The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: linnea on December 14, 2007, 10:21:22 pm
-
We mentioned in another thread (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4132.msg109358.html#msg109358) about the '07. How was your 2007 and what do you have planned for '08?
-
2007 was a series of slow economic crumblings that all kinda built up onto each other. Other than financial/job-wise, my year wasn't bad. But money is a filthy whore and has treated me as such.
I'd like to finish my book in 2008 and I'd like to figure out a viable economic situation where I won't have to be living back East with my family in Little Falls in the year 2009. Because if next year goes as bad as this one money-wise... yeah. Yeeeeeeeah.
My goals are fairly simple.
I'd like to make a stable living as a story-maker and I'd like myself and the people I love to be healthy.
That's... all I'm asking for. I've had all the crazy demands of the world burned away.
-
2007 had some really good things (finally confronting a lot of my buried issues and making some actual psychological progress, doing volunteering, being creative for the first time in a while) and some really chunk-blowing things (basically dropping out of graduate school, breaking up with long-time boyfriend, living at home most of the year). My goal is to keep the good things going but combine them with getting a job/guy/place of my own.
-
My goal is to keep the good things going but combine them with getting a job/guy/place of my own.
In LA, right? Right? Please go to LA so I can live vicariously through you.
Nothing too horrible happened to me this year. Yet. (Knock on wood, still a few weeks left.) Except that my health was crappy for the second half with nonlifethreatening but totally debilitating problems. It might be getting better now. Knock on wood.
The good things that happened were sort of mixed. Like I finally got a literary agent, but so far the effect of this is only that I don't have to spend time and effort looking for a literary agent anymore. And I got what is by any measure a fantastic steady freelance writing gig, but I never meant to be a journalist, I wanted to be a fiction writer, so I am perhaps not adequately thankful for this.
Also, not forgetting the earlier part of the year, I finally figured out how far I am NOT willing to go to work as an animal keeper--thank you for the lesson, horrible weekend aquarium job.
Hmm, come to think of it, my wish is the same as LFM's:
I'd like to make a stable living as a story-maker and I'd like myself and the people I love to be healthy.
-
This year has been good to me. I would like to do something productive or fun with my summer instead of bumming around like I did last summer. I would like to be a little better about starting things earlier.
This year was good. I would like next year to continue being good. I am debating whether being General Manager of the radio station I work at would kill me. As of right now, there is not really anyone going for the job, and it might be really cool. I talked to the guy who does it this year, and he said "it's not as much work as you think, you just need to coordinate people." But I don't want to get in over my head. I am going to continue debating whether I want to try to live off-campus next year.
-
2007: Got married. Had to live away from my wife for the first few months of our marriage. Finally got totally moved to Charlotte. Lost my best friend. Bought the house I intend to raise my children in. Found myself swamped by financial issues. Did a decent job setting myself up for success at work. My car decided it's time to start its slow death.
2008: Who knows, man. Couldn't get much better than 07, couldn't get much worse than 07.
-
PS, Golfhaus, we need to find some kind of fun thing to do which is not awkward or creepy. We will hang out, you know?
-
2007: One full year of working for the US Postal Service.
2007: Only full year of working for the US Postal Service. Burned through a lot of my retirement. Finally giving up on living in Hawaii. Planning for a move of some household goods and family. Got rid of a lot of things.
2008: starts off with my family leaving me here and moving back to Ohio. Should end with me back in my desired career, making more money than I do here in a place that costs maybe 60-70% of what it costs here.
Next Thanksgiving in Chicago for the Mickey penis light up Michigan Avenue Parade. Christmas who knows where.
-
I just want to say that I spent a LOT of timing thinking how sad and awful AlohaDawg's situation is, and hoping that it all works out for him quickly, before I thought for even a split second, "Hey, I'll bet he has more time to post on the messageboard after his family moves."
I know, I am still a bad person.
-
2007 has been a pretty hideous year for me. My business has failed and I am in financial ruin.
2008 should be better.
-
2007 has given me a lot of personal insight. I am also saddened at the misfortune that has befallen many of the folks here. Y'all are like a big imaginary family to me. I hope that things get better.
However, 2007 really sucked a lot. To set the tone for the year, I was dumped around New Year's by a boyfriend that I really adored, and then I had to put up with my shiteous boss for another 6 months before I finally said fuck it and walked. I was lured out of Alaska by the promise of a business partnership with my jerk father that he promptly rescinded after I got to Colorado. I'm glad the family business thing never happened, because I wouldn't want my livelihood dependent on such a flake. I was unemployed for over 4 months and got into a crap relationship w/ the SGC that was not in my highest and best interests. Thankfully, I got out of said relationship, and now I have a lovely job and a nice place to live. I get to hang out with my twin sister quite often, and my family and cats are in good health. Right now I'm happy, if a little impatient to get on with the next phase of my life (i.e., doing something cool like moving to Australia, grad school, meeting my "soul mate" - the term is cheezy but I still want one).
In 2008 my major goals are to lose weight and finish up all my psychological housekeeping so that I can prepare myself for a solid, healthy relationship with someone who is incredible, awesome, and loving. I also want to save up for a down payment and look into buying a small condo for myself. I also want to run a 9-minute mile (any runners who read this will laugh at this goal, but it's a good one for me) and to train for a half marathon someday soon. I want to get back into printmaking and maybe even rent some studio space for myself.
-
In 2008 my major goals are to lose weight and finish up all my psychological housekeeping so that I can prepare myself for a solid, healthy relationship with someone who is incredible, awesome, and loving. I also want to save up for a down payment and look into buying a small condo for myself. I also want to run a 9-minute mile (any runners who read this will laugh at this goal, but it's a good one for me) and to train for a half marathon someday soon. I want to get back into printmaking and maybe even rent some studio space for myself. is to eliminate everything which keeps me from being the master.
If you accomplish these things, I will be impressed with how rad your life is. We believe in you!
-
My best friend just graduated this semester so Im looking forward to being knuckleheads from old times. This means I will be expanding my cigar collection and golfing... a lot.
Im constructing a plan for the next nine months that involves improving my financial position with gainful employment, independent studying that I've been restricted from doing for all of the previous years of my academic career, and building muscle mass. The idea being to be in a good place with myself when I return to college. Golf, lots of golf.
-
2007: Moved houses, got knocked up again, wrote master's thesis (which hopefully will be in near-final draft stage by Dec. 31, as I promised my adviser it would be), watched my son go from being almost completely non-verbal on his second birthday to knowing a couple hundred spoken words and beginning to string them together into sentences. Got into a debt management program to try and eliminate the $30,000 in credit card debt we accumulated when Pedro was out of work the first year we were married, followed by three years of unsuccessfully trying to sell a house we could no longer afford. If nothing goes terribly wrong, we should be debt-free in five years, but it's not easy to see a huge chunk of money disappear into the ether every month, gone to pay for things we've already forgotten.
Overall, a good year -- rough in spots, but lots of things are getting over with this year that I'm happy to have behind us.
Goals for 2008: Defend thesis, have a baby -- preferably in that order. Graduate. Send Little P to full-day preschool. Reduce debt. Stick with my yoga class. Knit more. Worry less. Finish unpacking. Empty our storage unit. Simplify, simplify.
-
2007 has been busy. Pretty good, I guess. I've been pretty social, out doing things. Mostly I work. I got into wine. Sleep in the first real bed I've owned in ten years, with my iPhone on the nightstand next to me (it sings me to sleep). Sometimes I wake up next to a pretty girl and wonder "Who is this? How did she get here? How the hell am I going to get rid of the body?"
2008 - hope to achieve a better work/life balance. Save more money. Get back a huge chunk of money that I overpaid in taxes in 2007. Finally buy decent furniture for my apartment. Travel more. Get in better shape. Spend less time on the computer, and more time playing video games.
-
Knit more. Worry less.
If you can figure out how to do this, let me know. That is awesome.
-
2007: First full year as a college graduate. Moved from hometown of Seattle to the Bay Area. Took... a long time to find a job. Much longer than I expected. Damnable choice of an English major. But eventually I found a cool one, so now I'm happy. Moved from aunt and uncle's house to my own apartment in San Francisco. Crazy goddamned city, but it's growing on me.
2008: Stability. Now I can plan for things. For example, I hope to save enough to make a trip to Europe before the year is out. I went right after college and loved it, but there's still a lot more I want to see. Also, new year's resolution: stop biting my fingernails. They're disgusting. Also, finally play something on Xbox Live with Jough.
-
Life isn't fair. Life is good.
These are not mutually exclusive.
Amen to that, brother.
2007 was mostly a year. No huge landmarks this go-round. The kids are great, the job is a job, I leveraged another job offer into a big frickin' raise.
The year has come to a suckful end, however, with Mrs. del Vaca's stepfather keeling over from a heart attack last week. She went to Texas to help out her mom, and I single-parented all week. It was taxing for all of us, to say the least.
Then I thought our cat was missing and presumed dead, but she showed up alive and well last night, so there's that.
-
The end of 2007 is getting really strange.
My mom called me yesterday to tell me that she took my dad to the doctor on Thursday because he was acting strange. Within 24 hours he has brain surgery. She calls 5 days later.
My parents are in their 70's and they refuse to tell us what is happening anymore with them. I don't know if they feel like they are burdening us or what. All I know is it's pretty disconcerting.
Got to get off this freaking island. Soon.
-
The end of 2007 is getting really strange.
My mom called me yesterday to tell me that she took my dad to the doctor on Thursday because he was acting strange. Within 24 hours he has brain surgery. She calls 5 days later.
My parents are in their 70's and they refuse to tell us what is happening anymore with them. I don't know if they feel like they are burdening us or what. All I know is it's pretty disconcerting.
Got to get off this freaking island. Soon.
Oh - that is shitty. I hope all is well.
2007 was the hardest year of my life, hands down. It was serious hard work. It almost killed me. But I made it. At the end of this week I will likely be diagnosed with a very serious, life altering autoimmune disease on top of the (now seemingly minor) three other autoimmune diseases I have. And this will be less traumatic than most of the stuff that happend this year. Oh well, at least when I say I'm a survivor I mean it.
2008 I'm officially starting my own theatre company and at the end of 2008 a play I spent 6 + years writing and working on is getting its world premier at one of the most important theatres in my country. Also, hopefully post diagnosis my health will improve, but first: more testing.
-
Wow. AD and Mel. Hang in there, both of you.
Here's to 2008 being better than 2007!
-
Helloooooo 2008!
Happy New Year, everyone.
2008, I have high hopes for you. Like many on the board, I had a pretty rough year in the '07. I would like this year to be happy and filled with good fortune, please. For all of us.
-
Yes, please 2008, could you be the year of ease and comfort? Is that really asking so much?
-
Farewell, year of problems. (http://www.scarygoround.com/?date=20071231)
-
A-fuckin'-men.
2007, I double-middle-finger-pump you in the rearview mirror... such as Homer did in the sinkhole.
A few scratches and an arrow to pull out later... but here I am in 2008.
-
So far, 2008 has been a year of ups and downs. First, I had a lot of fun bar-hopping on New Years Eve and ended up meeting some very cool people and reveling in hilarious conversations. So that was good. But after retiring for the night, I was greeted by my brand new roommate arriving home at 5 in the morning with the sudden urge to start blasting the radio. He proceeded to do exactly that -- in the living room, at full volume on the shitty techno station. Awesome! When I walked out to ask him to turn it down, he copped a massive attitude and said "Fuck it, I'll listen to it in my room." Now, I don't know if you're too familiar with San Francisco apartment buildings built in the early 20th century, but adding another wall to that cacophony of noise is doesn't do a whole lot to dampen the sound. So, I got to listen to him falling asleep to obnoxious club grooves as the sun came up. Yeah...
I need to find a new place to live.
-
they have techno radio stations?
mann. It's really interesting to me how my Provincialism, which I always thought was eliminated by watching movies and reading the news and internet and such, rears its head about such weird things. Techno radio stations, girls wearing leggings as #####, 24-hour diners, people having heard of bands I like...