The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: V-Adore on October 28, 2003, 05:12:24 am

Title: Life Is Never Neat (10-28-03)
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2003, 05:12:24 am
Don't we all want to Make Love Like a Mountain, really?

I love the art. Love, love, love it. Onstad's doing some gorgeous things these days, especially this -- simultaneously cute and on-model.

Seven-kinky!

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10282003).
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: AugustWest on October 28, 2003, 05:20:26 am
Well, first and foremost, V -- you get the obsessive fan award for checking Achewood at 12:01 a.m.

Second, and more importantly, WOW!  Two days in a row Onstad has awed me.  Although I'm not so sure that some of Ray's lines would have been better spoken by Beef.

Poot.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2003, 05:29:44 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Well, first and foremost, V -- you get the obsessive fan award for checking Achewood at 12:01 a.m.

I'm not sure whether this helps my cause or not, but I actually intended to check the board -- IE just misrouted me for some odd reason. (I had to check the URL to make sure the strip wasn't a weird prank by jough or something.)

I think you're right, though -- this strip gives us a surprisingly melancholy Ray. He's very sad, after all, about farting as a side product, even though presumably it won't impede his efforts with his special lady (seeing as he does make love like mountain and all).
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: jough on October 28, 2003, 07:24:11 am
I wonder how this strip will play to those reading it in the archives for the first time and missing out on Onstad's message up top:

Quote
Dear Readers: Due to financial mismanagement, we have been forced to sell Achewood off to Japanese interests. It has been a pleasure providing you with comics these last few years. Please enjoy the new strip. -CTO
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: starlight on October 28, 2003, 08:57:39 am
Oh my!  this was too much ...the 'love like a mountain' line made me think of this fanfic me and some others in my old forum used to make fun of the other year where this girl used the description 'like a volcano' for everything even when it didn't make sense.

and yes, I was thinking it was a bit sad for ray - maybe japanese who don't understand old characterization.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: andalucia on October 28, 2003, 12:37:54 pm
Wow, apparently I'm the only one who thought this strip was utterly fuck*ng awful.  Huh.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: MSC on October 28, 2003, 01:30:43 pm
This is great.  More evidence that Onstad's creativity has shot up since dispensing with his unhappy message board-tending duties.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: jay-ell on October 28, 2003, 01:33:15 pm
I totally would have called this topic "seven kinky."  In fact, that's my phrase of the week.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on October 28, 2003, 02:33:05 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
 Although I'm not so sure that some of Ray's lines would have been better spoken by Beef.


Ray and RB were merged into one character to save on costs (the Financial times had this quote  (http://www.itotallymadeupthisquote.com) from the new owners: "Too many character mean mighty big dollar. So we fix.") Tomorrow's strip will feature a still belligerent Lyle, but with the erudition of Mr. Bear.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2003, 02:38:28 pm
Today's post is brought to you in list format for easy consumption:

The archive version does include Chris's message about financial problems.

"CAPTION TEXT DISCONTINUE; NOT PROFITABLE" Priceless.

Taking the pills would have been out of character for Beef, though. I think Ray's final line was just poorly translated from "Dammit, why does shit like this have to been happenin'" or something.

Ray's glasses are actually a litter cooler than his normal pair.

Teador's cheeks are perfect.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: slink on October 28, 2003, 04:17:27 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I totally would have called this topic "seven kinky."  In fact, that's my phrase of the week.


As it has become mine. Excellent.
I'm gonna end up confusing everyone now... Damn.

Oh, and for me the most priceless thing - the conversion of Ray's thong into a Sumo pouch!
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2003, 08:04:56 pm
Was anybody else reminded of the courtroom episode of Clerks?

"Who is driving?"
"Oh no! Bear is driving! How can this be?"
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: jough on October 28, 2003, 08:07:11 pm
That was the only time I ever laughed out loud during the entire run of the Clerks animated show - although I did buy the DVD.

And as a side note, the "B" key on my keyboard is sticking a little, and it's amazing to me how unused that particular key is, now that I'm noticing each time it's pushed.

Do not many words have "b's" in them?  Very very strange indeed.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2003, 08:18:35 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "jldunston"
I totally would have called this topic "seven kinky."  In fact, that's my phrase of the week.


As it has become mine. Excellent.
I'm gonna end up confusing everyone now... Damn.

Oh, and for me the most priceless thing - the conversion of Ray's thong into a Sumo pouch!


WORD on the sumo pouch! Awesome. I like Teodors rosy cheeks, too.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2003, 08:23:59 pm
Quote from: "jough"
That was the only time I ever laughed out loud during the entire run of the Clerks animated show - although I did buy the DVD.

And as a side note, the "B" key on my keyboard is sticking a little, and it's amazing to me how unused that particular key is, now that I'm noticing each time it's pushed.

Do not many words have "b's" in them?  Very very strange indeed.


The part with Jay on the scooter made me laugh. "Feel the wind in yo face!"

B is actually pretty common: http://www.askoxford.com/asktheexperts/faq/aboutwords/frequency

I can also say that in my personal experiences (ie my CDs and mp3's) more band names start with B than any other letter by far.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: V-Adore on October 28, 2003, 09:13:14 pm
Only now do I notice Ray's loincloth has turned into a mawashi. PROPER.

It is also weirding me out more and more to look at Ray's oval Geordi-Laforge glasses thing. Perhaps it is Ray... of the future?!

Seven-kinky!
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: jough on October 28, 2003, 09:59:38 pm
Common?  In that chart B is fifth from the least-common letter!

Anyway, perhaps it's just the words that I use.  I hardly ever use the second letter of the alphabet, since I now am aware of each time I press the letter "B".
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: slink on October 28, 2003, 10:03:21 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Common?  In that chart B is fifth from the least-common letter!

Anyway, perhaps it's just the words that I use.  I hardly ever use the second letter of the alphabet, since I now am aware of each time I press the letter "B".


You really should start referring to it as something else then!
My friend had his 5 key on his cell lock up, which he found really annoying since he could only phone people in his book, and texting became near impossible. ghi turned out to be used far more than he expected.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: CortJstr on October 28, 2003, 10:54:54 pm
Well it's tenth up in the other chart. But it's still above the lowly J's and V's of the world. I should save that for the next time I get bored and play Hangman online.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: palm trees on October 29, 2003, 03:00:58 am
it's all about the


POOT!


that made me laugh out loud. call me peurile, but... just call me puerile. fuck*ng great.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: Thak on October 29, 2003, 05:28:55 am
Ugh, I didn't like this strip.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: doomglobe on October 29, 2003, 05:04:29 pm
Thak has hella side product!
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 29, 2003, 09:12:20 pm
In his new incarnation, Ray would look great on the packaging of some awful asian candy made with tamarind and salt.
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on October 29, 2003, 09:19:39 pm
Quote from: "Steve Hogan"
In his new incarnation, Ray would look great on the packaging of some awful asian candy made with tamarind and salt.


CAN SUCH THINGS BE? (http://www.bad-candy.com/)
Title: Life Is Never Neat -- 10/28
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 29, 2003, 10:32:56 pm
Probably.

http://www.bad-candy.com/