The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: jay-ell on January 09, 2008, 02:55:37 pm

Title: Toddler game launcher
Post by: jay-ell on January 09, 2008, 02:55:37 pm
So, my hubby is brilliant, basically is what I'm saying here. 

Pedro spent an hour last night and wrote an HTML script that launches our son's Reader Rabbit games from a web browser.  Then he made it P's home page and put IE in the startup folder.  So now all P has to do when he wants to play a video game (or go to Playhouse Disney or some other little kid website) is turn on the PC (which he knows how to do), click on the icon for his profile (which he knows how to do), and single-click on any of the large, kid-friendly icons in the web browser (which he figured out on his own the first time through). 

Brilliant.  Both of them. 

Just wanted to brag. 
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: V-Adore on January 09, 2008, 07:30:53 pm
At first, I thought this topic was going to be about launching toddler games physically -- like, from the roof, with a trebuchet.

The actual topic is much more practical and kind of cooler, but I still feel slightly let down.
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: side_show on January 09, 2008, 08:07:47 pm
Me too.  To the point where I didn't read this thread at work because I didn't want to get fired.
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: jay-ell on January 09, 2008, 08:54:51 pm
Sorry to disappoint, guys.  Although I think it's pretty cool that I was able to inadvertently imply NSFWness with a mere thread title. 
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: jaydub on January 09, 2008, 11:00:28 pm
Me too.  To the point where I didn't read this thread at work because I didn't want to get fired.
Now if the thread-title had been "Toddler launcher game" or even better, "Toddler launcher drinking game", I'd be inclined to believe you.
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: CortJstr on January 09, 2008, 11:14:14 pm
How many toddlers can you launch in 3 minutes?
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: Doc on January 09, 2008, 11:18:45 pm
I figured that it was some memetic mutation of the how many five year olds can you beat up thing except someone made it into a flash game or some such.

But Ash is totally right that is a cool yet relatively simple thing and you could make a killing selling it to people, especially if you customize it which allows you to raise the price incredibly for relatively little extra work (if the template is already there anyway).
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: side_show on January 09, 2008, 11:29:32 pm
How many toddlers can you launch in 3 minutes?

It depends:  are there seesaws nearby?
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: CortJstr on January 09, 2008, 11:47:33 pm
It depends:  are there seesaws nearby?

You can lay on your back, curl your legs back, and have them sit on your feet, put them like a shot, or swing them by their arms/legs like a hammer throw. Your choice.
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: Golfhaus on January 10, 2008, 12:31:35 am
howmanytoddlerscanyoulaunchintoflight.c om
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2008, 07:40:18 pm
I need to show JL this link, and if I just go by the first post or so this seems like the most appropriate thread: With the ZAC Web Browser, Autistic Children Can Use the Web Too (http://www.webmonkey.com/blog/with%20the%20zac%20web%20browser%20autistic%20children%20can%20use%20the%20web%20too)
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: jay-ell on June 04, 2008, 08:25:42 pm
Hm, yeah, I've heard of that before. 

Pedro's is cooler, because it launches non-web-based games as well, and my autistic three-year-old is navigating the web just fine, thanks.  (He's on PlayhouseDisney.com right now, and he's figured out how to navigate the dialog boxes to print out pictures to color.) 

Also, Pedro recently developed some "workarounds" so that some of P's games run without the CD.  This allows for easy transitioning between games for Little Mr. Short Attention Span here.  It's pretty nice.
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: CortJstr on June 04, 2008, 08:39:38 pm
I knew that there were no computer-use issues in your house, this was more because you have an interest in autism in general.
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: jay-ell on June 04, 2008, 09:30:10 pm
Yeah, I guess I didn't express the point of my post.  We heard about the Zac browser on the radio, and kind of went, "um, why are they marketing this as only being useful to autistic kids?"  It sounds like a neat thing for kids in general, to us. 

Neat, though, that there's stuff like that out there.  It frees up Pedro for other things.  ;)
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: theinevitable on June 09, 2008, 08:10:54 pm
the kids I am counselor-ing (counseling?) were born when I was in 8th grade.

Eesh. It starts.
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: jaydub on June 09, 2008, 08:28:59 pm
I knew it was time to graduate college when the incoming freshmen were too young to have seen Return of the Jedi in the theatre.
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: CortJstr on June 09, 2008, 08:36:59 pm
I knew it was time to graduate college when the incoming freshmen were too young to have seen Return of the Jedi in the theatre.

It gets worse (http://www.basicinstructions.net/news/2008/06/ka-cheesa-crispa-greedo.html).
Title: Re: Toddler game launcher
Post by: jaydub on June 09, 2008, 11:09:12 pm
In composing my earlier note, I mentioned high schoolers who were born after Star Wars.  It didn't even occur to me to call it by the episode name.   The whole Han shoots first debacle was silly.  What happened to character growth?  So its insufficiently heroic to gun down Greedo?  Isn't he a smuggler anyway?  By that rationale, Han shouldn't have shot back at all - he could have just got up and walked away.  If Greedo couldn't hit from 2 feet, there wasn't much to lose by increasing the gap while showing the yellow streak down your back.