The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: linnea on January 30, 2008, 04:10:04 am

Title: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: linnea on January 30, 2008, 04:10:04 am
I fuck*ng love this game.

We named our band "Sex Funeral" at my behest. We sell shots of Scope at our gigs. I am getting pretty good! I noticed that other TOUAMBie denizens are also into the band. Post about Rock Band all up ins!
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2008, 04:14:31 am
I play bass and guitar on this game. Sometimes I can play them on Hard, but usually on Medium. I have to play with a pick, and I feel like this somehow makes me a douchebag, but otherwise I can never get the timing right. My roommates all play on Expert. I am starting to think maybe I should sing, though. Do you people ever sing while playing another instrument? I feel like I could definitely do this for, say, all the Nirvana songs at the very least.

My guitarist/bassist is a woman with the "pixie" haircut, in courderoys and the black t-shirt you start out with. I am saving up to buy her my guitar (the Fender Jaguar).
Sorry for not having a more surprising choice.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: linnea on January 30, 2008, 04:17:32 am
I made a character that looks as much like me as possible. I'll see if I can get some screenshots this weekend. She has long dark hair and silver glasses. Unoriginally, the name I picked for her is r0153.

My instrument is the mic. I sing! I played xbox and PS2 karaoke with my friends in Alaska all the damn time, so this game was pretty easy for me to learn.

One of my favorite parts of the game is buying clothes for my character. Probably because I have no money to buy clothes in real life, and the clothes I have bought for her are totally badass. We play so many gigs, and we have amassed so much money, that she has a huge wardrobe. Unlike me.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: melack on January 30, 2008, 04:24:11 am
I play Rock Band at work because I'm lucky enough to work at a place where Rock Banding on a Friday afternoon is not only acceptable but encouraged. I would totally have bought it by now if not for the draconian noise rules in the apartment building I live in. If I'm able to escape my mildly insane roommate and find a new place with more humane neighbors, I should like to buy the game for myself.

Also, I should note that I've been playing Real Guitar for nearly a decade and I'm somehow twice as good on Pretend Drums as I am on Pretend Guitar. Don't ask me how that works.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2008, 04:29:22 am
oh, oh OH

this australian guy lives on the floor below us, right under the room at the other end of my hall.

and one day, he comes up, and starts screaming incoherently about how "it's always you, you with your bass drum and your bass band, all night, every night, the bass drum and the bass band playing, banging on my head!"

the guys below us just bang on their ceiling. I have never met them, and they have never come up to say anything to us.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 30, 2008, 04:31:12 am
wait, Australian or Austrian?
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: melack on January 30, 2008, 04:32:43 am
I have never known an Australian person who would complain about noise. They would just come up to your place, give you a beer and a noogie, and ask where the party is.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 30, 2008, 04:33:40 am
good people
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2008, 04:48:00 am
totally Australian.

Or maybe from somewhere else with a similar accent, I heard this second-hand.

The part that will survive through the ages is "bass drum and your bass band!"
I think those guys actually changed the name of their band to Bass Band.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: linnea on January 30, 2008, 04:52:49 am
totally Australian.

Or maybe from somewhere else with a similar accent, I heard this second-hand.

The part that will survive through the ages is "bass drum and your bass band!"
I think those guys actually changed the name of their band to Bass Band.

Man, that dude sounds like he hates loud noise as much as me. He should move the fuck outta the dorms. Which is what I had to do.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2008, 05:11:20 am
to be fair... they basically played that game 24/7 for a month.
that is the room most people on my floor drink in, dance in, play halo and call of duty and guitar hero and rock band in...
the people below them are probably insane at this point. But they've only come up to complain that one time, so...
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: Doc on January 30, 2008, 06:43:04 am
I have never known an Australian person who would complain about noise. They would just come up to your place, give you a beer and a noogie, and ask where the party is.

Nah, we've got douchebags same as everywhere else. Just generally we stop them from leaving the country so it doesn't hurt our tourism.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: smick on January 30, 2008, 02:24:17 pm
My band name is Süpdarts.  This comes from a sign that I passed on the road that said

SOUPDARTS
AND
GREATSTEAK

I've heard good things about Greatsteak, but didn't want to see the opener.

I've also named a band "CookieWülf"

I don't play the video games as much as I want to, but I've played through Drums on easy, and I'm just about done with Vocals on Medium.   I pretty much avoid the Guitar, even though I play classical guitar.  The Keytar hurts my hand after a while.   My Guitar teacher and I have discussed this, and we both agree that it would be way down to get tendinitis or Carpal Tunnel from playing GH/RB, and not from playing a real guitar.

I've threatened to bring my Mic stand upstairs and sing while playing drums.  So far this has not happened.

Also, Say... If we all have Live, shouldn't we be able to form some kind of internet band?
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: jaydub on January 30, 2008, 03:51:23 pm
Unoriginally, the name I picked for her is r0153.
Is that a default name the game assigns?  Because otherwise it sounds like a name the R&D department gives an investigational drug before the Marketing folks get involved.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: robot_god on January 30, 2008, 09:11:43 pm
I hate the guitar, but the drums and singing are badddd-ass.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on January 30, 2008, 10:58:46 pm
it worries me that I can typically play the solos and stuff, but have problems with playing chords with a regular rhythm.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: melack on January 30, 2008, 11:48:37 pm
Blazing guitar solos punctuated by really simple chord progressions -- sounds like Dinosaur Jr!

(I kid, I kid)
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on January 31, 2008, 12:01:54 am
i mean, yeah. that is what they are like. that is why they are awesome.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: linnea on January 31, 2008, 02:18:41 am
Is that a default name the game assigns?  Because otherwise it sounds like a name the R&D department gives an investigational drug before the Marketing folks get involved.

Heheh... if you read the numbers as letters, r0513 spells Somebody nice. It's my Halo gamertag too, although I've never played on Xbox live.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on February 03, 2008, 03:48:54 am
Quote
Blazing guitar solos punctuated by really simple chord progressions -- sounds like Dinosaur Jr!

(I kid, I kid)

This reminds me-- how much does the guitar solo in Keep on Rockin' in the Free World sound like Dinosaur Jr? Good lord. I know that J Mascis loved Neil Young, but does he have a lot of other songs this rockin? I really need to listen to him a lot more. I got After the Goldrush from my friend, what else should I be on the lookout for?

I want to be able to play my dang guitar like ol' neil. at this point, I am OK with never being Jimi Hendrix.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 04, 2008, 02:28:18 pm
All of it.

I have been listening to a lot of the non-hip Neil Young recently and it is all good.  Seriously.  I still don't like his protest album, but besides that.  My favorite is On the Beach, though it doesn't rock too much.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on February 04, 2008, 03:29:27 pm
dang, there are too many bands that have like 7 albums I haven't heard, much less guys who have put out 20 or so on their own...
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: linnea on February 05, 2008, 03:01:53 am
I played the drums for the first time. It is SO FUN. I love playing the drums, except I wish the drumset had 2 bass drum pedals because having only one bugs me.

Well, playing is hella fun until Kellichou starts yelling at us that we're ignoring her and playing too much xbox. She doesn't like video games. I will have to convince her to start singing, because it's easier. Maybe then she won't mind playing Rock Band for ten hours at a stretch? I don't want to neglect her while I'm at her house, but damn is that game like crack. Totally addictive.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: melack on February 05, 2008, 06:34:47 am
I saw Cirque du Soleil yesterday. One particular musical interlude had this guy coming out on stage to solo on a massive drumset. He was pounding those double bass pedals like the world was gonna end.

All I could think of is how my one foot gets too tired to finish half the songs in Rock Band on hard difficulty. This man was using both legs, non stop, for like six straight minutes. I would very much like to see how he handles "Run to the Hills" on expert.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: melack on February 05, 2008, 09:53:00 pm
Sweet holy balls, now I might have to risk eviction by picking up Rock Band: http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/17382
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: jough on February 15, 2008, 01:20:22 am
I swear I start reading the first few posts of message board threads these days and just start to glaze over. 

I loves me some Rock Band, and I'm interested in what you people have to say, but I have pretty long and hectic work days and reading more onscreen when I get home is just FAIL.

I really do miss you.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: AugustWest on February 15, 2008, 02:13:56 am
I swear I start reading the first few posts of message board threads these days and just start to glaze over. 

I loves me some Rock Band, and I'm interested in what you people have to say, but I have pretty long and hectic work days and reading more onscreen when I get home is just FAIL.

I really do miss you.


Yeah whatever, NOOB.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2008, 02:42:34 am
See, I knew this whole deal with Jough moving to Chicago was a bad idea.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: melack on February 18, 2008, 12:53:06 am
Let's play a game! It's called "How long after purchasing Rock Band did melack receive a noise complaint from his batty downstairs neighbor?"

Was it...

A) 1 hour
B) 2-4 hours, or
C) 5-12 hours?

If you guessed A, you're correct! Now I'm forced to retire the drums until I can come up with a suitable sound-proofing modification. In the mean time I'm playing the guitar with headphones on. Still fun, but kind of defeats the purpose since I have two actual guitars not ten feet away. I really wanted to pretend drum.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on February 18, 2008, 12:56:32 am
dang.

I am at the point where I can play some songs on Hard on guitar, and this is weirdly satisfying to me.

how can My Sharona be so hard to play? goddamn.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: melack on February 18, 2008, 01:04:01 am
I was all set on not buying Rock Band, but between "El Scorcho" coming out this week and Target putting it on sale for 20 bucks cheaper, I just plain caved. I hear this mod works pretty well, though: http://generationgamerz.com/v2/insight/time-for-rock-band-arts-crafts.php

If not... well, I've been meaning to find another place anyways. May as well burn my bridges in a blaze of glory!
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: jough on February 18, 2008, 01:07:28 am
The drums are loud but not *that* loud.  Fuck your neighbour.  You have every right to play fake drums.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 18, 2008, 01:14:56 am
My friend Mark at whose place I rock-band, basically if the drums are going past the tick of 9PM, people start banging on multiple walls. The world is essentially full of some very uncool people
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: melack on February 18, 2008, 01:34:18 am
I guess I can understand if it was a time factor, but this was around 3pm on a Sunday. This lady needs to get a grip.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: jough on February 18, 2008, 03:23:48 am
We generally have a 9:30pm rule on the weekdays, and maybe 11pm on a Friday or Saturday night.

Of course, my place is build like a concrete bunker, so the only time you hear your neighbours is when you're standing in the hall.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: melack on February 18, 2008, 05:48:25 am
My place was built in the 1930s, so I imagine they were cutting corners at every turn. Hence the cardboard walls (and floors).
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on February 18, 2008, 06:06:37 am
I can hear every goddamn thing within our suite, but not really much from outside. The other day it sounded like there were 20 black chicks screaming at each other 5 feet from my head... maybe the people above us? I had never even been able to hear them talking before, and suddenly it was like they were RIGHT THERE. And throwing things, and screaming, and then laughing hysterically.

My roommate has a girlfriend who I hate, whose voice I hate... and all I can hear all night is her giggling. Earlier tonight I was reading, and I swear to god all I could hear for an hour was her laughing, and then him laughing. No talking, just laughing. Is his dick hilarious? I cannot figure their deal out. She sleeps here almost every night because she shares her room (real roommate, instead of Suite-mate) and so he can't sleep over there. I am OK with this, really, it's just that I can't tune noises out very well.

well. At least I've never heard sexy noises (except maybe one muffled moan once).
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 18, 2008, 06:12:27 am
'Nev, as your doctor I recommend three joints of marijuana and a Neil Young album on headphones, to be taken whenever you need to screen out such noises. If problems persist, take one more joint of marijuana with an episode of Conan O'Brien.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on February 18, 2008, 06:23:34 am
my roommates would, like...
if they thought I did drugs, I think they would get me kicked out "for my own good" or something. They all Hate on pot in a way only people who have never been around it can. One time a girl we know said that her boyfriend smoked pot, and they all told her that she shouldn't hang around with people like that, and talked about how it would ruin her life if she started smoking.

The other day I made a comment that maybe I'd tried it, or would try it, and they all tried really hard not to look like they thought I was going to end up dead in a ditch. it was almost funny?

Neil Young, though, wow. Lately I am digging on him.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: Doc on February 18, 2008, 06:47:56 am
Inev, between this and the no sex thing with the people from your college you talked about in the other thread I am forced to conclude that your college is the place where people go because they get kicked out of Brigham Young for being too uptight.
Your college (or at least your dorm) is in major need of an 80s-style college party movie is basically what I am trying to communicate here.

Sorry to anyone from BYU, it is the only example of an american college with uptight rules that I am aware of.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on February 18, 2008, 06:52:52 am
yeah, for real. Me and my friends often talk about the need to Sex and Drug up this campus. You know, because despite the fact we are not getting laid or doing drugs, it is not for lack of trying (well, maybe on the drug front it is).

I mean, also, my roommates are really nice, hardworking Chemical Engineering majors. There are guys on the floor who smoke pot, at least. And get laid occasionally.

I was exaggerating about the Kicked out for my Own Good thing. But they would try to convince me that I was making a Huge Mistake that would ruin my life, I think.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: Doc on February 18, 2008, 06:59:29 am
Chemical engineering students do tend to be rather tense in my experience. Much less easy going than other engies I've encountered. I can't really blame them.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: jough on February 18, 2008, 03:57:15 pm
To-ga! To-ga! To-ga!
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: AugustWest on February 18, 2008, 09:58:50 pm
yeah, for real. Me and my friends often talk about the need to Sex and Drug up this campus. You know, because despite the fact we are not getting laid or doing drugs, it is not for lack of trying (well, maybe on the drug front it is).

I mean, also, my roommates are really nice, hardworking Chemical Engineering majors. There are guys on the floor who smoke pot, at least. And get laid occasionally.

I was exaggerating about the Kicked out for my Own Good thing. But they would try to convince me that I was making a Huge Mistake that would ruin my life, I think.

Holy crap there were plenty of drugs around back in my day!  WOOT!
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: melack on February 20, 2008, 08:57:06 am
3 dollar Office Max penis pads, cut into circles, glued onto the drum heads. This seems to work pretty well so far.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: melack on February 24, 2008, 08:47:58 am
Son of a shitting fuckbitch. I'm in the second to last city for the solo guitar tour on hard difficulty, but I'm stuck on stupid Enter Sandman. I already hated Metallica, but now I hate them even more. I've probably listened to that song for a good 2 hours today, but I can't get past the solo without dying off.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on February 24, 2008, 06:28:49 pm
fuck this fuck*ng shit, the people below us start pounding on the ceiling every time we start playing. Fuck them in the ear.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: lprkn on February 24, 2008, 08:23:43 pm
Saying cusses is power.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: nDed on February 25, 2008, 12:33:14 am
Yeah dude, everyone just needs to shut the fuck up and listen to us clickety clack on our plastic instruments. fuck*ng assholes, don't they know that we're only trying to KEEP ROCK N' ROLL ALIVE?
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: theinevitable on February 25, 2008, 01:45:12 am
for real.

i mean, it was like 6 PM on a saturday. we have never met them. they just pound on the ceiling.
I don't know. I just think that that's a really rude way to go about things.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: melack on February 25, 2008, 02:32:24 am
I managed to pass Enter Sandman on hard, but now I'm stuck on Flirtin' With Disaster. The good part is at least I like that song. No need to worry about my irrational hatred of Metallica while I practice the solo in that one.
Title: Re: Rock Band thread (Xbox 360 game)
Post by: linnea on March 02, 2008, 07:48:39 pm
I think it's the bass drum pedal that your asshole neighbor might be pissed about. It can get pretty loud, especially when you're trying to hit all the notes on "Epic" on Hard/Expert. Your downstairs neighbors will think you've taken up drunken Irish stepdancing on meth.

Covering the drum pads is also a good idea.