The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Mite on October 28, 2003, 11:52:07 pm

Title: How should I carve my pumpkin?
Post by: Mite on October 28, 2003, 11:52:07 pm
I bought a pumpkin. I used a very big knife to cut the top off (very gratifying after a crappy day as an urban schoolteacher). I cleaned it out. Now, I'm drawing a blank. What should I carve?

Note: my pumpkin is a little lopsided. It has a nice flat side, but it tilts at about a 60 degree angle of inclination. So anything I carve will either look as though its staring up to the heavens or lying dead somewhere.
Title: How should I carve my pumpkin?
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 28, 2003, 11:54:40 pm
Carve a large Pi into the front of it.
Amaze your friends with your wit.
Title: How should I carve my pumpkin?
Post by: jough on October 29, 2003, 12:17:46 am
Ah yes, Pumpkin Pi. I saw that on a t-shirt once.

I've always been a fan of the "cool" pumpkins - one with a smirk, and just holes for the eyes - but, you have to cut little slots in both sides so that they can hold the ends of the hip sunglasses that you put over the eyes.

You could always make your pumpkin look like Ray. Glasses, a thong, medallion, and of course, a martini.
Title: How should I carve my pumpkin?
Post by: Choop on October 29, 2003, 12:40:31 am
There's always these brand spankin' h*r (http://www.homestarrunner.com/stencils.html) stencils

edit: also, you should cut the bottom out of the punkin next time: it leaves a better-looking Jack of the Lantern, and if you carve a hole in the inside of the base, you have an instant candleholder. No more reaching down into the carved punkin with meaty, hammer-like hands!
Title: How should I carve my pumpkin?
Post by: Mite on October 29, 2003, 12:50:16 am
Ok - just ran out to the store to buy 2 more pumpkins and one of those dumb-yet-useful carving kits. I'll try my hand at a little freehand design work, but I'm not particularly confident. I like the homestar stencils, but since I'm already thinking about doing topato (http://www.dumbrella.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=001917), that might be a little nerd-overkill.

But that pi one - genius. If I didn't know my kids would smash it the second it got in the door I'd bring it to my Algebra class.
Title: How should I carve my pumpkin?
Post by: slink on October 29, 2003, 01:15:37 am
I went off the normal look. I'm a fan of the really impressive ones, using half cut to get glows and different shades and then really insanely well done designs, whole images not just a face.
But I never had anywhere near the talent to pull that kind of thing off...
Title: How should I carve my pumpkin?
Post by: AugustWest on October 29, 2003, 04:14:43 am
With the stencils and the tools even the moderately complex ones come out well,  even for a ham-handed clod like me.  It's all connect the dots.