The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: jough on February 18, 2008, 06:38:23 pm

Title: Boston Touambers?
Post by: jough on February 18, 2008, 06:38:23 pm
I'll be in bean-town the first week of March and was wondering if any of you rock and roll faggots wanted to buy me a pint while I was in town.

Anyone here live in Boston?
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 14, 2008, 12:57:57 pm
*crickets chirping*
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: jough on March 17, 2008, 02:39:32 am
Seriously.  Fuck all y'all.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: jay-ell on March 17, 2008, 02:59:17 am
Dude, nobody lives in Boston. 

I don't just mean nobody here.  I mean nobody at all.  I know people who were born there, but they all left to live in places that don't suck. 

Screw you, Boston. 
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: lprkn on March 17, 2008, 04:59:18 am
Must have got tired of pahkin the cah in hahvahd yahd, or whatever.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: Doc on March 17, 2008, 05:46:55 am
Great, now I need to watch The Departed again.

Depahted
Oiwm Naht a Cohwp
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: theinevitable on March 17, 2008, 06:00:07 am
my dad's whole family lives in Boston, actually.

And my future roommate is from there. Or, rather, he says he is from Boston, and I told my dad where he lives, and he scoffed. "that isn't Boston. that's the suburbs."

i always wonder what my dad sounded like back when he had a Boston accent. Based on his sister/parents/etc, it was horrific.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: jaydub on March 17, 2008, 04:53:39 pm
One of my coworkers is from Watertown*.  He has a classic New Englander accent, but its gotten mellowed by the need to be understood by Westerners.  He still says "bawthroom" though, which is oddly difficult to process when you hear it.  Once again though - he's from there, not living there...


*part of the "Greater Boston area"
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: theinevitable on March 17, 2008, 09:17:24 pm
my dad can't say "drawer." It comes out kind of like "draw."
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: wombat on March 17, 2008, 10:32:45 pm
my dad can't say "drawer." It comes out kind of like "draw."

So what's wrong with that?

I lived in the Boston area for a long time, but it was a long time ago now. I wish I had left for someplace that didn't suck, though.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: Golfhaus on March 17, 2008, 10:41:34 pm
Three of the four people I know who were from Boston, I know because they moved to Virginia. The other one I met in Charlotte, before he went back.

If Jough had posted "North Carolina Touambers?," this thread would rival "Today I'm gonna..." in length.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: melack on March 18, 2008, 05:10:56 am
Boston's a great place to go if you want to get into a fight for no reason. Is that why you went, Jough?
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 19, 2008, 03:20:29 am
Boston's a great place to go if you want to get into a fight for no reason. Is that why you went, Jough?

Did that question even need to be asked?
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 19, 2008, 03:37:28 am
Boston is also a great place to go if you are of the opinion that the traffic is terrible or drivers are insane in Southern California or the NYC/NJ areas and you want to be proven horribly wrong. There are cabbies from Calcutta who see the traffic in Boston and just look at you and laugh.

It is like the mind-bendingly bad driving situations of a European city except instead of where Europeans are sensible enough to at least use a lot of motorcycles and scooters and stuff, it is all Large Deadly Cars.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 19, 2008, 03:43:15 am
LFM and I agree on transportation again. I was born in boston and I have been there many times. The traffic is absolutely more horrible than NYC. The city is built on some horrible non-rational non-grid pattern that makes getting form A to B a costly task. Mega Old cities are designed around ancient farm paths and shit that doesn't pan out to today.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2008, 03:43:53 am
what I don't get is that... my uncle, who has lived in Boston his whole life, declared that Charlotte drivers are the worst he has ever seen.

I mean, there is almost no way that this is true. All I can think of is that maybe he thinks everyone should drive the way they drive in Boston?
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 19, 2008, 03:49:20 am
Mass. drivers in general also use the [my mind is blanking on the real name] the disabled cars lane as a real lane of traffic. What I mean by old towns is like in NYC Broadway breaks the grid because it used to be a common carriage route through farms and most of downtown is built around historical farming and defensive strategies (There are some streets in downtown manhattan that are barely large enough for One car let alone Two SUVs.)
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: melack on March 19, 2008, 04:27:45 am
I've never seen drivers worse than Rome. It's like the entire car-driving population of that city is playing their own personal game of Grand Theft Auto.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: melack on March 19, 2008, 04:29:11 am
A-Cap: the shoulder?
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: jough on March 25, 2008, 03:58:57 am
Yeah, people in Boston are pretty bad drivers.

I actually liked Boston quite a bit, but I wouldn't want to live there.  Having said that, the North End has the most great Italian restaurants per square foot than any other place I've ever been.  I mean, there's Little Italy in NYC but it's more spread out and all of the restaurants aren't necessarily great.

It's damn near impossible to get good Italian food in Chicago.  I mean, seriously, I have to go to fuck*ng Olive Garden or something to even get approximate (or, of course, make it at home).

You go into an Italian restaurant here and ask them what kind of risotto they have today and I've sometimes been asked "what's risotto?"  Mama mia!
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: theinevitable on March 25, 2008, 04:03:06 am
there are hell of amazing Italian restaurants in STL.

Charlotte has zero historic ethnic populations, sorry Golfhaus.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: Golfhaus on March 25, 2008, 09:17:34 pm
there are hell of amazing Italian restaurants in STL.

Charlotte has zero historic ethnic populations, sorry Golfhaus.

Mrs. Haus says it's better than Lynchburg... they're not too far-removed from the days when restaurants advertised "ethnic food" and made good on it by serving chitlins and grits.

Olive Garden is Italian enough for me. Pizza Hut is pizza enough for me. Chili's is enough of a burger for me. I am not concerned about finding "legitimate" places for me to eat. Good enough for the masses is good enough for me.

Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: Mr Trout on March 25, 2008, 10:32:15 pm
Olive Garden is Italian enough for me. Pizza Hut is pizza enough for me. Chili's is enough of a burger for me. I am not concerned about finding "legitimate" places for me to eat. Good enough for the masses is good enough for me.

So I guess you don't enjoy being the only white person around (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/71-being-the-only-white-person-around/)?

I made an assumption about your race to make a joke work. Please don't hate me.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: theinevitable on March 25, 2008, 10:50:48 pm
I alternate between loving and hating that site. Because... it's funny. But, at the same time, it makes me feel stupid for liking things, and fuck it for that.

Also, it bugs me when it says things like, say, "White People love having an MFA." Where... wow, no, most white people do not have a master's degree in fine arts. Almost no one has that. I think it would be better called something like "Stuff Well-off, Highly Educated, Liberal, Urban-Dwelling White People Like."
Which, I mean... is very different.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: Golfhaus on March 25, 2008, 10:55:27 pm
So I guess you don't enjoy being the only white person around (http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.wordpress.com/2008/02/20/71-being-the-only-white-person-around/)?

Does my black ass LOOK white to you, cracka?

Disclaimer: I am, in fact, white.

That site looks pretty funny. It warrants further observation.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: Ben-San on March 26, 2008, 12:22:36 am
I like Boston.

I lived most of my life in the Boston suburbs and would happily move to Boston if the situation permitted it. Philadelphia's okay in the meantime though.
Title: Re: Boston Touambers?
Post by: side_show on March 26, 2008, 02:13:13 am
Sorry jough, the only Boston I know is the cream pie, and the terrible band.

Ah, yes, and that white people website, some WASP I knew from NY sent me to the theatre link.  I guess it was funny for him, but to me they're wrong about theatre, or at least the theatre I make and participate in.

Ad copy for the model call for the photo shoot to promo my big show for next season:

Quote
native male needed for photo shoot

We are looking for someone who can pose in a photo shoot for us. This is for our season brochure's promotional photos. We're looking for someone who could pass as Native, slight build. This person will be posing as a male prostitute. No pay, unfortunately. But crediting in our season brochure and pizza on the day.

This is for Mar 31st from 12-6 in Toronto.

If you think you fit the bill, send me your pic to...



So basically, they want someone to pose as a prostitute, but not for $.  They're looking for a slut then.  And I'm fine with that.