The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: iron_felix on January 21, 2008, 11:26:28 am

Title: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: iron_felix on January 21, 2008, 11:26:28 am
Hm... I don't know about this one. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01212008)  This could be the start of a really entertaining story arc, but I've got a nagging suspicion that Onstad just got pissed off at a guy outside the supermarket, and this is all we're gonna get before Mayor C recovers.  I'm diggin' the boom mikes, though.  Have we seen those before?
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: chuanoplast on January 21, 2008, 01:39:53 pm
High pressure lemon juice would hurt like bats.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: mrdna1 on January 21, 2008, 02:22:02 pm
I'm hoping for a Raymo Smookels arc, myself.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 21, 2008, 02:32:44 pm
Headline on my RSS feed:  "There is a new Mayor"


noooooooooooooooo
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: wombat on January 21, 2008, 02:39:42 pm
It's OK, Carlos! There is room for more than one mayor!
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: pmcd9 on January 21, 2008, 02:55:21 pm
This could lead somewhere... or not. 
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: melack on January 21, 2008, 04:24:39 pm
Better politician: Mayor Smuckles or President Phillipe?
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: jay-ell on January 21, 2008, 05:04:07 pm
Headline on my RSS feed:  "There is a new Mayor"


noooooooooooooooo

That is the first thing I thought of, too -- that you had been deposed! 
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: robot_god on January 21, 2008, 05:18:01 pm
Legendary alt-text on this one.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: linnea on January 21, 2008, 06:06:15 pm
The golf course is where the real business is conducted. Another heart attack at Ray's club brings him an unexpected adventure.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: V-Adore on January 21, 2008, 06:27:20 pm
Love the Raymo Smookles shout-out.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: MagFlare on January 21, 2008, 06:58:33 pm
Ray's expression in the second panel is basically treasure. Bereft of visible eyes and mouth, he nevertheless manages to project an air of "well-meaning but not completely sincere guy who's entirely out of his league and looking for an escape route." That's a lot of nuance for an Adobe Illustrator drawing.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: CortJstr on January 21, 2008, 07:55:57 pm
It never clicked that Mayor C was an actual mayor. I thought it was just a music industry nickname.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 21, 2008, 10:25:06 pm
Yeah, anything to combat those fuckers in front of the grocery stores. Anything.

I am actually more-or-less fine with the homeless bugging me in public places. They are homeless, that is kinda their last resort. I'm sympathetic.

But if I'm just trying to buy coffee and milk and I gotta hip-check five assholes pimpin' for and against Proposition RDRR - The Stand-Up Comic Pirate Admendment... fuck. Fuck. These people have jobs and homes and no excuse for being dicks to me other than the fact that they really really wanna feel concerned or... don't want Native Americans to get a little slice of the pie back in casinos because they're fuckin' racist or what have you.

We invented talk radio and the internet for you people, just so you could talk about these things all you wanted. Let me buy my fuckin' milk.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 21, 2008, 10:27:42 pm
You drink milk?  You murderer!

Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: colmore on January 21, 2008, 10:55:57 pm
I'm just going to float a totally unsubstantiated bit of gossip here:

Chris Onstad is a Republican.

pass it on.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: Ruddy Ruddy on January 21, 2008, 10:59:21 pm
I sure hope nobody's mama sprays hot bloody fat on Ray.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: lprkn on January 21, 2008, 11:02:41 pm
I'm just going to float a totally unsubstantiated bit of gossip here:

Chris Onstad is a Republican.

pass it on.

Well, if crotchety=republican, then I'm totally with ya on that one.

I sure hope nobody's mama sprays hot bloody fat on Ray.

Um, yeah. That would suck now, wouldn't it. (Am I missing something here?)
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: V-Adore on January 21, 2008, 11:04:21 pm
Um, yeah. That would suck now, wouldn't it. (Am I missing something here?)

Yes. Yes you are. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=05202004)
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: Doc on January 21, 2008, 11:05:27 pm
Am I the only one who always assumed that Mayor C  = Chris as in Onstad?
My mind is bloooooown.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: lprkn on January 21, 2008, 11:12:52 pm
Ahh, ok. I really need to go through some of the older stuff again, it's been awhile. Apologies to Ruddy.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: Ruddy Ruddy on January 21, 2008, 11:28:45 pm
For a minute, I thought Ray might have to turn Cunty the sardine's pond into an apartment for oblivious posters.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: Golfhaus on January 22, 2008, 12:10:58 am
We will watch this strip's career with great interest. It could be the start of something grand, or just another gee-shucks-Ray-was-born-with-the-Midas-touch kind of thing that dies a slow death.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: colmore on January 22, 2008, 02:31:05 pm
I, for one, have yet to tire of Ray's Midas Touch.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: Enkidu on January 22, 2008, 10:39:17 pm
I sure hope nobody's mama sprays hot bloody fat on Ray.
Canned.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: CortJstr on January 23, 2008, 06:32:58 pm
I'm just going to float a totally unsubstantiated bit of gossip here:

Chris Onstad is a Republican.

pass it on.

Could be. Although people seem to think that Teodor is the most likely Onstad avatar and he was clearly pushing Philippe's campaign into more liberal territory.
Title: Re: January 21, 2008 - Acting Mayor Smuckles
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 23, 2008, 06:42:13 pm
I'd reckon, only from comic-strip and blog inference, that Onstad is like a lot of artistic and computer technology-y types... very liberal in theory but significantly more moderate in practice.

I don't think a deeply-conservative guy could nail what is so annoying about Pat's extreme-lefty fascism without being a dude who is basically a lefty but is schooled in the ways that being too extreme about it don't work in practice.

You sort of have to be a member of a group to understand the differenciation within a group that perfectly.

Many of my more conservative friends would quickly sketch out the picture of "The Comedy Liberal Stereotype" as a wishy-washy spacey-wacey bleeding heart who doesn't want to offend a fly, let alone harm one.

I think you have to be of the tribe to understand the supreme stodginess of the exaggerated Naderite such as Pat.