The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: chuanoplast on December 15, 2007, 01:00:05 pm

Title: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: chuanoplast on December 15, 2007, 01:00:05 pm
That's right folks. What with all the recent hoogeldy-groogle about this newfangled "Rocking and Rolling", and me being a steadfast old curmudgeon in the ways of yore, it is time for some opera.

Here. Have this. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRe16N_UziY&eurl=http://chuanoplast.blogspot.com/) Who needs rock-roll when opera will also provide you with animal print furniture and clothing, on moving platforms nonetheless?

Everybody likes partying. Including monks. This is why this section (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bly7HO9SbV4) of Carmina Burana (not actually opera, but it's choral) is so awesome. Do rock and rollers sing about roasted swans? I don't know. But monks do!

Last, here is something delightful. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDhHxIz83Ic&eurl=)

In other words, opera is awesome and 5 A.M. is a perfectly reasonable time to be listening to it. Do you guys like opera? If so, what operas and/or choral works do you enjoy? If not, I understand. Even though opera is rad, it is also very very frightening and sometimes disturbing.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: theinevitable on December 15, 2007, 01:11:53 pm
I know nothing about Opera. All I know is that this thread gave me the idea to listen to some Palestrina, which is always a great thing. This guy, what with his polyphony and all... quite a character, you know? I cannot say anything beyond that they are very pretty and soothing, though.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: wombat on December 15, 2007, 01:37:25 pm
I don't understand what's so great about Palestrina. He always seemed like computer-generated Renaissance polyphony to me. I could practically fall asleep singing the alto parts of Palestrina.

I am not an opera fan, but that post is a very good sales message for it. Perhaps I should reconsider.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: theinevitable on December 15, 2007, 01:50:26 pm
I mean... he seems like polyphony "by-the-numbers" because he basically wrote the numbers, is my understanding. I do not pretend to know anything about this, though. I mean, if his stuff sounded really weird and idiosyncratic, wouldn't that be because the things he did had died out in music since then? The wikipedia article does comment that he made very strict rules for himself and stuck to them in a way few composers do.

I want to say that unshared Uniquely Derived Traits would make him a Bad Ancestor in our reconstruction of evolution. This means that this break is starting not a moment too soon for me.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: chuanoplast on December 15, 2007, 03:07:01 pm

I am not an opera fan, but that post is a very good sales message for it. Perhaps I should reconsider.

Yes! Please do! There are a variety of operas, and if you don't like watching them, you can always listen to separate arias. Or just find random opera snippets on Youtube and see what you like.

And Inev, if you like Palestrina, you should listen to Bach's choral works. Wombat may not fall asleep singing those alto parts.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: wombat on December 15, 2007, 04:11:48 pm
The wikipedia article does comment that he made very strict rules for himself and stuck to them in a way few composers do.

Interesting observation, because that does sound like a perfect recipe for Boring.

I'm sure it's possible that some music is more rewarding to listen to than it is to perform, especially if you're on the inner parts. Later choral music than Bach never seemed worth singing to me, but that hardly means it isn't worth listening to.  Palestrina is just odd because he seemed to me to be the only Renaissance composer who falls into that category. Way ahead of his time, I guess.

I had a Traumatic Youth as far as opera. My uncle who lived downstairs was a fan of the most bombastic and tacky sort of Italian opera recordings and thought this made him quite culturally superior.  So I started out with a very bad impression of the genre.



Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 15, 2007, 05:18:00 pm
Personally, my favorite part of Opera is the penis gestures and integrated bittorrent client, but Im still a firefox man.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: linnea on December 15, 2007, 07:40:27 pm
Heh, that was amusing, A-CAP.

Great clips, chuano! I love them. One of the things I want to do is take a music appreciation class that specifically addresses opera. I love the music and the drama, and someday I will have season tickets to the opera. It is something that I have always admired but never gotten to see live.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: chuanoplast on December 15, 2007, 10:27:29 pm
Wombat, you should try listening to some Mozart operas. Although there are some crazy flashy bits, on the whole they are more structured and just nice to listen to. I recommend The Magic Flute as a starting point.



Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 15, 2007, 10:34:12 pm
I'm just gonna fully admit here that I have no knowledge of the classics in any form or genre and just... move along here. I had to go to a few operas for college classes and instantly forgot them.

Pretty much the only opera or classical music I've ever heard outside of film scores was snippets on Shekele (sp?) Mix on NPR.

I am sadly pretty much your average pseudo-intellectual with an intellectual pond as broad and long as it is shallow. I'll move along now.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: wombat on December 15, 2007, 11:20:43 pm

Pretty much the only opera or classical music I've ever heard outside of film scores was snippets on Shekele (sp?) Mix on NPR.


Schickele.  I just butt in with this correction because he is one of my few brushes with greatness. He lived across the street from a high school friend and I have a funny thing he wrote and signed for me.

Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 16, 2007, 12:33:33 am
I'm just gonna fully admit here that I have no knowledge of the classics in any form or genre and just... move along here. I had to go to a few operas for college classes and instantly forgot them.

Pretty much the only opera or classical music I've ever heard outside of film scores was snippets on Shekele (sp?) Mix on NPR.

I am sadly pretty much your average pseudo-intellectual with an intellectual pond as broad and long as it is shallow. I'll move along now.

Instead I went to like 3 John Cage performance piano concerts and listen to the classic station if I am driving and don't have ipod or whatever.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: theinevitable on December 16, 2007, 03:44:16 am
John Cage. What a guy.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 16, 2007, 03:46:10 am
Well, he's no LUKE Cage, but we can't all be heroes for hire.

(...or can we?)
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 16, 2007, 03:59:53 am
Schickele.  I just butt in with this correction because he is one of my few brushes with greatness. He lived across the street from a high school friend and I have a funny thing he wrote and signed for me.




Please scan and show us the funny thing from Professor Peter Schickele (http://www.schickele.com/). That would be 10 kinds of awesome.


Also for favorites: I've loved Carmina Burana for sometime, but I'll always be attached to the 1812 Overture as performed in it's full glory: Full on Russian-style choir (I think they double the number of Basses), Orchestra, Carillon, and Churchbells. If you ever get the chance to hear it with everything, well, Holy Crap it can make you feel small.

Also, I really like Vangelis' Chariots of Fire and Heaven and Hell.

You know what I could never figure out? Why people can enjoy Atonal music. It's just noise to me. If I knew 'how' to appreciate it, maybe I could at least listen to it without wanting to pluck my eyes out and stuff them into my ears.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: wombat on December 16, 2007, 04:12:52 am
Oh dear. There is a problem, in that the item in question is not where I thought it had been living all these years. I will investigate further tomorrow but I have a bad feeling about this.

What it was, was a letter about my request to apply to his fictional university - was it the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople?  Or Northern South Dakota?
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 16, 2007, 04:41:14 am
Oh dear. There is a problem, in that the item in question is not where I thought it had been living all these years. I will investigate further tomorrow but I have a bad feeling about this.

What it was, was a letter about my request to apply to his fictional university - was it the University of Southern North Dakota at Hoople?  Or Northern South Dakota?

Hoople was mentioned a lot as he continued his research into the life and works of PDQ Bach. Maybe that was it.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: AugustWest on December 16, 2007, 05:32:47 am

Please scan and show us the funny thing from Professor Peter Schickele (http://www.schickele.com/). That would be 10 kinds of awesome.


Seconded.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: wombat on December 16, 2007, 03:14:07 pm
There were a few tense moments searching through the file drawers there... but here it is.

http://www.rebsig.com/LL/hoople.pdf (http://www.rebsig.com/LL/hoople.pdf)
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: AugustWest on December 16, 2007, 03:35:38 pm
That is classic.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: linnea on December 16, 2007, 04:11:16 pm
Heh! That is the weirdest thing I've ever seen.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 17, 2007, 04:14:41 am
It stops loading for me. :-(
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: chuanoplast on December 17, 2007, 07:29:23 am
This is the best thing ever. My favorite part is the check-boxes.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: wombat on December 17, 2007, 01:28:47 pm
It stops loading for me. :-(

Nooo!  I could email it to you. Can you usually open a pdf under other circumstances?
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: jaydub on December 17, 2007, 03:51:32 pm
The crest intrigues me.  Chi-rho overlaid with a reference to a bible passage praying for the unity of all believers.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 18, 2007, 07:32:41 pm
Speaking of opera, has everyone seen the Paul Potts video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLF9iEXnBRo

I love how the one judge at the 24-second mark is like "Oh shit, here we go," and Simon settles in like "Let's get this over with" 20 seconds later.  And then he fuckin' FLOORS them.

I've read that some in the opera business are all "He's not really that good," which may be technically true.  But he's probably done more to get people interested in opera than anyone else in years, so fuck off, killjoys.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: linnea on December 19, 2007, 02:23:05 am
Speaking of opera, has everyone seen the Paul Potts video?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLF9iEXnBRo

I love how the one judge at the 24-second mark is like "Oh shit, here we go," and Simon settles in like "Let's get this over with" 20 seconds later.  And then he fuckin' FLOORS them.

I've read that some in the opera business are all "He's not really that good," which may be technically true.  But he's probably done more to get people interested in opera than anyone else in years, so fuck off, killjoys.

I LOVE him, even though there was some dissension as to whether he was really "undiscovered" when he went on the Idol show and blew all the judges away. Even Simon le Cowell was impressed, and the lady judge was moved to tears.
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: Golfhaus on December 19, 2007, 03:24:27 am
Yes, but did he bungle up a national anthem (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7109058.stm) so badly that the other country now loves him for it?
Title: Re: It's ALWAYS Time for Opera
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 19, 2007, 02:47:39 pm
Yes, but did he bungle up a national anthem (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7109058.stm) so badly that the other country now loves him for it?

Yeah, that's some good shit right there.  Interesting that "love" and "c*ck" are so close together in their language, and if that's the case you know that every man in the country sang the anthem that way when they were 10 years old.  So they were psyched to finally have someone do it out in the open.