The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: jaydub on December 17, 2007, 09:24:47 pm

Title: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: jaydub on December 17, 2007, 09:24:47 pm
Did we talk about this (http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-oldmike26apr26,0,588768,full.story?coll=la-home-headlines)?  I guess the story got buried by Mike Vick's off-season recreation.  Is Christine Daniels having success these days?
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 17, 2007, 10:15:03 pm
Yeah, the two big sportstalk radio stations talked about it for one day, interviewed her the next and then... it wasn't much of a story after that. Pretty respectful stuff and I've heard her once or twice interviewed on those stations for reasons having nothing to do with sex or gender issues but... I dunno.

Los Angeles is a pretty socially liberal town, of course, and the fact that she had mostly covered soccer and a little baseball as a man instead of being a football locker-room reporter probably helped.

Only thing that struck me as odd was...

Why would you take a new last name with a sex-change? I don't know that many transgendered folk and I don't know any very well...

But wouldn't you keep your old last name? I mean, you're still your parents' child, either set of bits, yeah?
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: linnea on December 18, 2007, 04:50:19 am
Yeah, the two big sportstalk radio stations talked about it for one day, interviewed her the next and then... it wasn't much of a story after that. Pretty respectful stuff and I've heard her once or twice interviewed on those stations for reasons having nothing to do with sex or gender issues but... I dunno.

Los Angeles is a pretty socially liberal town, of course, and the fact that she had mostly covered soccer and a little baseball as a man instead of being a football locker-room reporter probably helped.

Only thing that struck me as odd was...

Why would you take a new last name with a sex-change? I don't know that many transgendered folk and I don't know any very well...

But wouldn't you keep your old last name? I mean, you're still your parents' child, either set of bits, yeah?

A lot of people who have gender reassignment surgery end up getting whole new names for their new lives. Some people keep their same last name. It depends on the individual.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: wombat on December 18, 2007, 01:42:26 pm
But wouldn't you keep your old last name? I mean, you're still your parents' child, either set of bits, yeah?

Well, not everyone is that enthusiastic about their parents, you know?

I can definitely see changing your whole name in this situation. Why not start fresh?  It's hell on people who are Googling you trying to find friends from their childhood, but hey, it's no worse than women who change their last name when they get married, and a sex change is a bigger change than getting married.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 19, 2007, 07:51:19 am
Maybe her parents were not supportive and the name was not something that meant anything to her.

Maybe she wants a whole new life.

I'm glad I'll never go through this.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 20, 2007, 04:09:16 am
That's... yeah, that's the most logical explanation, I s'pose.

I dunno all that much about that subculture, I wasn't sure if it was A Thing.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: iron_felix on December 20, 2007, 07:01:00 am
It's a fair enough explanation for changing one's last name, but... why pick something as boring as Daniels?  I guess maybe she didn't want something that would draw any more attention to her than necessary, or something like that, but there are plenty of more surnames that are more interesting than that without being unduly bizarre.  Maybe Daniels has some personal meaning to her.  If it doesn't, though, I'd say she missed a huge opportunity with that one.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 20, 2007, 07:40:27 am
Not to mention that its a modified first-name-second-name.

There's something I don't get about having the two-first-name thing going on or... at least... going for it on purpose. If you're born with it, that's cool and everything but... c'mon... nothing says "character in a WB dramadey" than the ol' two-first-names trick.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: theinevitable on December 20, 2007, 07:43:05 am
We had a record at my radio station by a guy called "Christian Storm."
I thought that was a pretty good one.

My friend's last name is Boom, I've always liked that, too.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 20, 2007, 07:55:06 am
Quote from: theinevitable
We had a record at my radio station by a guy called "Christian Storm."

Yikes. With a name like that, you'd better either be a pro-wrestler or a soap opera star.

Otherwise, you're kinda screwed.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: melack on December 20, 2007, 07:57:19 am
If I was going to change my name, I'd go all out and choose something like Zeus De La Fontaine. But then again, I'm not having a pu$$y grafted onto my balls.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: theinevitable on December 20, 2007, 08:10:22 am
Quote
If I was going to change my name, I'd go all out and choose something like Zeus De La Fontaine. But then again, I'm not having a pu$$y grafted onto my balls.

This...

this made me laugh so hard that I started shaking for a second.

I had two windows open, and in one of them I was about to post a weird tangent about a girl that I like, and... I laughed so hard at this, the thing you said, that I decided not to post that other thing.
Because it... it made me re-think what I'm doing with my posts. The possibilities. The several thousand times since I registered here that I have Failed to Excel. You, sir, have excelled today.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: iron_felix on December 20, 2007, 08:36:52 am
I have a friend whose last name is Laser, and another friend whose boyfriend's last name is Dragon (although I'm not sure if it's actually spelled that way or not).  Of course, for all the best names the awesomeness kind of goes away if you just chose the name yourself.  You have to be born with them; otherwise it doesn't count.

At this point, I wrote something to the effect that real names are cool if they sound like they ought to be fake, while fake names are cool if they sound believable but still have a certain degree of weirdness, but it sounded too pompous so I deleted it.  I still think it's a valid point, though, even if I can't seem to articulate it well enough.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: AugustWest on December 20, 2007, 02:13:44 pm
Yikes. With a name like that, you'd better either be a pro-wrestler or a soap opera star.

Otherwise, you're kinda screwed.

Or a televangelist.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: melack on December 20, 2007, 05:06:58 pm
This...

this made me laugh so hard that I started shaking for a second.

I had two windows open, and in one of them I was about to post a weird tangent about a girl that I like, and... I laughed so hard at this, the thing you said, that I decided not to post that other thing.
Because it... it made me re-think what I'm doing with my posts. The possibilities. The several thousand times since I registered here that I have Failed to Excel. You, sir, have excelled today.

If any of that laughter came from the "pu$$y" part, I'm afraid I can't take credit for that. The censor doesn't like the V-word, I guess!
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: theinevitable on December 20, 2007, 07:51:57 pm
oh. yeah. that was part of it.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 25, 2007, 07:59:45 pm
Man, there are some fucked-up comments in the readers' section of that.

Also, as a person who changed his name completely, I can assure you that she made a very careful, considered decision about hers. Daniels must mean something very important to her.

She should have gone with "Sixteen", though.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: linnea on December 25, 2007, 11:09:52 pm
Man, there are some fucked-up comments in the readers' section of that.

Also, as a person who changed his name completely, I can assure you that she made a very careful, considered decision about hers. Daniels must mean something very important to her.

She should have gone with "Sixteen", though.

I think that newspaper comments are the scourge of humanity. The worst comes out in people in an anonymous forum. There are only so many times I can read racist "go home mexicans" comments in the local Denver papers online before I just say, "FUCK YOU, IGNORANT ASSHOLES" and go read the BBC instead. I shudder to think what vitriol would be spewed by drunk fratboys about an M2F sportscaster. Not good things, I can already tell.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: Doc on December 26, 2007, 12:46:36 am
Also, as a person who changed his her(?) name completely
Enquiring minds want to know.

She should have gone with "Sixteen", though.
SEVEN!
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: Nabubrush on December 26, 2007, 01:59:34 am
Enquiring minds want to know.

I knew that wasn't going to work, because it wasn't proper English. I should have said something like:

"Speaking as a person who changed his whole name a while back, I can assure you that she . . . "


Unless, of course, you're asking if I changed my gender . . . in which case I'd answer 'only in my head, but I do it all the time - spices things up'.
Title: Re: A M2F sportswriter?
Post by: Doc on December 27, 2007, 10:32:29 pm
Yeah that was the implication, a bit clumsily done, sorry.