The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on December 13, 2007, 11:40:48 pm

Title: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 13, 2007, 11:40:48 pm
Merry Christmas (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2107691469/)
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: jaydub on December 14, 2007, 12:17:48 am
I like the antlers on your van.  I think I may be inspired...
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: linnea on December 14, 2007, 02:41:14 am
DAAAAMN! Paul, that is hell of awesome. That made my day.

Thank you.
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: wombat on December 14, 2007, 03:09:21 am
Whoa. That is the holiday spirit, all right.
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: V-Adore on December 14, 2007, 03:15:59 am
Vantlers!
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: AugustWest on December 14, 2007, 04:05:27 am
Vantlers!

tinycantlers.
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: Doc on December 14, 2007, 05:01:11 am
Holy shit Paul that is crazy awesome. Your pose in that first pic reminds me of a neon-santa ninja. Hell of awesome.
Way to spread the cheer there dude.
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: side_show on December 14, 2007, 02:08:33 pm
Awe - something about that pic makes me want to give you a hug.  Since I can't, here's a can.  You're awfully cute with all the cheer and such.
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: Limmo on December 14, 2007, 05:50:39 pm
canned for large quantities of pure holiday awesome
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: robot_god on December 15, 2007, 12:16:05 am
If I saw something like that on the road... well, that is a vehicle I would keep my distance from.
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: wombat on December 15, 2007, 01:08:16 am
If I saw something like that on the road... well, that is a vehicle I would keep my distance from.

Still, you'd say the same of Santa's sleigh, right?
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: chuanoplast on December 15, 2007, 10:53:10 am
Can I call shotgun? Even though I probably won't get to ride in the vantler?
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: robot_god on December 15, 2007, 11:28:08 am
Still, you'd say the same of Santa's sleigh, right?

A sleigh on the highway is magical.  A van with antlers is most likely Buffalo Bill.
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 15, 2007, 11:35:03 am
I like the other picture in the set of the sign that says "Joseph of Nazareth - Jesus's Stepfather"
All conjuring images of an adolescent Jesus yelling at his step-dad in the carpenter workshop, "YOU CANT TELL ME WHAT TO DO, YOURE NOT MY DAD! MY REAL DAD COULD KICK YOUR ASS!....I HAVE MAGIC POWERS!"
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: theinevitable on December 15, 2007, 11:46:10 am
good lord. I had never thought about that issue, the poor guy.

"You don't love me as much as my real dad!"
Little did he know, his real Father had sent him to earth to die for the sins of mankind.

On a serious note-- I have heard it said that God sent Jesus to Earth to die for our sins, and that Jesus is told this before his crucifixion (maybe I'm imagining this part? an angel comes down and tells him, or he has a vision?). However, he also later says "forgive them Father, they know not what they do," right? So is it understood as Jesus deciding to die for mankind, as he loved us so much, or as God sending us his son to die for us, as he loved us so much, or a combination? It was Jesus' destiny but he chose not to reject it? Forgive me if I have not phrased this in the right way, I am not trying to mock, I am actually curious. I need to read The Bible, it is ridiculous that I have not.
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 15, 2007, 12:24:50 pm
good lord. I had never thought about that issue, the poor guy.

"You don't love me as much as my real dad!"
Little did he know, his real Father had sent him to earth to die for the sins of mankind.

On a serious note-- I have heard it said that God sent Jesus to Earth to die for our sins, and that Jesus is told this before his crucifixion (maybe I'm imagining this part? an angel comes down and tells him, or he has a vision?). However, he also later says "forgive them Father, they know not what they do," right? So is it understood as Jesus deciding to die for mankind, as he loved us so much, or as God sending us his son to die for us, as he loved us so much, or a combination? It was Jesus' destiny but he chose not to reject it? Forgive me if I have not phrased this in the right way, I am not trying to mock, I am actually curious. I need to read The Bible, it is ridiculous that I have not.

A: Christianity includes the idea of the holy trinity so Jesus and his father were really the same entity sharing the same godmind. In catholic school it was phrased as "Jesus was both entirely a human and entirely God".
B: There was a list of pains or something I had to learn at one point that included the pre-knowledge of his own death. It was taught that knowing the date, time, and torturous manner of his own death is a thing we should consider as compounding what he did for us - that not only was he crucified, but he knew thats what he ultimately had coming to him for his whole life prior.

To me, the trinity is one of the trickiest deals to get my mind around, and whenever I asked for a good clarification I was given the default catholic school christology teacher answer: "It is one of the mysteries of faith"
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: pmcd9 on December 15, 2007, 04:33:19 pm
I like the other picture in the set of the sign that says "Joseph of Nazareth - Jesus's Stepfather"

This picture (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2107338359/)
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 15, 2007, 04:40:54 pm
This picture (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmcd9/2107338359/)
I swear to Jough and Jesus that I didnt see that dudes comment before I posted.
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: jough on December 15, 2007, 08:32:57 pm
Oh that's right it's almost Christmas.

Keep it Merry, people.
Title: Re: Merry Christmas
Post by: CortJstr on December 16, 2007, 03:51:52 am
I swear to Jough and Jesus that I didnt see that dudes comment before I posted.

Actually that guy was quoting Family Guy.