The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Death Ray on January 14, 2008, 10:41:03 pm

Title: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: Death Ray on January 14, 2008, 10:41:03 pm
I first heard of Achewood through James Lileks, a columnist/blogger, a couple years ago. I am curious how others came to discover this strip.

I would also like to know what is everyone's favorite podcast about comics?  I listen to a few through the Comics Podcast Network, but I'd like to know which ones are the most popular (especially podcasts about webstrips).

Feed my head!
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 14, 2008, 11:26:42 pm
A good friend of mine from college at Syracuse... who is also out in LA but is somewhat more successful than me as he works in the salt-mines as a story editor on reality television... was a huge fan of the Ache and told me to just give it a chance as it is great.

That the first few would be weird and not particularly funny but stay with it and it'll be great.

Dude was right, of course.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: theinevitable on January 14, 2008, 11:34:04 pm
It was linked to from one of the dozen other webcomics I read at the time. Achewood is the only one I still read.

Quote
a story editor on reality television

This job sounds like something LFM would make up, but I believe that it is real.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: oball on January 14, 2008, 11:54:06 pm
A guy on a forum I post on kept using panels from Achewood as his signature.  I remember he had "Like I give a shit, snot-cock! Put a sock in it and pass me another eight hundo!" and "Here comes a huge fag", among others.  I was wondering what they were from, and later he posted a link to Achewood and said "This is the webcomic where I get my sig images from and everyone should read it because it's the best webcomic there is."

So I read it.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: jaydub on January 15, 2008, 12:03:15 am
Matt Boyd (now at at TPS (http://www.threepanelsoul.com/view.php?date=2007-11-06)) linked to Achewood in the Rant section of MacHall  (http://www.machall.com)a couple years ago.  The GOF was in its final stages - I read back to get the whole story, then hit the archives hard as the awesomeness soaked in.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 15, 2008, 12:07:16 am
No no, it is a real job.

It is basically the dude who looks at all the raw footage from that week or day or whatever of tape and sketches out for the video editors how it should come together into an episode of television that (kind of) tells a story.

What needs to be tweaked in editing, what needs voice-overs to pull it together, what needs additional stuff shot to have it make sense like... "confessional" interviews with the cast or whatever... graphics, flashbacks, etc.

Whatever needs to be done to make a bunch of fame-grabbing dullards overacting so that they can have their fifteen minutes of fame look like they're actually going through a sequence of events that tells a story... he comes up with that.

Basically, y'know, the producers write the little scenarios that they're gonna put the contestants through... roughly knowing how the people are going to react but not quite having a "script" persay... and then the story editors take the output and figure out how to squeeze it into a narrative.

It is a lot like making a documentary that is shameless in its bias... you don't really "write" anything persay but by carefully choosing what you shoot to begin with and then massaging the hell out of it in post-production, it might as well be written.

Story editor is in charge of the second half of that process.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: CortJstr on January 15, 2008, 12:26:41 am
Lileks for me too. The first time he mentioned it, I think. There was a re-run of the French Fry saga running at the time. Right after he talked about the Lung Buddies story I stopped reading the Bleat.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: wombat on January 15, 2008, 12:28:20 am
Lileks.

We've done this before, of course.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: CortJstr on January 15, 2008, 12:32:21 am
Yup, we even had a brief Lileks forum because so many of us found Achewood from the Bleat.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: side_show on January 15, 2008, 12:39:16 am
I was working at a call centre for a dial-up ISP that no longer exists back in late 2001.  It was a boring place to work, but we were allowed to surf the net as much as we liked.  I got into reading The Parking Lot is Full* because it was regularly posted on another site I read.  I was laughing pretty hard about one, so the guy across the isle from me and a few people from neighbouring cubicles came over to see.  I think I was reading either this one (http://plif.andkon.com/archive/wc205.gif) or this one (http://plif.andkon.com/archive/wc094.gif) at the time.  The guy across the isle liked my twisted sense of humour and we went out on a date.  On this date, he was telling me about this other web comic he liked that had just posted a strip about knives. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12072001)**  I had no idea what he was talking about, so shortly after the date I checked it out - probably reading this one (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=12102001), and thought "well this sort of sucks" and dismissed it.  A few dates later, the guy was over at my place and we were both bemoaning the fact that the artist and writer of The Parking Lot is Full had announced that they were ending the strip.  The guy asked if I had checked out Achewood, I said I had, but that I didn't really like it, but he insisted I give it another try, went to my computer and brought up the first strip ever (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10012001) and got me to read a few from there.  I said it was okay, but I wasn't really into it.  I continued to date the guy, and he still really liked Achewood.  Later I returned to the archive and started reading, and shortly after I found the dumbrella messageboard.  There wasn't a particular strip that hooked me, but I think maybe because I got into Achewood only a couple months after Onstad started it up, and also because he ran a messageboard where I could talk with him directly (which seemed so cool at the time!) that it seemed like a fairly accessable strip to read.  The guy across the isle became the boyfriend, became the SO - he still reads Achewood, but his interest has wained I think.

If you're looking to develop a stronger fan base, I'd say what lured me (one of the few early Achewood fans with a lady hole) to regular readership was the messageboard and an opportunity to explore the inner workings of the strips.  But then the original messageboard made Onstad go sort of crazy, so... uh, I don't know.

I don't listen to Podcasts I'm afraid, so no input there.

*The Parking Lot is Full is so similar to  The Perry Bible Fellowship, (http://pbfcomics.com/) with the lack (for the most part) of ongoing characters, the absurdity and the regular parodying of products and culture, etc, that I finally feel like I've found the thing to fill my PLF hole with: PBF.

** Holy hell, I just realized the SO and I have been celebrating our anniversary each year on the wrong date!  Our first date would have to have been on or after Dec 7th, since that's when the "These Knives" strip was posted, but we've been celebrating on the 5th!  Oops!
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: jay-ell on January 15, 2008, 12:52:31 am
Lileks.

We've done this before, of course.

From my brain to Womb@'s keyboard.  As usual. 
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: oball on January 15, 2008, 12:52:55 am
Heh, The Parking Lot is Full was the first webcomic I read.  I was round at a friend's house, probably in grade 12 or first year uni (so 2001 or 2002), stoned out of my mind, and he told me I should check it out.  So I looked it up, and spent the next couple of hours sitting at his computer laughing my arse off at it while my friends watched some shitty movie.  Good times.

I think my favourite strip is this one (http://plif.andkon.com/archive/wc135.gif).
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 15, 2008, 02:31:34 am
I'm pretty sure I was led to Achewood from Ted Barlow's blog.  Which no longer exists, but I think he writes for Crooked Timber now.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: CortJstr on January 15, 2008, 02:36:04 am
How did I first find Achewood? Quirky and amusing.

</required lame joke>
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: V-Adore on January 15, 2008, 04:23:51 am
I moved the potato, and there it was!
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: Enkidu on January 16, 2008, 08:39:43 pm
I can't recall how I originally found achewood.  Most likely someone posted a link in the arstechnica lounge (http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/34709834).  The link in my bookmarks folder says July 22, 2004.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 16, 2008, 08:53:38 pm
The links to Parking Lot is Full are showing up as blank.  I've never heard of Parking Lot is Full, but as I love PBF I really want to see these.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: AugustWest on January 16, 2008, 09:49:23 pm
The links to Parking Lot is Full are showing up as blank.  I've never heard of Parking Lot is Full, but as I love PBF I really want to see these.

Here you go. (http://plif.andkon.com/archive/archive.htm)  Good stuff but hell of dark.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: side_show on January 16, 2008, 10:07:55 pm
The links to Parking Lot is Full are showing up as blank.  I've never heard of Parking Lot is Full, but as I love PBF I really want to see these.

How weird, they definitely worked before.  The two I was referring to was the Cabbage Patch one or the Garfield/Odie one.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: oball on January 17, 2008, 12:20:28 am
Here's the one I was linking to, rehosted. (http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/oball/wc135.gif)
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: Lister on January 19, 2008, 07:32:43 pm
I turned left at Greenland.

Or was linked by one of the newsposts at Penny-Arcade.  I remember absolutely hating the fact that Onstad didn't always use the correct punctuation at the end of sentences, but I thought it was still pretty funny.  Plus, I couldn't predict it, which is basically my standard for good entertainment.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 19, 2008, 07:46:24 pm
Plus, I couldn't predict it, which is basically my standard for good entertainment.

That is a damn good standard.  I learned about it from a good friend.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: Nabubrush on January 22, 2008, 05:56:46 pm
I'm pretty sure I was reading something that had a Dumbrella forum and I found it there. WiGU?
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 22, 2008, 09:43:58 pm
A friend of mine lent me one of the books - I think the fourth one - whichever one starts off with Ray and Philippe visiting Mark Twain in the time machine.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: linnea on February 03, 2008, 07:52:45 am
Y'know, I thought I answered this question in an older thread, except now I can't locate the thread. I found Achewood through a link from another webcomic, and thought it was amazing. This was in the early days, probably late 2001/early 2002 or shortly after the strip began.

Also I am at 2800 posts.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: milhouse on February 04, 2008, 04:09:27 pm
  Plus, I couldn't predict it, which is basically my standard for good entertainment.

My standard as well.

I got to Achewood through the talkbass forum. Someone had posted the strip with Teodor saying anyone can bass.
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01042007 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01042007)
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: theinevitable on February 04, 2008, 05:40:07 pm
I alternate between thinking that the bass is so easy, and so hard.

I guess what it comes down to is, it's easy to play the bass (in, say, a rock band) and be completely boring and yet sufficient.
But there are things you can do with the bass that are awesome and add a lot to a song, and these are things I cannot pretend to know how to do.

and then, you know, Mingus. good lord.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: MagFlare on February 15, 2008, 11:08:53 am
A coworker of mine left the company to work at Checker Book Publishing a few years ago, right before Checker Book was set to print a volume of Achewood comics. The former coworker said that the deal fell through because Onstad demanded too much creative control.

"What the hell sort of webcomic does this guy run where he needs that sort of control?" I wondered.

Now I know.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2008, 02:06:55 pm
OMG, what the hell kind of book company do they run where it's mysterious to them that a creative person wants creative control?

Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 15, 2008, 04:29:56 pm
Well... I'd assume that publishing companies look at webcomics and think that they're doing their creators a HUGE favor even considering publishing them, you know.

Such as "this guy can't even get in an alternative-weekly newspaper and he's making demands on us?"

I'm not saying its right but it is understandable. If you are a dinosaur about media, you could well think... well, Jesus, we are offering this dude Actual Money and Actual Exposure, he should be sucking our cocks as he signs the contract.

Which probably IS the case for 99.44% of webcomics, really.

However, dude seems to have a merch-driven business model that actually works as a dayjob on a certain scale and so he does not have the desperation built in that "Generic Gamer Comic #43622" or "Look, Ma, I Can Draw Kind of Japanese-ish" has.

I do understand their miscalculation... from a certain point of view.
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: MagFlare on February 15, 2008, 09:04:26 pm
OMG, what the hell kind of book company do they run where it's mysterious to them that a creative person wants creative control?

He made it sound as though Onstad's demands were irrational - but, then, he would, because anything Onstad wanted changed represented more work for him.

I'd believe that Onstad is difficult to please. Artists who are really invested in their work usually are. And he seems from his writings like the sort of guy who'll obsess for half an hour over the choice of a single word; it's not surprising that he'd have equally high standards for others who find themselves working on Achewood.

(Edit: Perhaps I should also mention that this former coworker is an extremely religious man, and Onstad's choice of material alone offended him.)
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: Golfhaus on February 16, 2008, 01:52:08 am
(Edit: Perhaps I should also mention that this former coworker is an extremely religious man, and Onstad's choice of material alone offended him.)

Yeah, if he's that religious, Onstad asking for a pen to sign the contract with would've had him saying, "Oh, THIS guy..."
Title: Re: How did you first find Achewood?
Post by: Beatrice on February 19, 2008, 07:24:20 pm
bozack did it.  during the beef-goes-to-the-moon arc, he said he wanted the Fuckin' (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=08072002) poster on his wall.  and i was thus reborn.