The two bidders fighting this battle: one just buys N64 video games,  the other actually buys art.    I think one of them is putting him on.

Which one do you suppose was the put on?
Title: Re: First Achewood Painting on auction block in 2 years
Post by: linnea on January 16, 2008, 11:54:54 pm
Oh wow, it's almost at a thousand dollars now.  CraZZZZy.

Yeah it looks like it sold for $960. Daaaaaamn.