The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Death Ray on January 28, 2008, 08:04:03 pm
-
Despite losing my gloves at the theater where I saw Juno, I enjoyed the movie, though I hardly consider it Oscar worthy. The dialogue is too self-conciously cute, the music too forcibly indy (also, Juno comes late to the dance in using the Velvet Underground's "I'm Sticking with You" in the soundtrack, which was used earlier this season in The Savages).
Also,..."home skillet?" Sorry, not buying it.
Who here wants a piece of me?
-
...people I know have definitely called me Home Skillet in the past at least once, although maybe I am imagining it.
I don't know. Self-consciously cute is like... that is my Thing. As to the music... well, if I made a movie like that, maybe my soundtrack would be like that, because sometimes that is the music I like.
-
I've heard it's like watching a Mamet play or Gilmore Girls. It takes a while to get past the completely fake sounding dialog but you get used to it.
-
Im not running out to buy that soundtrack, but it fit the movie pretty well.
The characters are pretty unbelievable, but I enjoyed the movie nonetheless.
-
I should note, also, that I am incapable of judging whether characters speak or behave in realistic ways. Unless they do something egregiously ridiculous, I come out thinking the dialogue was really well done.
...also I have a tendency to speak in really self-consciously awkward ways, so I obviously have a lot of problems with judging this movie.
-
I have no opinion on the movie based in fact.
That said, I am for anything with the Big Scary Nazi (http://www.hbo.com/oz/cast/character_schillinger.shtml)/Yellow M&M (http://us.mms.com/us/about/characters/yellow/) in it.
-
I haven't seen the film. I read a rather indepth interview with the writer. The movie looks like crap, however. I won't be wasting my time seeing it.
-
Where's movie guy? Paging LFM!
-
LFM was off learning how to pick up blood and urine samples and then get 'em to the right people.
Juno... uh, yeah. Not seein' it. Looks like twee fuckin' cutesy shit to me.
"Oh, she's knocked up at 15 but she's SMART AND SASSY and completely meta-aware and talks like a 25-year-old male literature grad student! It'll be like Ghost World but life-affirming and if Christina Ricci was young and not aneorexic!"
And the music... oh, Lord... it is like someone asked an A&R man's college freshman daughter to rip off the Rushmore soundtrack "except current and cheaper!"
Blah to Juno! Blah to everything that ain't such as Dune or Brazil or Being There... or ain't such as UHF. Blah to the self-consciously over-constructedly "middle-brow"! Blah to "accessably quirky"! Blah to "the paint-by-number middlebrow!"
Highbrow or lowbrow. Adam Sandler, over there. David Lynch, Terry Gilliam, Stanley Kubrick over here. Pick one and do it right. Blah to Juno and all the slickly-indiesque pictures like it. Don't mess with Mr. In-Between. Fuck Mr. In-Between, completely.
Those whose faith is lukewarm are the ones who The Great Spirit hates the most.
I am feeling political about this today, definitely. Do highbrow or lowbrow right and I am happy.
Try to be all things to all people and you are basically an asshole.
-
I went to see Rushmore at the midnight movie last Saturday night and I lost the memory card out of my camera when I took my coat off. The next afternoon I was back at the theater looking for it. It was gone. but when I arrived Juno was just finishing. I saw the last minute or so of it and I sat through the credits. I really enjoyed that last minute. The dog with the bad legs really won my heart. And I liked the Velvet Underground in the credits. Wasn't that song used in some kind of advertisement back many years ago? I don't remember what they were selling. I didn't know it was a Velvet Underground song. I was sitting in the theater remembering that this song was used in an advertisement, but thinking, that voice, that voice, I know that voice. Just as it came to me the music credits rolled.
I'm not even sure if I want to see the rest of the movie, it can't possibly top the last minute and credits.
-
Highbrow or lowbrow. Adam Sandler, over there. David Lynch, Terry Gilliam, Stanley Kubrick over here. Pick one and do it right. Blah to Juno and all the slickly-indiesque pictures like it. Don't mess with Mr. In-Between. Fuck Mr. In-Between, completely.
Those whose faith is lukewarm are the ones who The Great Spirit hates the most.
I am feeling political about this today, definitely. Do highbrow or lowbrow right and I am happy.
Try to be all things to all people and you are basically an asshole.
Damn, sometimes you can just say it right.
-
Don't mess with Mr. In-Between. Fuck Mr. In-Between, completely.
So, speaking of Mr In_Between, I found a mix disc one of you all sent me and it has a bunch of very odd stuff on it. Mark Knopfler's "What it is" is awesome. How it got on the same disk with Burl Ives "Call Me Mr. In Between" is what I want to know. Anyone remember sending that to me?
-
Damn dude, really? I am a big fan of thinking people ain't got to go extremes on this shit. David Lynch is rad, and Adam Sandler is... popular, and stuff in between is rad too. Maybe some people are a little weird, but don't want to completely freak people out like David Lynch? I personally think there is only so much David Lynch the world can take.
Why do we have to choose between Dane Cook and Andy Kaufman?
-
Damn dude, really? I am a big fan of thinking people ain't got to go extremes on this shit. David Lynch is rad, and Adam Sandler is... popular, and stuff in between is rad too. Maybe some people are a little weird, but don't want to completely freak people out like David Lynch? I personally think there is only so much David Lynch the world can take.
Inland Empire put me off him, which is awful sad.
-
Why do we have to choose between Dane Cook and Andy Kaufman?
No reason at all. The Christ Chex bit is funny. The Mighty penis bit is funny.
-
Wait, Dane Cook was a choice?
No, no, Dane Cook is not a choice. Dane Cook is not "funny" in any way, he just kind of yells and gesticulates like an ape but succeeds because he pays ridiculous lipservice to "his fans" and lets people live their dreams of undeserved success through him. Dude is the Ponzi scheme of comedy.
There is no Dane Cook, only Zuul.
Two movies I like very much are "Major League" and "Eraserhead". Either film would've been ruined by trying to be in any way like the other. Gills don't work well on a bird, either. Clarity of vision.
Make a crowd pleaser and do it right or make an artistic statement and do it right.
Don't make a formula crowd-pleaser life-affirmer and then stud it with little cloves of manufactured screwball intellectualism like one of those annoying Christmas potpourri oranges. It doesn't work like that.
You can't fight evil with a macaroni duck. Come from a place of pure vision and do it right or come from a place of commerce and do it right. "Buffalo 66" exists as the shining example of what happens when a male-model douche tries to self-consciously make a "quirky Sundace picture".
You make the worst movie in the history of cinema, you know.
Blah.
-
no, dude, for real. Dane Cook is basically loved by everyone, for some reason. I would say that he is doing something right in terms of making money. And quite frankly, it seems like Juno has made a pretty good amount of money by getting tons of people to go see it who wouldn't go see "Big Daddy" or whatever the fuck.
I just don't see how failing to conform to your ideas of Purity of Vision means that someone isn't bringing their vision to their work. Some people think that a good movie should be mildly quirky, and if they can use that to make money, awesome for them. I like the Beatles, and I like the Velvet Underground, and I like Sonic Youth, and I like "The Lip Gloss Song." Pop, fucked up noise music, pop music with fucked up noise. People who need things to be all one way or all the other tick me off, especially when there's good shit in between.
-
I didn't like the first ten or fifteen minutes of Juno -- where the dialogue is the snappiest and most contrived -- but I loved the rest of it, once the characters started to take form. It's not a perfect movie, and I don't think it's really Oscar-Material (but if fuck*ng Crash is, what the hell isn't?); It's just a funny, enjoyable film with believable characters who sometimes say unbelievable things. I'm willing to forgive that. This is, after all, fiction.
And I don't think the music was "forced" at all. I remember listening to the Moldy Peaches (the band that makes up the bulk of the soundtrack) in the backseat of my friend's car in high school seven years ago. This is actual music that a few actual high school kids might actually listen to. Yeah, I am (and was) a bit of an indie snob, but there is genuine, human music found in this movie.
I'm sorry that a couple of you feel like this movie is trying dangerously hard to be something. I just found it to be an quality film that didn't end up killing me. And that's it.
But at least we can all agree that Dane Cook fuck*ng sucks.
-
no, dude, for real. Dane Cook is basically loved by everyone, for some reason.
He's loved by people like me for making us laugh so hard milk comes out our nose. The first time I heard his bit about the people who don't talk loud enough at the drive-thru window, I almost passed out because I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe. I didn't watch that movie he did with Jessica Simpson, because I didn't want to see that much of her unless she was naked and quiet. But Mrs. Haus showed me "Waiting..." recently, and I fell in love with him all over again.
That being said, the "cool" thing is to dig on Dane Cook. The "cooler" thing is to hate him.
-
He was not so great in Dan In Real Life.
-
golfhaus-- I shit you not, right as I read that post, my roommates turned on the TV and popped in a DVD of him.
-
My niece is watching a bleeped-out tv special of his at the moment.
-
Just as I read that he turned up at my door and started making witty commentary about my everyday life.
-
actually, I just read on CNN that the reason it went from almost 70 degrees at 3 PM to being 18 degrees now is that Dane Cook thought it would be fuck*ng hilarious.
he is in an arena yelling about how fuck*ng hilarious it is, right now.
also, he made the top button of my coat pop off while I was trying to button it to keep out the hardest wind I think I've felt in my life.
-
Shit man, that is the same wind I had this afternoon. It will be gone soon.
Also, you want wind, move to Oklahoma.
-
I...
I do not want wind at all. I want wind in the summer, when it is cool and pleasing. Not now.
-
Yeah, I know. I was challenging your manhood. You can't handle wind how are you going to handle a lady?
-
probably by realizing that a lady is not anything like wind, in that she is sometimes soft and pleasing. Also, you can talk to a lady or buy her dinner.
The wind just makes your face and hands real cold.
sometimes a lady makes you sad, but, wind just keeps hating on you no matter how many times you try to give it flowers.
ok, so, I guess ladies and wind have that one thing in common. I'll give you that one.
-
But at least we can all agree that Dane Cook fuck*ng sucks.
That guy is the world's biggest douche. He has no routine or jokes. I rented a DVD of his once and sorely regretted it. Sorry to all the dudes who like Dane. I am a huge fan of standup comedy, so give me Bill Hicks or Margaret Cho any day of the week.
-
Yeah, I know. I was challenging your manhood. You can't handle wind how are you going to handle a lady?
This is great wisdom.
Wind has not made me cry. Ladies have made me cry.
-
in case you guys want to make fun of me more... wind does make me cry. I got this thing from my dad where cold air/wind makes my eyes tear up something fierce. So walking around, I basically look like I'm crying all the time. It's pretty awesome.
(come on, that is prime stuff!)
-
in case you guys want to make fun of me more... wind does make me cry. I got this thing from my dad where cold air/wind makes my eyes tear up something fierce. So walking around, I basically look like I'm crying all the time. It's pretty awesome.
(come on, that is prime stuff!)
Dude, a lot of people's eyes water when air, especially cold air, is blowing into them.
Either that or we're both limp-wristed nancy-boys.
-
no, but, mine do it like, permanently.
to the degree that my friends ask if I am crying.
and strangers give me sad looks because they think I am crying.
-
no, but, mine do it like, permanently.
to the degree that my friends ask if I am crying.
and strangers give me sad looks because they think I am crying.
Oh. Yes. That is unusual.
-
I'm trying to make some link between the wind blowing and Inev going a-bloo a-bloo a-bloo but it's just not coming.
-
maybe something about how it makes me think about how long it has been since I have been blown.
-
I have no opinion on the movie based in fact.
That said, I am for anything with the Big Scary Nazi (http://www.hbo.com/oz/cast/character_schillinger.shtml)/Yellow M&M (http://us.mms.com/us/about/characters/yellow/) in it.
Really? J.K. Simmons is the Yellow M&M? Never knew! And I'm amazed to find out that Yellow is a nazi! Of course, it should really come as no surprise. Red is Big Brother, after all.
(http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/MEDIA/redm.jpg)
-
Yellow is the enabling toady to red.
-
I don't have time to read this thread, but Juno was charming and funny, so fuck you and your entire family if you didn't like it.
Actually, I could not possibly care less if other people don't like it. Chacun a son gout.
Dane Cook, however - I have no respect for anyone who thinks that he is funny. He's not good enough to hold Patton Oswalt's balls in his mouth*.
* You know, to keep them warm.
-
Juno=middling. LFM put it just right, so I ain't got anything to add.
Dane Cook: What the hell? He is worse than Carrot top, but also there is no fun in mocking Dane Cook, no relief from how unfunny he is in mocking him. It's like shooting a gun at pudding.