The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: jay-ell on October 29, 2003, 01:42:54 pm

Title: Baby Names
Post by: jay-ell on October 29, 2003, 01:42:54 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Lord forgive me if I ever have a daughter because I swear I will name her after my great grandmother Amazon Caldonia.  I love that name, it's so cool, but certain adolescent hell for the poor child stuck with it.


I fully intend to name my daughters Hero Elizabeth, Jamilyn Anka, and Catherine Grace.  (OK, so the last one isn't so wierd.)  My boy names are Pearce, Robert Eugene (Red), and Justin Elijah (Jed).  I only hope that little Robbie inherits his great-grandmothers' red hair.  And, for the record, I only hope to use four of the six names, but I figure having three of each gender is pretty safe.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: V-Adore on October 29, 2003, 04:26:58 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
I fully intend to name my daughters Hero Elizabeth, Jamilyn Anka, and Catherine Grace.  (OK, so the last one isn't so wierd.)  My boy names are Pearce, Robert Eugene (Red), and Justin Elijah (Jed).  I only hope that little Robbie inherits his great-grandmothers' red hair.  And, for the record, I only hope to use four of the six names, but I figure having three of each gender is pretty safe.

If you have twin boys, will they be Red and Jed? Because I'd find that hard to pass up, but I am weak and all.

Personal favorite baby name that I might wuss out instead of using: Enrique. (It's actually a family name -- my dad's side of the family has some Hispanic blood -- but any son of mine will be so, so white that I'm not sure I could include Enrique in his name with a clean conscience.)
Title: Baby Names
Post by: jay-ell on October 29, 2003, 05:55:41 pm
I've considered some of the more creative family names on both sides of the family, including (but not limited to): Eugene, Stanley, Donald, Josef, Marysia, and Francis (on the Polish side); Ignacio, Siegfried, Graciela, and Perla (on the Argentine/German side); and Elton, Willis, Burle, and Uberto on the English/Irish/what the heck was great-grandma thinking side.  But Pedro and I decided to go with cruel and unusual names of our own devising.  We've already scrapped "Annabel Lee" and "Jackson Daniel" as just   too   cruel.  

As for twins, neither of us have them in the family so I haven't even thought about it.  If it came to that, I'd probably just call them "Him" and "Her."  

Even if they were both boys.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: CortJstr on October 29, 2003, 06:41:11 pm
What's so back about Jackson Daniel? Unless Stargate turns into a Trek-like obsession in a few years.

Besides, I've already met: Jim Beam, James Bond, Jimmy Dean, and James Dean.

Not to mention a Poindexter.

Okay, Jimmy/James are the same guy, but it works both ways.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: jay-ell on October 29, 2003, 06:53:36 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
What's so back about Jackson Daniel? Unless Stargate turns into a Trek-like obsession in a few years.


Jack Daniels.  I hadn't been aware of the Stargate connection, but it's oddly fitting since Pedro took me to see Stargate (the movie) on our first date in 1994.  Actually, they are family names, but the booze correlation just seemed like a horrible thing to saddle a kid with.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: jough on October 29, 2003, 07:10:28 pm
I've been thinking up baby names for years, too.

Girls:

Helvetica (Who could be "Helvy" for short)
Elizabeth ("Liz" as a nick name)
Desdemona (just "Mona" for short)
Janine
Lucinda ("Lucy")
Tahoma
Eurydice
Verdana (EDIT - was on my mental list, I just forgot to add it here)

Boys:

Jough Jr.
Alexandre (who we'd call "Lex" for short)
Thor
Hakon (one of the chosen race in Norse mythology)
Enrique (shortend - "Rick")
Jean-Pierre (who would be called "Johnnie")
Friedrich (who would go by "Freddie")
Title: Baby Names
Post by: jay-ell on October 29, 2003, 07:23:44 pm
My favorite part is that two of your girl names are fonts.  

How about "Arial?"  Or "Garamond?"  Also: Georgia, Lucida, Verdana, Trebuchet, Eras.  

The best part about Arial is that if she marries the right person, she could be Arial Black.

Also, I once got a massage from a woman named "Thyrudice."  She was hot.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: slink on October 29, 2003, 07:54:15 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"

The best part about Arial is that if she marries the right person, she could be Arial Black.

Also, I once got a massage from a woman named "Thyrudice."  She was hot.


Or Arial Narrow.
If she married a real eccentric she could even be Arial Italics.
Arial 14pt is a little less likely.

Thyrudice kind of sounds like some sort of disorder. Thyroids and all.

I've forgotten all the names I had come up with for my kids.
My ex wanted to name our kids Louradana Sky and Rain. Needless to say I wasn't planning kids with her!

Also - my life has just been a warning to people calling their kids stupid things - my parents saddled me with Grover Tormad!
Title: Baby Names
Post by: jough on October 29, 2003, 08:18:12 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
My favorite part is that two of your girl names are fonts.


Three, now.  I had "Verdana" on my mental list but forgot to add it.

I just happen to think that "Helvetica" is a really pretty name.  I've written three plays and there's a character named "Helvetica" in each of them.  Of course, all three plays had the same title, too.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: CortJstr on October 29, 2003, 08:28:01 pm
I dunno, a kid named Thor had best be able to defend himself.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: jay-ell on October 29, 2003, 08:43:05 pm
I remembered another one Pedro and I had talked about -- Jaelin.  It sounds so...Ren Faire.  

Clarification: Thyrudice (I'm not sure on the spelling) pronounced her name to rhyme with "Paradise."  Which is keen in and of itself.

Also: Jough, if you name your kid Thor you shoul make his middle name Hammerhand or something.  That would rock.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: V-Adore on October 29, 2003, 08:52:05 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Besides, I've already met: Jim Beam, James Bond, Jimmy Dean, and James Dean.

Not to mention a Poindexter.

I once knew a kid named Johnny Johnson. (He was apparently also a Junior, which means that his father must have wanted to pass the misery on down.)
Title: Baby Names
Post by: andalucia on October 29, 2003, 09:07:54 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

I once knew a kid named Johnny Johnson. (He was apparently also a Junior, which means that his father must have wanted to pass the misery on down.)


I'm friends with a Ben Benson... then there's sociologist Erik Erikson... It's a cruel world.  I'm not revealing my full real name here, but its pretty brutal.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: CortJstr on October 29, 2003, 09:17:56 pm
I work with Jimmy James.

I went to camp with a guy named Gerard Larkin III. He went by Chip.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: V-Adore on October 29, 2003, 09:38:33 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
there's sociologist Erik Erikson... It's a cruel world.

There's also, of course, the prominent professor of anthropology Lionel Tiger. What were his parents thinking?

(On the subject of "prominent academic figures with giggle-worthy names," a friend of mine in high school once had to cite an expert named Norbert Wiener in a paper. Admittedly, there are very few things you can do with the last name "Wiener," but "Norbert" was still dodgy. One wonders whether he was Nobby Wiener in elementary school.)

I'm still reluctant to pass along particularly odious family names after seeing what it did to my mother and her siblings, who came from a background where they were more or less required to receive as middle names the first names of their godparents, various aunts and uncles. This resulted in names like Clarence and Herbert reoccurring for yet another generation. I feel I should avoid this if possible.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: Mite on October 29, 2003, 10:10:12 pm
I'm always wanted to name a boy Ashoka. Not only is it the name of a pretty cool buddhist emperor, but you could call him Ash for short. Which is so awesome as to cause me physical pain.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: slink on October 29, 2003, 10:24:15 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I dunno, a kid named Thor had best be able to defend himself.


'Wrath of' no less...

(doh, forgot Jough's, thought you were referring to Tormad, which is Nordic for Wrath of Thor... fairly straight translation really, and looks cool in the Nordic alphabet)

I pretty much know now that I'd want to use an Asian name for my kid. But like the Enrique worries...
I guess if I marry a Japanese woman it'll be ok.

And as for Thyrudice, I have heard of it before now you mention how it's spelt, and it is a great name, when you don't pronounce it how it's spelt.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: AugustWest on October 29, 2003, 10:45:35 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I work with Jimmy James.

I went to camp with a guy named Gerard Larkin III. He went by Chip.


Do you work at a radio station, by any chance?
Title: Baby Names
Post by: CortJstr on October 29, 2003, 11:20:17 pm
::awesome NewsRadio reference high-five::

But no, this Jimmy James is kind of our building engineer. His twin (whose name I don't know) works with him.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: jough on October 29, 2003, 11:40:18 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
I'm always wanted to name a boy Ashoka. Not only is it the name of a pretty cool buddhist emperor, but you could call him Ash for short. Which is so awesome as to cause me physical pain.


That's so awesome I'm stealing it and adding it to my list.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: jough on October 29, 2003, 11:41:25 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Jimmy James is kind of our building engineer. His twin (whose name I don't know) works with him.


Jesse?
Title: Baby Names
Post by: andalucia on October 30, 2003, 12:46:17 am
Helvetica is the best name ever.  To be a real nerd, you'd have to name twins Helvetica and Arial, and, like, fight 'em or something.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: AugustWest on October 30, 2003, 02:59:37 am
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Jimmy James is kind of our building engineer. His twin (whose name I don't know) works with him.


Jesse?


How about James Jimmy?

My parents have a friend named Dick Peters.  And there's an attorney here in town named Richard Head.  I went to law school with his brother, Randy, who was absolutely pathological.

I worked with a guy in college named Arvis Dunbar -- I always liked that name, thought it evoked a Cletus the Slack-jawed Yokel type of image.  In fact, Arvis was a 6'6" 300 lb black guy from East St Louis.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: andalucia on October 30, 2003, 09:49:59 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

My parents have a friend named Dick Peters.  And there's an attorney here in town named Richard Head.  I went to law school with his brother, Randy, who was absolutely pathological.
.


Not to endore the turn this thread is taking, but there's a local fellow named Harry Dick.   Very involved in the community, even has a road named after him, in fact.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: jay-ell on October 31, 2003, 05:43:17 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I worked with a guy in college named Arvis Dunbar -- I always liked that name, thought it evoked a Cletus the Slack-jawed Yokel type of image.  In fact, Arvis was a 6'6" 300 lb black guy from East St Louis.


I worked with a 300 lb black guy from the mountains of North Carolina named "Prince Romeo" something-or-other.  He was a total player.  

Before he was married, my brother swore he was going to have triplet boys and name them Hosea, Hose-b and Hose-c.  His daughter's name was to be Tatiyana Gucci Kikolski.  (Yes, my maiden name was Kikolski.)  Also high on the list: Boy George Michael Jackson Brown.  

His actual kids are named Austin and Jordan.  My sister-in-law named them.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 31, 2003, 06:48:19 pm
Back in my previous life, when I worked in the VD clinic in Cleveland, I used to make note of the various names I ran across.

My favorite has to be the little one-year old baby named "Zenoblion Durrah".

Runner-up is the girl really truly named (Pronunciation first) Le-MAHN-ge-loh.


She spelled it Lemonjello.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: Mite on October 31, 2003, 09:56:13 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Runner-up is the girl really truly named (Pronunciation first) Le-MAHN-ge-loh.


She spelled it Lemonjello.

I've heard this one so often I thought it was just an urban legend. Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.htm) even has a page on it.

At my school we've got some doozies. C'Arica (her sister is Erica, pronounced the same but without the Cee in front), DeAngelo and DeAnthony (twins), Shakira and Shakora (also twins), Sha'Courtney, and about a thousand Roman and Greek sounding Demetriuses and Quintaviouses.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 01, 2003, 12:28:40 am
Quote from: "Mite"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Runner-up is the girl really truly named (Pronunciation first) Le-MAHN-ge-loh.


She spelled it Lemonjello.

I've heard this one so often I thought it was just an urban legend. Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.htm) even has a page on it.

At my school we've got some doozies. C'Arica (her sister is Erica, pronounced the same but without the Cee in front), DeAngelo and DeAnthony (twins), Shakira and Shakora (also twins), Sha'Courtney, and about a thousand Roman and Greek sounding Demetriuses and Quintaviouses.


She registed in the clinic as Lemonjello. But then again, we had about 250 Walter Paytons in the gonorrhea registry in Chicago.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: Mite on November 01, 2003, 01:10:06 am
Awesome. Now I can retell that story and actually believe myself.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 01, 2003, 03:40:32 am
Quote from: "Mite"
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Runner-up is the girl really truly named (Pronunciation first) Le-MAHN-ge-loh.


She spelled it Lemonjello.

I've heard this one so often I thought it was just an urban legend. Snopes (http://www.snopes.com/racial/language/names.htm) even has a page on it.

At my school we've got some doozies. C'Arica (her sister is Erica, pronounced the same but without the Cee in front), DeAngelo and DeAnthony (twins), Shakira and Shakora (also twins), Sha'Courtney, and about a thousand Roman and Greek sounding Demetriuses and Quintaviouses.


Any Hantaviruses? Oh, and I forgot to mention there was also a Latrina and, no shit, really and truly, a Turdell.

Cross my heart and hope never to work in a VD clinic again.
Title: Baby Names
Post by: V-Adore on November 01, 2003, 05:45:39 pm
Is it wrong that I think Quintavious is an awesome name?
Title: Baby Names
Post by: slink on November 01, 2003, 05:48:20 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Is it wrong that I think Quintavious is an awesome name?


It depends if you're into RPGs or not!
Title: Baby Names
Post by: CortJstr on November 02, 2003, 08:06:19 pm
I almost got in trouble with Demitrius. I was in Midsummer in HS and that was my character, so I was used to answering to the name. Except one day in the hallway I learned there was a large, unpleasant guy one class below me who was actually named Demitrius.