The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MrMandible on January 18, 2008, 02:19:06 pm

Title: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: MrMandible on January 18, 2008, 02:19:06 pm
http://www.catandgirl.com

It'll be number 562 in the archives if it's off the mainpage when you read this.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: linnea on January 18, 2008, 04:04:02 pm
http://www.catandgirl.com

It'll be number 562 in the archives if it's off the mainpage when you read this.

Hell yes! Looks like Dorothy backs some of us up on the position of Molly's character. Thank you for the link.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: jaydub on January 18, 2008, 07:45:46 pm
Applause!
(Although I'm on the fence about Molly, which is kinda like being on the fence about W., I guess)
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 18, 2008, 10:05:06 pm
I'm pro-Molly because... I mean... of course she's gonna be weird and bitchy occasionally, SHE HAS TO PUT UP WITH BEEF AS HER LOVER. There is no way that someone perfectly likable would put up with his crap for that long.

Love is 80% trade-offs and... love with insane people is nearly 100% trade-offs.

This is how it works for real people, why not too for talking cats?
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: linnea on January 18, 2008, 10:10:58 pm
I'm pro-Molly because... I mean... of course she's gonna be weird and bitchy occasionally, SHE HAS TO PUT UP WITH BEEF AS HER LOVER. There is no way that someone perfectly likable would put up with his crap for that long.

Love is 80% trade-offs and... love with insane people is nearly 100% trade-offs.

This is how it works for real people, why not too for talking cats?

I am also Pro-Molly, as must be Dorothy Gambrell. I liked this strip. It's weird how so many male comic artists create all-male worlds or nearly so. Jeph Jacques and John Allison would be notable exceptions.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 18, 2008, 10:22:03 pm
Quote from: linnea
It's weird how so many male comic artists create all-male worlds or nearly so.

Remember, most creative-type guys are either gay or have been rejected by women so many times in their lives that they've kind of subconsciously rejected the female sphere from their lives except for that one woman who happened to settle for them, who is represented in the token female lead.

One could argue that we can't blame the artists but, rather, the girls who "loved them like brothers" in high school. Yes, that will do nicely.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: theinevitable on January 18, 2008, 10:25:46 pm
on the other hand, some men include women and basically write them as Men with Boobies.

Or, you know, have them, and their whole character is "i want to get it on with this guy, but cannot. I make sarcastic mean jokes"
or
"I am so sexual, check out how into sex I am. also, coffee." (http://www.questionablecontent.net/)
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: linnea on January 18, 2008, 10:34:00 pm
on the other hand, some men include women and basically write them as Men with Boobies.

Or, you know, have them, and their whole character is "i want to get it on with this guy, but cannot. I make sarcastic mean jokes"
or
"I am so sexual, check out how into sex I am. also, coffee." (http://www.questionablecontent.net/)

You demoted me by a Tiny Can of Dr. Pepper because I mentioned Jeph Jacques?
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: AugustWest on January 18, 2008, 10:51:23 pm
I am OK with Molly as a character, but I do think the Cat and Girl lady has a point.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: theinevitable on January 18, 2008, 11:57:43 pm
no, I did not take a can away from anyone.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: V-Adore on January 19, 2008, 02:19:30 am
I like Molly a lot as a character, but it is hard to argue she's an independent character -- indeed, has Achewood ever had a female character who wasn't defined in terms of their relationship with a member of the male cast? The only female Achewood characters I can even think of at all are Molly/Tina/Ultra Peanut (all defined by romantic relationships, although in Philippe's case it's more ambiguous) and people's female relatives (Ray's mom, Gramma K, Philippe's mom...).
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: oball on January 19, 2008, 04:45:32 am
It's weird how so many male comic artists create all-male worlds or nearly so. Jeph Jacques and John Allison would be notable exceptions.

Just quickly browsing through my list of webcomics, I'd add Something Positive, Diesel Sweeties, Dresden Codak and Gunnerkrigg Court to those two.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: colmore on January 19, 2008, 05:42:08 am
Achewood's a sausage fest, no doubt.  But to be fair, I think it's plenty fine for a comic to choose a homosocial group of friends as a subject matter.  People write what they know.  I bet Chris is one of those dudes who stopped having many female friends the day he graduated college.

Mmmmm.... cat sausage.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: Doc on January 19, 2008, 07:00:58 am
I am also Pro-Molly, as must be Dorothy Gambrell. I liked this strip. It's weird how so many male comic artists create all-male worlds or nearly so. Jeph Jacques and John Allison would be notable exceptions.

Is that really weird though? I think most people tell stories from their own experience and as good as some webcomics are, they are generally more 'here is a stupid little story I wanted to put on the nets' rather than 'here is the defining story of our time'.

This comic was pretty funny though. I think it's less about Molly and how Achewood is written and more about the fans, the digression from praising the strip to pointing out flaws to the defense of an argument so immediate that it's obviously been gone over many times rings pretty true for me.
Though if there's a strip that can outcompete achewood for akward pauses it's definitely cat and girl.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: melack on January 19, 2008, 07:38:00 pm
Cat and Girl is an excellent comic. In fact, it's one of the only three I still read regularly (the other two being Achewood and Penny Arcade).

I love this particular strip, though my favorite Cat and Girl strip still remains Girls Gone Wilde (http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=495).
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 19, 2008, 10:05:04 pm
My favourite Wilde rephrasing is:

"I may be lying in the gutter but I'm staring up your dress".
Title: Today's Cat and Girl is about inev
Post by: theinevitable on January 20, 2008, 08:30:05 pm
I am glad I am not the only one. (http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=230)

girl was starting to really get on my nerves until I read this one.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: Death Ray on January 21, 2008, 03:49:31 pm
Thanks for introducing me to Cat and Girl. Wheee! The Internets don't have enough cats!

Actually, this strip I found pretty funny. (http://www.catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=559) "A lot of one thing...less of two other things...and milk!" This is officially my new philosophy of life.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: Golfhaus on January 22, 2008, 12:02:36 am
Indeed - this strip might do quite nicely in the lurch between Achewood updates. I need some more webcomics to get into.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: theinevitable on January 22, 2008, 12:11:00 am
I dunno. Reading endless comics about this (http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=512) makes my stomach hurt. I got it after the first one, you know?

I guess that is my cue. Where I stop reading it.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: Doc on January 22, 2008, 02:05:02 am
Yeah cat and girl is definitely a sometimes food for me. It's not as bad as stuff like Natalie Dee but it's self aware indieness starts to grate after a while.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 22, 2008, 02:13:54 am
Oh man, yeah.

Self-aware indieness is... at the top of the food pyramid, for sure.

Use. Sparingly.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: Doc on January 22, 2008, 03:30:42 am
Don't get me wrong it's usually really good and avoids the pitfalls that those sorts of comics fall into but just that it is part of that genre and so that taints it a little in my mind.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: theinevitable on January 22, 2008, 03:56:54 am
yeah. I get enough "i hate everything in the world" from my friends. Lame.

the only self-aware indieness I want is cutie-pie love songs. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oljL1zbGkTY&feature=related)

oh, and, I guess when I do it. I am overly self-aware. Enough to know I don't need to tell you guys that.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: colmore on January 22, 2008, 02:36:04 pm
Cat and Girl isn't really very frequently "I hate the world."  No more so than I'd expect from any other astute commentator with an even keel.  It is generally thinky rather than funny though.  I like it better than Dinosaur Comics.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: wombat on January 22, 2008, 07:34:27 pm
I'm too out of touch to really get the indie references. So it's no more annoying than any comic that I sometimes don't understand.

This (http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=218) is the one I have hanging over my desk.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: Nabubrush on January 22, 2008, 08:18:05 pm
I'm too out of touch to really get the indie references. So it's no more annoying than any comic that I sometimes don't understand.

This (http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=218) is the one I have hanging over my desk.

For me that one did not suck as much.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: V-Adore on January 22, 2008, 08:22:35 pm
Off-topic, but: oh, man, I need to get me one of those "Liminal State" t-shirts. Liminality and I have a love-hate relationship, see. It's my delicious Kryptonite.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: oball on January 23, 2008, 03:59:00 am
I used to have a printout of Cat versus Problem Solving (http://catandgirl.com/view.php?loc=156) stuck above my desk, until I moved desks.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: melack on January 23, 2008, 04:14:17 am
I own the Deus Ex Machina hoodie. I have you beat!
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: oball on January 23, 2008, 04:30:35 am
For some odd reason I am loath to fork out in excess of 50 US dollars for a jumper.

If I lived in America I'd buy the Future Corpses of America T-shirt, though.  Somehow I don't think the joke would work as well in Australia.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: melack on January 23, 2008, 04:42:50 am
It's a great sweatshirt, except when you have to explain it to people who don't know what a deus ex machina is. I used to attempt an explanation, but I just say "it's an art joke."
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: oball on January 23, 2008, 05:30:31 am
Get three people to follow you around surreptitiously.  Then, when someone asks what a deus ex machina is, start explaining, really badly.  As you start spluttering, and looking confused, giving contradictory examples, one of your friends suddenly lights you up with a spotlight, while another plays Handel's Hallelujah Chorus over a boom box.  As you stand there, arms outstretched, glowing in the light, the third friend uses a long giraffeing pole to slowly lower down a dictionary which is open to the page with the definition of deus ex machina on it.
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: melack on January 23, 2008, 07:10:00 am
Or I could do that!
Title: Re: Today's Cat and Girl is about Achewood
Post by: ryanpeq on January 30, 2008, 06:43:04 am
For some odd reason I am loath to fork out in excess of 50 US dollars for a jumper.

If I lived in America I'd buy the Future Corpses of America T-shirt, though.  Somehow I don't think the joke would work as well in Australia.
There was a "future corpses of canada" version a while back that I snapped up.  The America one is a nicer design, though.