The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Fritz. on December 19, 2007, 12:45:23 pm

Title: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: Fritz. on December 19, 2007, 12:45:23 pm
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12192007

Kind of touching, really.

Also: how does a stuffed bear get a tattoo? It seems to me it would need only to be silkscreened, not sewn.

[ Fritz. ]
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: wombat on December 19, 2007, 12:49:39 pm
Oh. This is not funny. This is awful. Poor Bear.
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: Doc on December 19, 2007, 01:04:59 pm
Oh my, we've never seen Cornelius so vulnerable... I thought nothing terrible could happen to him, that he would always just be there y'know.
I'm sorry... I need a moment.
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: CortJstr on December 19, 2007, 02:06:34 pm
Teodor is way too happy about this. I can only hope it is a joke.
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: side_show on December 19, 2007, 02:16:15 pm
Weird seeing Cornealius' spine... he's not a stuffed animal at all in this strip, is he.

Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 19, 2007, 02:56:15 pm
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12192007

This is just sad.
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: Roger on December 19, 2007, 03:01:24 pm
I was actually hoping that the title of this thread would be RATZ ZRAW. There, I said it.
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: AugustWest on December 19, 2007, 03:42:33 pm
This is a fabulous strip.  I laughed, I cried...
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 19, 2007, 04:14:47 pm
The sad thing is, I know a lot of people who whom that would be the proudest moment of their lives. Waking up and realizing that they finally had the balls to get that Star Wars tattoo and mentally high-fiving their drunk self for days afterwards.

Enjoying the Star Wars films is fine, of course, I quite like some of them.

But... yeah, my reaction would be the same as The Bear's.
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: colmore on December 19, 2007, 05:08:29 pm
Oh good lord I have twice in my life nearly woken up with a tattoo.  Certain people - vagrants mostly - think it's totally fine and hilarious to give someone a stick-and-poke tattoo to a totally passed out person.  These tattoos are usually poorly written things like "cops suck," incorrectly drawn Black Flag or Crass logos or some retarded and misspelled inside joke.

Thankfully very good friends who weren't as sadly far gone as myself stopped the precedings.

Also: SoCo and lemonade, is that good?
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: melack on December 19, 2007, 05:21:34 pm
The sad thing is, I know a lot of people who whom that would be the proudest moment of their lives. Waking up and realizing that they finally had the balls to get that Star Wars tattoo and mentally high-fiving their drunk self for days afterwards.

Enjoying the Star Wars films is fine, of course, I quite like some of them.

But... yeah, my reaction would be the same as The Bear's.

What's the exact opposite of mentally high-fiving your drunken self? Because that's what I was doing the morning after my company's Holiday Party last week.
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: LCB on December 19, 2007, 05:47:25 pm
I do happen to know someone who willingly had the Star Wars logo tattooed on their back.
Very willingly. But then he does collect replica swords and owns a Boba Fett bust, or helmet, or whatever in a display case.
 
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: CortJstr on December 19, 2007, 06:15:13 pm
I do happen to know someone who willingly had the Star Wars logo tattooed on their back.
Very willingly. But then he does collect replica swords and owns a Boba Fett bust, or helmet, or whatever in a display case.
 

Does he have any other geeky tattoos? Does he want to be in Wired (http://slumbering.lunggiraffe.com/?p=516)?
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: linnea on December 20, 2007, 02:10:29 am
Damn, I didn't think that such an Unfortunate Event would move a badly-hungover Connie to weeping like a small child whose dog just died.

I hope it's just a temporary for his sake.
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: theinevitable on December 20, 2007, 02:14:25 am
Man, what if I did that. What if I woke up with a tattoo. I would probably get something pretty meaningless.

...or the K Records symbol. That is my fantasy tattoo, even though I do not listen to K Records bands that much. I just like the symbol. Also, an artist I admire had that tattoo, and I like that.
I will probably not get a tattoo though.

All I can think is, aren't they all scabbed over and shit the day after? Am I wrong about this?
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: Golfhaus on December 20, 2007, 02:39:29 am
I am against this strip on so many levels. With the accumulated tragedies that Mr. Bear has endured - the death of his wife decades ago, a stint in prison - this should end up being a pretty minor setback. Also, the idea that Connie could be taken to this level of drunken excess by the younguns' - meh.

I'm all bummed out now. Three people I never want to see cry - my dad, the quarterback of the Redskins, and Mr. Bear.
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: Doc on December 20, 2007, 02:49:25 am
No way Golf, see through all that Cornelius still had his dignity but now it is gone and nothing can bring it back.
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: jaydub on December 20, 2007, 03:54:17 am
All I can think is, aren't they all scabbed over and shit the day after? Am I wrong about this?
No, not really.  Plus you keep them bandaged and moisturized with antibacterial cream for a few days.
Title: Re: December 19, 2007. Thank god for small favors.
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 20, 2007, 07:52:19 am
Yeah, like... Terrible Things happen to everyone, basically.

Loss and failure, these are things that will just have to get you if you hang around the Earth long enough... C-Bear understands this and has rolled with many many punches.

But it is completely the opposite of Corny to be really into Star Wars. He probably liked Star Wars, mildly, when it was in the theatres but... he would've enjoyed it as a Saturday matinee diversion and nothing more.

It is not the opposite of everything he believes in to come face to face with grief and suffering.

But to suggest that he has made a science-fiction crowdpleaser film a cornerstone of his life...

That's an indignity he never counted on. And therein lies the difference.