The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: wombat on December 25, 2007, 01:13:17 pm

Title: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: wombat on December 25, 2007, 01:13:17 pm
A day late - I thought it was the 25th.... Hope all your wishes come true.

 
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: Doc on December 25, 2007, 01:18:43 pm
Damn, how did we miss this one?

Have a good one man, my present to you is a daydream that you are not in hawaii.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: AugustWest on December 25, 2007, 04:43:42 pm
Happy Birthday and God Bless.  Hope to see you on the mainland in '08.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: linnea on December 25, 2007, 05:02:48 pm
Happy birthday dude! I hope that you get the high-paying job of your dreams on the mainland with a minuscule commute.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 25, 2007, 06:13:32 pm
Merry birthmas!
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: theinevitable on December 25, 2007, 06:44:09 pm
happy birthday! I hope it was wonderful.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: Nabubrush on December 25, 2007, 07:17:38 pm
Dude! I'm right on time! Have the happiest of birthdays - may your heart sing with the joys of . . . ahh, sorry. Can't sustain the inventiveness. Anyway, good on you for being born today (or tomorrow, or whatever).
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: iron_felix on December 26, 2007, 04:59:50 am
Thought I was a day late posting to an already-day-late thread, but I just had the wrong time zone set on my profile.

Never mind that.  Happy everything, man!  Hope things work out well for you in the coming year.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: V-Adore on December 26, 2007, 07:44:01 am
Many happy returns, man, and may '08 be better than '07.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 26, 2007, 12:24:51 pm
Enjoy your birthday, if you'd like.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 26, 2007, 02:41:06 pm
Happy birthday Dawg.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: pmcd9 on December 26, 2007, 05:20:25 pm
Happy birthday A-man.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: side_show on December 26, 2007, 09:05:19 pm
Happy B-day!  I was out of town in a place where internet doesn't go, but I wish you well, and hope your birthday wish to come back to the mainland comes true really soon!
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: AlohaDawg on December 27, 2007, 05:49:01 am
Thanks, Y'all!

I got a cake at work. That was really unexpected. I worked Sunday, the 23, the 24th, the 25th, and today. In fact, I will probably work 13 days straight, between 10 and 12 hours per day.

Unlike mainland Post Offices, Hawaii post offices still get tons of parcels to deliver. On Sunday, I had 13 carriers working 8 hours and they delivered 1,031 across 40 routes in our zone.

On Christmas Day, I had 5 carriers deliver 130 Express Mailpieces across about 35 routes.

Thanks for the well-wishes. The family flies back to the mainland on the 8th of January. The household goods are dwindling. The job hunt remains the same - nothing breaking yet. I'll be moving into a room in a friends house. That shouldn't be awkward at all.

Oh, and my Dad's brain cancer which we just learned about in the last 10 days will probably have him cashing out 6 to 24 months from now - it's very weird and hard to be this far away, even though we had a lot of go-rounds growing up and my oldest sister has a somewhat pathological relationship with him for reasons only she truly knows. Personally, I think walking away for 8 years and then coming back when he just got out of brain surgery and can't talk and letting him have it, and giving ultimatums is a supremely cowardly move. I am really not understanding everything going on over there. I asked her if she felt better and I tried to convey to her that she can be sure of controlling and affecting one thing - herself and how she approaches relationships, her feelings about the history between her and dad, and what she is going to do. I let go of all the resentment and pain I felt a long time ago. At least for my brother and I, it was mainly some fairly wicked beatings which were generally in my case his asserting absolute physical domination...submission holds and then hitting. Sometimes your head against the wall. Sometimes wrapping you up and dropping your or throwing you. This is what I remember...I don't know what or if he did the same thing to the girls or not.    She talked about a lot of things over the phone with me and it was really hard for me to keep my patience and try to see her side. I guess I don't see the value in trying to change thirty years ago behaviors of a 70 year old man who lay dying. I think she's selgiraffe for doing that and I think she's selgiraffe for adding to his pain. I let mine go a long time ago. I try to have a normal relationship with my dad, hard with 3000 miles and some of the history between us...but why would I dwell on the bad things that happened? I have some good memories too. I have to believe my sister does too...why does she choose to dwell only on the bad stuff, whatever that is? Why do I feel it's important to my faith walk as a Christian to love my dad for being my dad, and to hate the bad stuff, but not him? And not myself?

Am I just stronger? Did she experience more? I have a lot of questions I won't ask because I don't want to know the answers.

So, to summarize, an odd/interesting/kind of emotional 40th birthday.




Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: AugustWest on December 27, 2007, 06:35:33 am
Dude.

My love and best wishes to you.  No matter what shit you have to go through, You..Are..Rad..

Shitty times must end.  Things will get better.

  At least that's what I keep telling myself.
Title: Re: Happy Birthday AlohaDawg
Post by: linnea on December 27, 2007, 01:00:05 pm
Dude.

My love and best wishes to you.  No matter what shit you have to go through, You..Are..Rad..

Shitty times must end.  Things will get better.

  At least that's what I keep telling myself.

Yeah, hang in there.

I have no idea what kind of shit your sister went through. That's rough. It is good that you've been able to be the bigger man and just forgive and move on with your life. But really, while it may be cowardly for her to inflict that kind of emotional abuse, I also think it's damn cowardly for a man to beat defenseless children who depend on him for love, food, and shelter. It sounds like you had a hella emotional day. I hope that things get better.