The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on December 21, 2007, 01:20:35 pm

Title: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: wombat on December 21, 2007, 01:20:35 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12212007 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12212007)

I know, you wanted "tits like two slices of baloney."  But this thread title is more relevant to the real point of the strip, see.

Ray is a good person. He will always come up with a way to help a friend save face. I'm touched.
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: guns and cigarettes on December 21, 2007, 01:47:18 pm
Also, please note that the "S" at the end of "wars" has already been washed away by Connie's tears.

Temporary tatoo. This makes this better.
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: MagFlare on December 21, 2007, 01:54:46 pm
So what's the unifying tattoo theme here?

Ray's tat demonstrates that it's not a "sci-fi film" theme. Connie's demonstrates that it's not a "personal hero" theme. And Teodor's no help, 'cos his tat is concealed from view.

Basically: what the hell kind of walk is this?
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: Doc on December 21, 2007, 02:02:58 pm
Clearly they are labelled with concepts that appeal to the boys they are walking for.
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: Turbo Ninja on December 21, 2007, 02:13:24 pm
The distinguished bear's tattoo was not permanent.

It truly is a Christmas Miracle!
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: side_show on December 21, 2007, 02:16:11 pm
I thought the tats were somehow emblematic of their inner truths.  But who knows.  When we see Teodor's it will all become clear I bet.
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: doomglobe on December 21, 2007, 02:46:53 pm
Oh thank heaven. Respect for our elders is one of the few things that holds our society together at the seams.
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 21, 2007, 03:02:04 pm
Im as big a James Gandolfini fan as anyone else, but I do not foresee a circumstance where i would even temporarily stain myself with his name.
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: chuanoplast on December 21, 2007, 04:00:25 pm
 
Also, please note that the "S" at the end of "wars" has already been washed away by Connie's tears.

Temporary tatoo. This makes this better.

Realizing that the "Star Wars" was temporary was such a relief, because I originally thought Cornelius was so upset he had ripped open his own chest and the runny ink was blood.
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: theinevitable on December 21, 2007, 05:20:18 pm
yeah, at first I definitely thought that he was tearing off his own skin.

This still doesn't feel right to me.
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 21, 2007, 05:21:48 pm
yeah, at first I definitely thought that he was tearing off his own skin.

This still doesn't feel right to me.
Yea i thought that was a little intense.
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: linnea on December 21, 2007, 06:32:48 pm

Realizing that the "Star Wars" was temporary was such a relief, because I originally thought Cornelius was so upset he had ripped open his own chest and the runny ink was blood.


That was exactly what I thought. Horrifying. But thank God everything is okay! Heh. I rather like this strip. Onstad really had us goin'.
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: elfbabe on December 24, 2007, 06:50:07 am
Another vote (or two, my boyfriend read the strip with me) for thinking that the running ink was blood. Wouldn't have been too surprising if it had been, honestly. Dude's from War Times.
Title: Re: Puts on a tie and dismisses the assailable emotions 12/21/07
Post by: colmore on December 24, 2007, 05:38:16 pm
Took me two readthroughs to see he wasn't bleeding from the nipples... and I probably wouldn't have reached that conclusion without the gang of dudes outside his door.  They couldn't have all gotten drunk dare tattoos, no parlor has that kind of night staff*

Honestly, I'm a little dissapointed.  Great arc and all, but I was interested to see how he dealt with a continuity affecting thing like a bad tattoo.  In this universe, it's probably a bit harder to get rid of than death.

* there is a tattoo parlor in my town that's right next to a bunch of bars and one of the bigger rock and roll clubs.  It used to stay open until two on nights with concerts.  It's a good thing they changed that and the words "Dismemberment Plan" or "Hot Snakes" aren't somewhere on my body.