The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on January 05, 2008, 04:44:15 am
-
I just got an i-pod nano which I love.
Does anyone here know why I have problems with sortation in i-tunes? Several albums show up with all the correct info, but rather than being one albume, they split in to 10 different albums. This usually happens with compilations or mix albums, and the same artists usually split off into a separate 'album' but occasionally, an Album all by the same artist splits.
How do I set the sortation, the columns and the album info to prevent this from happening? It's driving me nuts.
Also, how do I do tags in Last.fm and why do some tracks played in i-tunes or the i-pod not show up on last.fm?
Thanks for helping me out. Ever since I turned 40 and had to hang these onions on my belt I've lost the ability to work this here new technology.
-
Alright if you right click or whatever, there will be an option for compilation. I would assume that would help you and kind of explain what to do/sort it out automatically, but I don't actually use that so I am not sure how it works/ works with the ipod. I usually do:
Artist: Compilation Title
Song: Tune Y/ Artist X
Also, on the all the same artist thing; just highlight all the songs, right click, then type in the Artist/ Album name if they are not there. If they are there, put a check in the box next to those fields. It is a little buggy.
When I switched to mac I had a lot of problems with and basically hated itunes. I got those all sorted now and love it, so keep the questions coming if you need.
oh, re-read, I guess if it is a sorting problem, click on album then click on artist bar at the top and that might sort it out. Also, the little eye ball looking thing in the right bottom corner, click that and try it out. I love that mode. No idea on Last.fm
-
Last.fm will reject anything with a name like "track 1" or any track name that's entirely inside of parenthesis or brackets. Songs under 30 seconds are also rejected.
A somewhat boring but effective solution is to use the tagger from Musicbrainz which analyzing your tracks and sets the proper titles.
-
The thing to remember about iTunes is that it's basically awesome once you find out that there's a "sort artist" field where you can enter the artist name you want iTunes to sort a song by, while not changing the artist name that it displays, because then you can go all last name then first name in that field and have your Emmylou Harris coming immediately before your George Harrison, exactly the same way it goes on your CD shelves.
-
The thing to remember about iTunes is that it's basically awesome once you find out that there's a "sort artist" field where you can enter the artist name you want iTunes to sort a song by, while not changing the artist name that it displays, because then you can go all last name then first name in that field and have your Emmylou Harris coming immediately before your George Harrison, exactly the same way it goes on your CD shelves.
Oh wait... Really? Really! fantastic. I really haven't bothered much with fiddling in iTunes, but I did sort of wonder about that.
-
The thing to remember about iTunes is that it's basically awesome once you find out that there's a "sort artist" field where you can enter the artist name you want iTunes to sort a song by, while not changing the artist name that it displays, because then you can go all last name then first name in that field and have your Emmylou Harris coming immediately before your George Harrison, exactly the same way it goes on your CD shelves.
I did not know that either. Thanks for that.
-
So, on to the followup question
Anyone got a way to rip DVD movies to i-tunes?
-
So, on to the followup question
Anyone got a way to rip DVD movies to i-tunes?
If you download a dvd ripper that can make the move into a mp4, mpeg, mpg. mov format, you can just put the resulting file into your itunes movies folder. This is what I do.
-
Alright, so here is a question. On a mac, using toast titanium, how/can I put downloaded stuff on a dvd. Like, if I have a 700mb Big Lebowski mpg (or whatever it is), how do I get that on a dvd that will work in a normal dvd player.
This question is actually for Wire seasons, which, IS STARTING SEASON 5 TODAY!
Oh yeah, can install windows for a little while if I need to/someone knows how to do it that way.
-
Alright, so here is a question. On a mac, using toast titanium, how/can I put downloaded stuff on a dvd. Like, if I have a 700mb Big Lebowski mpg (or whatever it is), how do I get that on a dvd that will work in a normal dvd player.
This question is actually for Wire seasons, which, IS STARTING SEASON 5 TODAY!
Oh yeah, can install windows for a little while if I need to/someone knows how to do it that way.
If you can manage to do all that stuff, you might not be taking your drugs right or something.
-
I bought a song of Puretracks because I couldn't find it anywhere else, but since it's a WMA file with some sort of rights protection I can't play it in iTunes (iTunes says it will convert it when I try to add it then I get a pop up saying an unknown error has occurred). Anyone know how to get around this?
-
I know you can (or could, if that drm bs has gotten better) but I don't know how. Since you bought it you could just download another version.
-
I bought a song of Puretracks because I couldn't find it anywhere else, but since it's a WMA file with some sort of rights protection I can't play it in iTunes (iTunes says it will convert it when I try to add it then I get a pop up saying an unknown error has occurred). Anyone know how to get around this?
If you download musicks from thepiratebay (dot org) or from mininova (also dot org) then they're DRM-FREE. You don't have to worry about bullshit like that.
Alternatively, you could burn the song to a CD using Windows Media Player. Then just rip the track back onto your computer in your favorite format.
-
I have a program that does it. I got it from my friend. it is called "fairuse" and is pretty good. I am kind of worried that if I point a specific link out to you you'll get some kind of crazy spyware or virus or something? if you search for "fairuse4wm" you will find some sites. They are probably fine.
Anyway, these are the steps:
open the program
click "recover keys"
there are some things that pop up and say that you are going to find a key, and that windows media player might open. find the file you want to convert to no-DRM version, that you legally have the right to. select it.
hit next
add the file to the list of files to make "device independent"
click on "output" and pick where you want the files to go. I just send them to my "My Music" folder to a folder I made called "de-DRMed."
click Next
go to iTunes and add the file to your library
Success!
if it doesn't work, tell me. I do not know if I will be able to help, but, who knows.
I feel no remorse, I spend all of my money on CDs and LPs.
-
If you download musicks from thepiratebay (dot org) or from mininova (also dot org) then they're DRM-FREE. You don't have to worry about bullshit like that.
Alternatively, you could burn the song to a CD using Windows Media Player. Then just rip the track back onto your computer in your favorite format.
Under normal circumstances she may not like to do that, since, well, some see it as theft. I do it, but, I would say, especially in this situation, it is the easiest way.
Also, that second recommendation will make it sound like shit.
-
If you own the music on a CD, how is it illegal to download a copy of something you already own on CD and you're just circumventing a protection that can't really be fully-dully legal?
-
Under normal circumstances she may not like to do that, since, well, some see it as theft. I do it, but, I would say, especially in this situation, it is the easiest way.
Also, that second recommendation will make it sound like shit.
That's not true. You just have to make sure that your settings are good. In Windows Media Player, I think you may have to pay to upgrade in order to use the decent settings.
If you burn it as a high-quality WAV file onto an audio CD, then rip it back using high-bitrate settings, there should be no noticeable loss of sound quality.
-
That's not true. You just have to make sure that your settings are good. In Windows Media Player, I think you may have to pay to upgrade in order to use the decent settings.
If you burn it as a high-quality WAV file onto an audio CD, then rip it back using high-bitrate settings, there should be no noticeable loss of sound quality.
Unless you are a true audiophile, and you think everything since the 78 has been a downhill slide.
-
so true.
so true.
I have a copy of Slint's "Spiderland" on vinyl that I've only listened to 3 or 4 times. Despite having taken the utmost care each and every time, it has crackles and pops and weird bumpy noises already.
I like a format that doesn't forgive mistakes, you know? Why should listening to music be easy?
*ejects his iPod so that it won't freeze when he unplugs it*
-
Unless you are a true audiophile and you think everything since the 78 has been a downhill slide.
You joke but my brother ...is... that guy.
-
That's not true. You just have to make sure that your settings are good. In Windows Media Player, I think you may have to pay to upgrade in order to use the decent settings.
If you burn it as a high-quality WAV file onto an audio CD, then rip it back using high-bitrate settings, there should be no noticeable loss of sound quality.
Usually you don't buy WAV files from internet stores, but you are right if it is a WAV file. (WAV is lossless, it is just like a cd) Since hers is a .wma, unless it is wma lossless, which I doubt it is, it will sound bad.
Seriously, I am not that person, and I don't know too much about wma, but assuming it is like 192 kbs/ v0, if she burns that and then rips it back to 192 it WILL sound horrible. Trust me. I have no problem with 192, I do with transcoded 192. In fact, pretty much every private music site on the internet has rules against this.
-
Thanks for the info folks. I take no issue with using isoHunt to find all my music and searched every torrent site I could for a torrent of it before I caved and bought it from Puretracks. The real kicker is that I had the track years ago on Napster, but then my old computer (which didn't even have a burner) crashed and I lost all my music. Even better is that before that I bought the CD that it was supposed to be on, but I bought the "special edition" which turned out to not have the song because it was a US release and the Canadian and UK non-special editions were the only ones that had the track on it. Instead the version I bought had a bunch of crappy videos on it. This is what I get for liking artists nobody has heard of.
I'll check out the program Inev suggests. I'd allready searched for programs that convert for you - and lots come up - but they all look hella shady, like they'll put Bonzi Buddy right in the middle of your screen with no option to minimize or something.
-
If you tell me the artist and track names I can search for it real quick.