The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AugustWest on February 04, 2008, 03:16:16 am

Title: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: AugustWest on February 04, 2008, 03:16:16 am
Hooray!
Title: Re: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: Golfhaus on February 04, 2008, 03:17:33 am
ohhhhhhhhhhhh shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit

Great... twenty more years of Mercury Morris saying "They ain't shit! They ain't shit!"
Title: Re: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 04, 2008, 03:34:27 am
Oh yeah, that is definitely the flipside to this.

Those '72 Dolphins still jawin' until... until they're basically dead.
Title: Re: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 04, 2008, 03:38:02 am
Not. Perfect. Cheaters.
Title: Re: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 04, 2008, 04:51:56 am
Ha ha ha ha ha.  I found myself rooting for the Giants, and it was further driven home when Brady yelled at Welker for "misrunning a route" (though it just looked like a shitty pass to me).  And I was reminded WHAT A TREMENDOUS TOOL he's been this year.
Title: Re: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: Lister on February 04, 2008, 08:34:38 am
I'm ecstatic that the Patriots lost.  I'm not thrilled that the Giants were the ones to do it, but I'll take whoever I can get.

-500,000 points to the company that runs an ad featuring the Manning brothers and the "Anything you can do I can do better" song.
Title: Re: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: CortJstr on February 04, 2008, 01:57:27 pm
I kind of wanted them to go undefeated just so people could finally stop talking about the Dolphins. But apparently a lot of people don't like the New England coach and are glad he lost?
Title: Re: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 04, 2008, 03:08:22 pm
But apparently a lot of people don't like the New England coach and are glad he lost?

Yes.
1.  Accusations of running up the score in games earlier this season.
2.  Accusations of videotaping other teams' sideline signals and practices, which is illegal.
3.  Wears really dopey looking sweatshirts on the sideline.
Title: Re: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: CortJstr on February 04, 2008, 03:24:37 pm
Yes.
1.  Accusations of running up the score in games earlier this season.
2.  Accusations of videotaping other teams' sideline signals and practices, which is illegal.
3.  Wears really dopey looking sweatshirts on the sideline.

1. Is there some legitimate game-theory reason that this is bad or is just considered poor sportsmanship? I never played football but I did wrestle for four years and we were encouraged to win in the most dominant fashion possible. And frequently told it's only cheating if you get caught, and even then you can always claim you didn't realize that your forearm was on the other guy's trachea.

2. How is this illegal? Fox is always showing the sidelines, that's why the coaches hold clipboard in front of their mouths when the talk. Are teams not allowed to watching video of their own games?

3. That sounds pretty bad. But at least it's better than the stupid things that basketball coaches and baseball managers have to wear.
Title: Re: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: theinevitable on February 04, 2008, 03:27:02 pm

Quote
1.  Accusations of running up the score in games earlier this season.

this has always bugged me. I only catch sports games when my brother/dad/roommates are watching ESPN, and that limited knowledge tells me that it is extremely common for teams to suddenly come back from 20 points down.

But seriously, though, I constantly hear my roommates saying "stop running up the goddamn score!" when one team is, say, 10 points ahead? what the heck?
Title: Re: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 04, 2008, 04:32:27 pm
I watched the ending and thought it was pretty crass that The Brain went to the locker room before the required last kneel down. This mornings paper mentioned that Brady was off the field as well. That is a low thing, geez have some dignity. If anything, the flak for that Hunt's Move is appropriate.

I have seen a couple columns echoing this, as I predicted there would be when the last second played out the way it did.  I beg to differ, and I think folks are just taking the opportunity to kick Belicheck when he's down.  He crossed the field and shook hands with Coughlin.  What more do you want from him?  Why, exactly, should he have stayed?  Shit, I don't know why they didn't just run out the clock and call it over, instead of clearing the field just so Eli could take a knee.
Title: Re: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: AugustWest on February 04, 2008, 04:46:45 pm
Why, exactly, should he have stayed? 

Because the game wasn't over and his team was still on the field.
Title: Re: Evil Empire Deafeated!
Post by: melack on February 04, 2008, 07:45:31 pm
If you want to see why it's great why the Pats lost, this is a good primer (http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/02/04/the-patriots-danced-with-karma-and-lost/).

That said, I don't blame Belichick for leaving the field early. That was a really confusing moment and it looked like the game was already over.