The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: side_show on January 16, 2008, 12:45:12 am

Title: No Country for Old Men
Post by: side_show on January 16, 2008, 12:45:12 am
... is brilliant.

Anton Chigurh will go down as one of the greatest film villains in history.  It's been a long time since I've been surprised by a film.  So good.  I went in blind, knowing nothing about it, and it's fantastic.  I don't want to say too much about it, because it's better to watch such a film unspoiled by the analysis of others.  See it, come here to talk about it.

I have yet to see "There Will Be Blood" but anything with Daniel Day Lewis makes it for me. 

It's been a while since I was excited about movies.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: theinevitable on January 16, 2008, 02:20:38 am
that movie was so goddamn good. Coming out of it, we agreed that we still didn't feel like we were in real life...

and then we almost got in a bizarre wreck where 2 cars in a row turned across our lane when we had a green light, didn't slow down, and didn't even honk at us as we almost hit them. We were freaking the fuck out.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Death Ray on January 16, 2008, 05:49:40 pm
Truly classic. What is it about Texans that they can't detect pure evil when it is coming at them with a cattle stunner?
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 16, 2008, 05:54:39 pm
Ive heard this was good, but bloody? (not that thats a problem for me).  However, I am eager to see There Will Be Blood. That movie looks brilliant.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: side_show on January 16, 2008, 09:27:48 pm
You get the amount of blood you would expect from a film such as this (plenty), you see less of the actual acts than you might expect - but it's less the violence, but the psychological nature of the violence that is so very deeply disturbing.  I had nightmares.

"There Will be Blood" is guaranteed to be awesome.  I mean you could give PT Anderson a camera and lock him in a room with Daniel Day Lewis for a couple days, and any thing they did would be worth watching.  So, yeah.  Also, that guy from Little Miss Sunshine is pretty fantastic too.  So, yeah:  There Will be Blood?  There Will be a Lady Who Will Enjoy This.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Doc on January 22, 2008, 11:21:13 am
Just saw No Country. Lots of muttering as the movie ended but I was well pleased.
I don't know if it's kosher to spoil at this point since I figure most people will see it already have but the car crash at the end, I initially felt very let down because I assumed a deus ex mechina karma for no reason ending. I was wrong to doubt the Coens.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on January 28, 2008, 05:45:55 pm
Just watched it on quicksilverscreen and now I understand why it is so popular in the awards circuit. Damn thats some good cinema. Is it bad I love the killer? As in like, I could see hanging out with him, if he wasn't going to kill me.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: theinevitable on January 28, 2008, 06:30:13 pm
dude... he would kill you. You just wouldn't know it was coming.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Doc on January 28, 2008, 11:00:52 pm
Yeah, that dude is basically Nice Pete with more strategy and better anger management.

Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2008, 01:20:24 pm
Saw this a couple of days ago and loved it.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: side_show on March 25, 2008, 09:35:25 pm
I think the best thing about this movie is how quiet it is.  It's an internal, contemplative sort of horror.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: theinevitable on March 25, 2008, 09:43:18 pm
did anyone else really want Diner food after seeing it?

we were on our way to a diner when we almost got in a really surreal wreck, as mentioned above.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: Doc on March 26, 2008, 08:01:51 am
I think the best thing about this movie is how quiet it is.  It's an internal, contemplative sort of horror.

Yeah, someone pointed out to me before I saw it that it basically has no ambient music. I noticed a chord or two during the intro but I think that was about it.
It makes each sound that is there all the more impactful. The scene with the transponder beeping in the hallway wouldn't have been nearly as tense if there was hitch-cock style BE TENSE NOW! music.
Title: Re: No Country for Old Men
Post by: jough on March 29, 2008, 04:54:46 pm
This movie is pretty great.  I don't think it's as Wagnerian Opera great as "There Will Be Blood" was, but I'm happy enough that it won Best Picture.  It'll stand up there well with the other recent winners.