The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: revdj on December 28, 2007, 05:23:15 pm

Title: Book Lag
Post by: revdj on December 28, 2007, 05:23:15 pm
Have other people noticed an increasing lag in the books?  It seems like it used to be that whenever he had enough strips on the site for another book, Chris would come out with one.  The books now, however, run to late 2006, and in a few days it will be early 2008. 

Why do you think that is?  Is it that he thinks (maybe rightfully) that people aren't going to pay for a book of recent strips?
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: pmcd9 on December 28, 2007, 08:29:37 pm
It's been speculated elsewhere that he is negotiating a publishing deal.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: wombat on December 28, 2007, 09:32:37 pm
Yeah, but where is it? Is the search function not working? I am positive there's a part of a thread where I say that it's plausible that he's trying to sell a book because I found his name on the list of clients of an agent in Brooklyn, and later explained that I wasn't stalking him, I was searching for literary agents. Didn't I even say that I had an agent in Brooklyn too, a different one, because that's where all the cool kids are? I swear I did NOT dream this, but searches on 'agent' and 'brooklyn' and even 'stalking' come up with nothing relevant.

Where's Cort when I'm losing my mind???
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: side_show on December 29, 2007, 03:49:53 am
I just spent an hour looking for that thread.  It did exist.  I remember posting to it about how an agent works for you, and getting references... none of the key words bring anything up.  Huh.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 29, 2007, 07:35:52 am
I also remember that very clearly, especially the cool kids part.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: HudsonVC on December 29, 2007, 08:00:55 am
It's been speculated elsewhere that he is negotiating a publishing deal.

My take, repro-ed from deep in this thread (http://touamb.com/index.php/topic,4067.msg107490.html#msg107490) (hope that's okay):

According to The Onion AV Club's interview (http://www.avclub.com/content/interview/chris_onstad) with Onstad:

Quote
ONSTAD: I am actually working on a book... I've got all this content I'm talking about with kind of a major publisher. You know the "Great Outdoor Fight" story arc? I'm putting together… not quite a graphic novel, but I'm laying it all out as a linear story and adding new content and a ton of writing and background on what The Great Outdoor Fight is, and I'm hoping to publish that as some sort of perfect-bound, color-cover, proper edition. I'm just finishing the writing up for that. I think that will go over really well. Critically, I think, that was our finest hour. It really had a good response from people, which surprised me, because it was the first time I've really asked the audience to have patience, because they weren't one-offs every day or gag strips every day. It was a three-month narrative that really paid off, and I was really pleased, because I was afraid to do it at first.

And in this interview (http://www.orato.com/node/2332?page=7), he ups the ante by adding that there's a Hollywood deal in the offing, as well:

Quote
I would certainly like to see myself branching out into other media with this particular project and also with other projects. Today I was working on a screenplay. You know, where Ray and Roast Beef went down and fought in the Great Outdoor Fight. We've got a couple studios interested in the script, so we're trying to finish that up and get it sold.

Putting it all together, the holdup seems pretty obvious:

"The Great Outdoor Fight" -- hell, that whole year of the strip -- was such a huge hit that Onstad got some Hollywood and publishing attention. From the sound of things, he probably got a major publishing deal to re-release the entire comic series in some sort of deluxe edition you'll be able to buy at chain bookstores.

I'm guessing the first release would be the "Great Outdoor Fight" arc, which would then be tied to the Hollywood deal, as comics-to-movie adaptations are still v. hott. If true, all of this will probably be announced in the next six months or so.

However, it's probably taking forever for Onstad to set it all up -- with his lawyer working to make sure he retains copyright and all that crap. And that's why all the micro-content (like the 'zines and the blog book and the freaking "baby updates" book) has been released. It's an attempt to fill the monetary void while something really big and nationally multi-platformed gets set up. (I'd also guess that's why he hasn't attempted any "Great Outdoor Fight"-scale story arcs in a while.)

If true, I'll bet the delay is driving him nuts. And I wonder if the WGA strike isn't delaying his plans somehow.

If there's some data about a New York agent floating around out there, would that support the theory?
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2007, 02:28:57 pm
Thank you Smells and Keith for confirming that I am not crazy, or that if I am, at least I am not alone.

I started just paging through thread titles to see if I could figure out where it had been, but then I realized that ANY thread could have wandered onto the topic, so it's pretty hopeless.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2007, 02:43:03 pm
I thought I'd feel better about searching and not being crazy if I could locate Onstad's agent again, which I remembered I couldn't do at the time of that thread, but I hadn't tried searching very hard.

Well, I couldn't for sure this time either but I am 99.9% sure why, which is that I found the page of the agency that I am pretty sure is the one, and they've basically gone out of business. It says they are 'no longer active' and 'though we will continue to work on behalf of our current clients, we will no longer represent new work.'

That's their whole web page now - no client list or anything. I have to wonder how hard he, she or they can really be working for anything. Which may have something to do with the book lag - either they're not doing much, or Onstad is pounding the pavement looking for an agent again, or for a publisher on his own.

Eek. I definitely do NOT feel better. It never occurred to me that after several years of searching and finally signing an agent that they could just up and go out of business. Mine has just hired a couple more people which would seem like a good sign but... eek.

Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: CortJstr on December 29, 2007, 03:35:09 pm
FYI, doing a Google search for site:touamb.com is usually way more effective than the board's built-in search. For some reason it always misses stuff that Google finds right away. WTF, Simple Machines Forum?
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2007, 03:49:03 pm
Cort, we are not worthy. Thank you.

http://touamb.com/index.php?topic=4067.msg107131 (http://touamb.com/index.php?topic=4067.msg107131)
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: theinevitable on December 29, 2007, 06:40:18 pm
um, I find it really unlikely that they would ever make an Achewood movie?? if they did, I am 90% sure it would fail miserably. Am I imagining this? Hollywood Deal?
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 29, 2007, 06:58:59 pm
Seems a lot more likely to work as a television animation project, really. Adult Swim or Comedy Central... maybe something like Spike or maybe even G4 if they were prepared to put some bread behind it... something like that.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 29, 2007, 08:28:54 pm
maybe something like Spike or maybe even G4 if they were prepared to put some bread behind it

I initially misread that as "Spice."  Eeeurgh. I do not like the idea of Spice putting bread behind anything.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: theinevitable on December 29, 2007, 09:28:52 pm
oh god... they will give them all horrible voices and will ruin it forever.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: CortJstr on December 29, 2007, 09:58:25 pm
I initially misread that as "Spice."  Eeeurgh. I do not like the idea of Spice putting bread behind anything.

Six times?!
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: Golfhaus on December 29, 2007, 11:05:20 pm
oh god... they will give them all horrible voices and will ruin it forever.

All Nathan Lane as the voice of Chucklebot... all Juliette Lewis as the voice of Molly...
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 29, 2007, 11:21:19 pm
You know they'd get Dane Cook and Seth Green involved.

You just know this because the world is an awful place.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: theinevitable on December 29, 2007, 11:56:18 pm
oh god
oh god... no

they couldn't...
the children! THE CHILDREN!

Someone would be voiced by Carlos Mencia, for some reason.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: Dexter on December 29, 2007, 11:59:10 pm
Someone would be voiced by Carlos Mencia, for some reason.
"Starring Carlos Mencia as Envelópe Martinez (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02012006)."
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: linnea on December 30, 2007, 12:05:47 am
"Starring Carlos Mencia as Envelópe Martinez (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02012006)."

Heh! That would be pretty awesome. Tiny can por tu, Señor.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: Dexter on December 30, 2007, 12:23:34 am
Heh! That would be pretty awesome. Tiny can por tu, Señor.
I dunno, man.  The implication I was angling for with "starring" was that an Achewood movie, if done Hollywood-style, would be butchered in order to give an originally minor character a more major role because said character is voiced by someone famous.

This is not to say that I don't appreciate the can!

In any case: an Achewood movie would be pretty weird I think, even if they didn't give everyone terrible voices that would ruin it forever as inev fears.  I mean, I just can't imagine Onstad's extremely spare art style translating well to animation, and any embellishments (like, oh, I don't know, colors or backgrounds) would take away from some of the appeal in my mind.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: linnea on December 30, 2007, 01:47:57 am
I dunno, man.  The implication I was angling for with "starring" was that an Achewood movie, if done Hollywood-style, would be butchered in order to give an originally minor character a more major role because said character is voiced by someone famous.

This is not to say that I don't appreciate the can!

In any case: an Achewood movie would be pretty weird I think, even if they didn't give everyone terrible voices that would ruin it forever as inev fears.  I mean, I just can't imagine Onstad's extremely spare art style translating well to animation, and any embellishments (like, oh, I don't know, colors or backgrounds) would take away from some of the appeal in my mind.

Mencia would be a pretty good choice for Envelópe. I can assure you, Virginia. THEY WILL NEVER MAKE AN ACHEWOOD MOVIE. If they did, they would never get mainstream stars to play characters for Ray and Beef. A minor actor such as Mencia would be a perfect choice for a supporting role.

I can't even remember where Envelópe is from, but I think he's Central/South American. Isn't Mencia Mexian/Honduran?
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: theinevitable on December 30, 2007, 04:43:11 am
yes, he is mexican or something central/south american. also, he is obnoxious and unfunny and should not be with a mile of anything I like, ever. we actually have a legal agreement where he will not eat mexican food, and in return, I won't make threatening phone calls to his house late at night.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 30, 2007, 05:17:49 am
Basically, they could use anyone in the cast of "Dazed and Confused" for voices and... that's it.

No other "name" actors.

I have no idea why I'm so ardent about such a random idea but there we are.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: theinevitable on December 30, 2007, 05:36:41 am
that movie... wow. It was so good. I was surprised.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: Ben-San on December 31, 2007, 08:40:23 pm
Voicing? I believe you are thinking in an insufficiently Hollywood direction.

It would be adapted as a live-action film about two non-cat childhood friends who get together to roll the Great Outdoor Fight. No alive stuffed animals or anthropomorphic cats would be involved.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: wombat on December 31, 2007, 08:50:29 pm
Ben! Don't be such a stranger.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: theinevitable on December 31, 2007, 08:54:10 pm
and it would end up not being in any way called or related to Achewood. it would be called, say, "The Fight." no one would know what happened to "the achewood movie" we were promised.

...I forget what book-to-movie this happened for? something I was looking forward to at the time.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: Golfhaus on December 31, 2007, 08:59:04 pm
The only way we will know that the movie we're watching originated with Onstad is Steve Buscemi's character screaming "NORTHWEST CORNER STEP ON IT STEP ON IT."
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 31, 2007, 09:18:29 pm
Everything funny and awesome about the action of the Great Outdoor Fight would be rendered ghoulish and awful by taking the mass carnage amoungst drawings of anthropomorphic cats and making it the ugly slashing and crushing deaths of real-looking human people.

So... of course that would be how it happened.

Of course the studios would make it into "300 for Hipsters!"

*sigh*
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: smick on January 01, 2008, 09:56:48 pm
I initially misread that as "Spice."  Eeeurgh. I do not like the idea of Spice putting bread behind anything.

I do like the idea of Achewood cartoons airing on Spice, and then the meta possibility of Cornelius doing the closed caption for the story about Cornelius laying in bed typing the closed captioning for Spice (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12162004).
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: jay-ell on January 05, 2008, 09:22:24 pm
I just can't imagine Onstad's extremely spare art style translating well to animation, and any embellishments (like, oh, I don't know, colors or backgrounds) would take away from some of the appeal in my mind.

It works OK for Kipper (http://www.hitentertainment.com/kipper/).  My son loves cartoons with spare backgrounds (see also: Pocoyo (http://www.pocoyo.com/)) because he's autistic and (we think) anything with too much going on onscreen distracts him from the "plot."  I think an adult-style cartoon with minimal backdrops would appeal to the Asperger's in all of us. 
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: V-Adore on January 05, 2008, 10:34:34 pm
Kipper looks very calming; visually, it reminds me of Roobarb, which I recall being a big hit of my childhood.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: jay-ell on January 06, 2008, 06:14:45 pm
Kipper is great for settling a kid down.  Little P's bedtime routine is a bath, then an hour of Kipper, then a little milk and off to bed. 

It also has the side benefit of teaching Received Pronunciation.  It's so cute to hear a two and a half year old say, "Hello, Kippah!  Ready, steady, go!" 
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: theinevitable on January 06, 2008, 06:20:17 pm
oh, lord. maybe he'll end up pronouncing random words with a British Accent like my little sister. She has slightly tapered off her unintentional-british-fakery, though, I think.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: linnea on January 06, 2008, 06:23:57 pm
oh, lord. maybe he'll end up pronouncing random words with a British Accent like my little sister. She has slightly tapered off her unintentional-british-fakery, though, I think.

Dang, the more I hear about her, the less I like her. Ugh.
Title: Re: Book Lag
Post by: jay-ell on January 06, 2008, 06:29:23 pm
If he's still doing it when he's in his teens, I'm totally sending him to spend the summer in New Jersey. 

He really only does it when he's actually reciting dialogue from the show.  He can quote Kipper like a geek can quote Monty Python.  It's cute, but a little unnerving.