The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Bobby Isosceles on January 24, 2008, 03:44:18 pm

Title: Saint Peter
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 24, 2008, 03:44:18 pm
(http://www.bobbyisosceles.com/images/jesus.jpg)
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: jaydub on January 24, 2008, 03:53:09 pm
Well, that's an unfortunate design.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 24, 2008, 05:10:39 pm
The only way that could be improved is if he was holding a pizza box, or perhaps a popcorn tub.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: pmcd9 on January 24, 2008, 07:18:13 pm
No way that was unintentional.  These are probably sold as some Hot Topicesque hipster store.

Funny as hell anyway.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: linnea on January 25, 2008, 12:29:31 am
No way that was unintentional.  These are probably sold as some Hot Topicesque hipster store.

Funny as hell anyway.

QFT. That is a pretty crazy design. Heh.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: Doc on January 25, 2008, 12:54:08 am
Hencho en mexico? I've never ceased to be amazed at how awesome (yet tacky) south america can make religion look.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: linnea on January 25, 2008, 01:27:28 am
Hencho Hecho en mexico? I've never ceased to be amazed at how awesome (yet tacky) south america can make religion look.

Fixed that for you.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: Doc on January 25, 2008, 02:05:47 am
I shall pray to St. Peter for greater multi-lingual acuity.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: jay-ell on January 28, 2008, 11:51:22 pm
Better pray for geographical acuity, too.  Mexico is part of North America. 

But we'll forgive you, being as you are pretty much as far from North America as one can physically be. 
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: jaydub on January 28, 2008, 11:55:44 pm
Better pray for geographical acuity, too.  Mexico is part of North America. 
Think NAFTA
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 28, 2008, 11:57:14 pm
The largest gathering of people ever was when the pope came to Mexico City. 

This is some of the useless knowledge I got from my history degree.  (Did you know Red Foxx and Malcolm X had the same nickname when they were doing drugs in NYC?!)
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: Doc on January 29, 2008, 12:55:42 am
Better pray for geographical acuity, too.  Mexico is part of North America. 

But we'll forgive you, being as you are pretty much as far from North America as one can physically be. 
Damnit. Now the secret is out: Us non-americans can be clueless about geography too. They're going to have my head for letting that one out of the bag.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: jay-ell on January 29, 2008, 01:02:48 am
Eh, you'd be surprised how many Americans would make the same mistake.  I think people sometimes use "South American" as a catchall when they mean "Spanish-speaking."  Which is in turn often used as a euphemism for "illegal immigrant."  (I'm not sayin' it's right, I'm just sayin' it's true.) 

When Pedro went to Argentina to visit his mother's family, they laughed at him for referring to himself as "American."  "We are *all* American," they said.  "You are from the United States!" 

Ah, cross-cultural semantics.  Gotta love 'em. 
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: jaydub on January 29, 2008, 01:26:37 am
When Pedro went to Argentina to visit his mother's family, they laughed at him for referring to himself as "American."  "We are *all* American," they said.  "You are from the United States!"
Or was it "Usted es de los Estados Unidos!" ?  It always weirds me out to see our country's name abbreviated "E.U."*  We've got nothing to do with those crazy New World Order europeans!
Also, what is their collective word for us?  "Estados Unidosanos" doesn't really roll of the tongue.  I've heard "Norteamericanos", which we've already established isn't correct.  Mostly, I hear "gringos".


* I actually see it pretty often, what with California getting stuff imported from Mexico.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: CortJstr on January 29, 2008, 01:39:10 am
In high school spanish they insisted that it's E.E.U.U. which ever made sense to me. Maybe it was because they also insisted on teaching us a dialect that's only spoken like 7 time zones away.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 29, 2008, 01:42:27 am
My biggest pet peeve is news stories or other serious writing using America or Americans to describe the U.S.  I use it in speech but would never use it for something serious.  It isn't right.  America is a big place.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: Doc on January 29, 2008, 02:20:39 am
So now I'm curious: Would you define Mexico as part of 'Latin America' or is it culturally distinct enough not to be that either?
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: Nabubrush on January 29, 2008, 03:07:30 am
Eh, you'd be surprised how many Americans would make the same mistake.  I think people sometimes use "South American" as a catchall when they mean "Spanish-speaking."  Which is in turn often used as a euphemism for "illegal immigrant."  (I'm not sayin' it's right, I'm just sayin' it's true.) 

When Pedro went to Argentina to visit his mother's family, they laughed at him for referring to himself as "American."  "We are *all* American," they said.  "You are from the United States!" 

Ah, cross-cultural semantics.  Gotta love 'em. 

Should we talk about how lots of people wonder what kind of money is used in Alaska, or what language we speak?
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: jaydub on January 29, 2008, 04:03:59 am
So now I'm curious: Would you define Mexico as part of 'Latin America' or is it culturally distinct enough not to be that either?
Wasn't it Mexico that Dan Quayle was infamously referring to when he spoke of his regret about not learning Latin?
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: pmcd9 on January 29, 2008, 05:04:32 am

When Pedro went to Argentina to visit his mother's family, they laughed at him for referring to himself as "American."  "We are *all* American," they said.  "You are from the United States!" 


I've gotten that before and I always call bullshit.  I don't think anyone considers themselves a citizen of a continent.  Your husbands "American" family Are Argentineans, not Americans.  We, on the other hand are Americans from America the country, not the continent.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 29, 2008, 05:09:11 am
Except for we are from the United States of the American continent.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: V-Adore on January 29, 2008, 05:10:03 am
Should we talk about how lots of people wonder what kind of money is used in Alaska, or what language we speak?

Five words: "What color was your igloo?"
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: Nabubrush on January 29, 2008, 05:22:32 am
Five words: "What color was your igloo?"

It was yellow. I don't want to get into detail.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: theinevitable on January 29, 2008, 05:29:05 am
kids used to ask my aunt if they ate Mexican food in Chile.


also, my grandma thought my mom was going to be Black, because the only Hispanic people in Boston at that point, apparently, were black Puerto Ricans.
Title: Re: Saint Peter
Post by: wombat on January 29, 2008, 02:55:41 pm
Should we talk about how lots of people wonder what kind of money is used in Alaska, or what language we speak?

Hey, the latter is not a totally stupid question. (http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/capress/080123/world/obit_last_eyak_1)