The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: jough on October 27, 2003, 07:56:07 am

Title: Layoffs At The Mine (10-27-03)
Post by: jough on October 27, 2003, 07:56:07 am
Not really a funny one today - but nice to see a young Nice Pete placing a rose on his mother's grave.  

I thought the head shrinking 10% each year thing was a little silly.

The alt text just made the strip depressing.

Not quite "Here's a bag of their hands."

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10272003).
Title: Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
Post by: slink on October 27, 2003, 10:41:52 am
The new 'saddest thing'?
I sniggered in a 'awww that's so sad but silly' way mind.
Kind of nice to see Nice Pete's back story though.
Title: Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
Post by: captainimpossibles on October 27, 2003, 11:38:22 am
OH LORD NO, NOT SILLY. GOD HELP US.
Title: Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
Post by: AugustWest on October 27, 2003, 02:04:53 pm
I am in awe of Onstad.  What a great origin for Nice Pete.
Title: Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
Post by: side_show on October 27, 2003, 03:30:37 pm
I just found the strip depressing.  Then again I'm at work on a grey day and we're currently getting that first slushy ugly damp snow.  Sigh.
Title: Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
Post by: V-Adore on October 27, 2003, 04:15:24 pm
I am oddly moved, especially considering this is the most raw volume of backstory for a character we've had since Mr. Bear's background from the party.

I love Young Nice Pete in the next-to-last panel; he's so... gentle-looking. Earnest. What happened?
Title: Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
Post by: V-Adore on October 27, 2003, 06:57:12 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Todays strip playing with the whole desolation of WV hilltop communities amidst the natural splendor theme had the most Achewood melancholy feel of any strip in a while.

It does, indeed, echo back a lot of the earlier, nearly-forgotten themes of despair and melancholy. This is stuff we generally only see in Beef nowadays, and even the saddest of the recent stuff -- the Nacho Eye and Bubble Boy strips, for example -- tends to have a laugh attached, even a harsh laugh.

It's an odd feeling of homecoming to come back to more melancholy material, and now I find it hard to say how I feel about the strip's overall mood shifts. On one hand, I'm not going to give up material like Animalicious and the genuinely funny stuff that happens, but on the other... I missed this despair, I think.

Man, Achewood makes you think. Silly webcomic.
Title: Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
Post by: andalucia on October 27, 2003, 09:26:28 pm
I found the strip a little disconcerting... I was torn between melancholy and silly.
Title: Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
Post by: FeeReep on October 27, 2003, 11:25:52 pm
That second panel creeps me out. Look out, Teador.
Title: Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2003, 12:51:42 am
It struggles in my mine to be funny ha-ha, funny absurd, melancholy touching and some kind of social commentary. It is kind of silly.

I like it but not as much as the bag o'hands.
Title: Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
Post by: wombat on October 28, 2003, 01:40:36 am
I'm just glad it's Nice Pete who's got the tear-inducing background for now, because I don't care about him.  I still tremble in fear that we may someday find out about Philippe's tragic past, as was threatened in one of Onstad's interviews.
Title: man
Post by: FancieBabie on October 28, 2003, 02:02:05 am
i thought this one was really really cool. the 5th panel is just great. and the last panel is hilarious. A+++ would read again
Title: Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2003, 02:51:21 am
Quote from: "wombat"
I'm just glad it's Nice Pete who's got the tear-inducing background for now, because I don't care about him.  I still tremble in fear that we may someday find out about Philippe's tragic past, as was threatened in one of Onstad's interviews.


We never did find out what his "therapy" was for.

As for Teador's wondering, it looks like it's better to know Nice Pete than not to. Unless he was friends with the people who those hands belonged to.
Title: Layoffs At The Mine - 27 October 2003
Post by: starlight on October 28, 2003, 08:50:46 am
I sent mom a link to this strip labeled 'shrinking head!' and she replied that she hoped I wasn't worried about my head shrinking now (I'm a hypochondriac) ..this thought hadn't even crossed my mind, so it made it more humourous than it was before