The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: linnea on February 03, 2008, 07:43:14 am
-
Being penniless, it's fun to figure out free shit to do. I've been on the New Belgium Brewery tour quite a few times when my sister lived in Ft. Collins, which was great because they give you almost two pints of free beer afterwards in samples. Today I went on the tour of the Celestial Seasonings factory near Boulder. It was amazing. Smelling three tons of herbs and tea was intense, especially the special room that they have just for peppermint and spearmint. My sinuses still feel tingly.
However, it was a Saturday and they weren't running the production lines, which was sad, but I still got a pretty good feel for the whole process, which was kinda neat. The whole system was automated. New Belgium was equally cool because the brewing process had been improved and refined because the owners were engineers, and the whole plant is on windpower.
Anyone else done this sort of thing? The freebies at Celestial Seasonings weren't as great as New Belgium. I got a small sachet with 2 sample teabags. The downside was the long drive that it took to get there.
Other thoughts, suggestions? I know that we've done similar threads, but I thought I'd start a new one.
-
Being in Colorado, there has to be no end of nice state parks to go hiking in and see pretty terrain.
Of course, being February in Colorado, it has to be colder than all get out right now, so hiking would probably kind of suck at the moment.
We am very spoiled here in DC where most of the museums are free. I forget that these things often have admission fees in other places.
-
Yeah, in other places, hella admission fees. It's always a shock.
I thought about this question and had no answer because I realized that all the 'free' things I do have large hidden costs - and not just the high cost of DC area living for the free museums. If the weather is nice, I walk my pugs, but the pugs are very expensive to maintain. If the weather is not nice, I watch Japanese TV or one of the few remaining good shows on other cable channels, but our cable costs an arm and a leg.
-
When I was a kid, my parents would occasionally find a subdivision under construction and go trespassing. It's best if you can go after they start to put up the sheetrock but before they put handles on the front doors (and therefore are usually locked after hours).
Alternatively, look through your local real estate listings and visit open houses on a Sunday afternoon.
Around here, we have a Parade of Homes (http://www.northcarolinabuild.com/bf/nc/hbarw/mem/association.jsp?pid=1000) in the fall, which is free to attend. Lots of localities have something similar. Those are fun, but they make me want to live far outside my means for a while afterwards.
-
Crap, now I want to go outside. And I never want to go outside.
Seriously, it's all hot and stuff today. Like 70, at least.