The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on January 27, 2008, 04:59:41 am

Title: Major Musical Dilemma
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 27, 2008, 04:59:41 am
I am trying to locate a piece of music. Those of  you who have ever worked in a music or bookstore will appreciate this because I don't know the name and I am only fairly sure of the artist. Worse, I can't even make a poor attempt at humming a fragment of the song to you.

I am fairly sure it is Paul McCartney. It has a very persistent piano riff that descends in thirds, duh-duh, duh-duh, duh-duuh-d-duh duh. I can not recall a single lyric.

See, doesn't that help?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.



Title: Re: Major Musical Dilemma
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 27, 2008, 05:11:45 am
I am trying to locate a piece of music. Those of  you who have ever worked in a music or bookstore will appreciate this because I don't know the name and I am only fairly sure of the artist. Worse, I can't even make a poor attempt at humming a fragment of the song to you.

I am fairly sure it is Paul McCartney. It has a very persistent piano riff that descends in thirds, duh-duh, duh-duh, duh-duuh-d-duh duh. I can not recall a single lyric.

See, doesn't that help?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.





I have nearly every Paul McCartney album, but unfortunately, my knowledge of musical terms is so limited that "descending in thirds" doesn't really help me at all.  So all I've got to go on is Paul McCartney, piano, and the relative durations of the notes you've written there. Perhaps if I start saying Paul McCartney songs that could fit that until we find the right one? Is it "Maybe I'm Amazed"? Oh, actually, that riff I think fits "Old Siam, Sir" really well. See if it's not that one.
Title: Re: Major Musical Dilemma
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 27, 2008, 05:32:19 am
I know "Maybe I'm amazed"...

I'll check into the other suggestion...

Definitely not it. That seems more synthizer than piano.  I was  actually at one of the headphone kiosks at Borders for a solid hour listening to scraps of songs. No luck. This particular song is mostly piano,  bass and vocals. The Bass line during that piano riff almost sounds like a metronome, two notes, buh-BUH buh-Bah buh-BUH
Title: Re: Major Musical Dilemma
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 27, 2008, 05:59:43 am
I know "Maybe I'm amazed"...

I'll check into the other suggestion...

Definitely not it. That seems more synthizer than piano.  I was  actually at one of the headphone kiosks at Borders for a solid hour listening to scraps of songs. No luck. This particular song is mostly piano,  bass and vocals. The Bass line during that piano riff almost sounds like a metronome, two notes, buh-BUH buh-Bah buh-BUH

All right, my next guess is Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five, from Band on the Run.
Title: Re: Major Musical Dilemma
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 27, 2008, 06:08:14 am
You are a genius! I realize now from looking at the YouTube video that the bass line I was referring is actually the left hand...

I love this song for some reason.

Thanks!

The full band version is on Band on the Run - the YouTube video is just Sir Paul and a piano - I think this song could be a very interesting game of Phase on my i-Pod.



Title: Re: Major Musical Dilemma
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on January 27, 2008, 06:11:00 am
You are a genius! I realize now from looking at the YouTube video that the bass line I was referring is actually the left hand...

I love this song for some reason.



Glad to be of service!  Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five is actually one of my favourite McCartney songs.

Also, everyone needs to listen to Temporary Secretary if they haven't yet.
Title: Re: Major Musical Dilemma
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 27, 2008, 06:15:35 am
Frighteningly enough, I had bought my wife the 25th Anniversary 2-disc set of Band on the Run which has TWO versions of Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five and I STILL couldn't place the song.

Title: Re: Major Musical Dilemma
Post by: V-Adore on January 27, 2008, 08:30:29 am
Wait a second...

Am I correct in that we just had one of those "please magically identified this song via interweb telepathy" threads, except the song was actually identified? On the second guess post?

We really are the best message board on the Internet.
Title: Re: Major Musical Dilemma
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2008, 06:37:47 pm
It's Nineteen Hundred and Eighty Five.  Damn it, I'm late.
Title: Re: Major Musical Dilemma
Post by: Doc on January 27, 2008, 11:11:53 pm
Wow, good work there. That was awesome.
Title: Re: Major Musical Dilemma
Post by: Nabubrush on January 28, 2008, 02:42:22 pm
I got nothing, but congrats on 400o posts, Dawg.
Title: Re: Major Musical Dilemma
Post by: jay-ell on January 28, 2008, 05:33:52 pm
We really are the best message board on the Internet.

Q  F  muthafuggin T. 

Tiny Cans be a-flowin'!