The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AugustWest on October 29, 2003, 10:44:12 pm

Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary (10-29-03)
Post by: AugustWest on October 29, 2003, 10:44:12 pm
Huh.  So.  Just not exactly sure how to react to this one.  Nice bit of background.  The T man is Russian.  

So, were the Camels T-Adore's or his mom's boyfriend's?

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10292003).
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: CortJstr on October 29, 2003, 11:14:53 pm
Teador does smoke. And his dad would know all about how that would impact his life expectancy.

Does anybody else find it weird that Teador has apparently never had hair even though his parents were doing pretty well in the head fungus department.
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: V-Adore on October 29, 2003, 11:25:59 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Does anybody else find it weird that Teador has apparently never had hair even though his parents were doing pretty well in the head fungus department.

He has, at one point, sported Archie hair (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=12182001). I always assumed it to be like Roast Beef's hair (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=04222002), present but invisible when drawn.

That said, I wonder why Teodor's speaking of his parents in the past tense. They're presumably not dead, since Teodor just got a hand-me-down boat (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02182003) from his dad in February, and the fact that his dad gave him the boat means he's probably not disowned. Did he get kicked out of the house for his low life expectancycigarettes and thus end up in House Achewood? Or what?

(This may be the best-documented post on this board ever.)
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: jough on October 29, 2003, 11:38:06 pm
V-Adore, I swear I can find work for you to do if you're bored.

Why is this said to be the May 29th comic, though, instead of October (according to August's topic title)?

And is it just me or does anyone else think it's odd for a stuffed bear to talk about being "born."  Doesn't he mean "created in a Mexican factory"?
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: slink on October 30, 2003, 12:06:47 am
I love it. The idea of the heart-wrenching pain the thought of a family member's smoking habit might bring to him in his line of work.
I don't know, just comes across as this wonderful, melancholy, surreal image to me. Can't quite place why I liked it so much...
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: CortJstr on October 30, 2003, 12:13:20 am
I guess I just found it weird since Beef always had period hair-styles in memories/pictures/flashbacks but Teador looks the same. Maybe he just normally keeps the same "non-style"

He's only using the past tense because he doesn't actually live with them anymore. The implied phrase is "when I was growing up" or "when I was at home."

Philippe having a mom never seemed to bother anybody.
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: jough on October 30, 2003, 12:16:43 am
Ray has spoken on the phone to his mom, too.
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on October 30, 2003, 02:04:24 am
I've noticed in many cartoons that, quite often, a character's parents share several, if not all, of their child's physical traits.  Of course, genetics make the child resemble their parents, but what are the odds of husband and wife sharing identical traits?

ie: Milhouse's parents on The Simpsons

Just my observation.  Useless, really.
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: AugustWest on October 30, 2003, 02:54:40 am
Quote from: "jough"
V-Adore, I swear I can find work for you to do if you're bored.

Why is this said to be the May 29th comic, though, instead of October (according to August's topic title)?

And is it just me or does anyone else think it's odd for a stuffed bear to talk about being "born."  Doesn't he mean "created in a Mexican factory"?


What?  What are you saying?  It... It's not really May?  But, if it's not May and it's really October where have I been for the past 5 months.  

Wow.  Maybe that explains all the newspapers on the front porch.  I'll be back in a while, I gotta take a really extended whiz now.
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: CortJstr on October 30, 2003, 03:38:03 am
AW's constantly rotating titles are actually getting pretty entertaining.
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: AugustWest on October 30, 2003, 05:17:17 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
AW's constantly rotating titles are actually getting pretty entertaining.


I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

Is there some setting I need to change on my browser?  My title seems to be in a completely normal type style and not rotating or otherwise animated in any fashion at all.  

What am I missing?
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: V-Adore on October 30, 2003, 07:10:45 am
Title... DRAMA!!

"A really extended whiz" is a great phrase. Had I a little more time on my hands, I'd petition Onstad to give it a place in a strip.

Anyway. That said... I presumed Teodor's parents looked a lot alike because of similar background as Russian-born (-manufactured?) stuffed bears, presumably from a baseline with very little individual variation.
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: CortJstr on October 30, 2003, 02:21:43 pm
There is only one type of stuffed bear. The Bear of The People!
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: slink on October 30, 2003, 02:41:40 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
There is only one type of stuffed bear. The Bear of The People!


Communist bears. Very appropriate.
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: side_show on October 31, 2003, 02:39:04 pm
I could make a horrible joke about the Pooh-latariate.  But I won't.
Title: 5/29/03 Russian Actuary
Post by: slink on October 31, 2003, 02:46:36 pm
Quote from: "side_show"
I could make a horrible joke about the Pooh-latariate.  But I won't.


Ouch.
Though I quite like that.
Ouch again!