The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Death Ray on February 18, 2008, 09:15:55 pm

Title: "Mature" War Game
Post by: Death Ray on February 18, 2008, 09:15:55 pm
Flipping through a comic book recently I, a full grown adult enjoying children's literature, was nonetheless galled to come across this boastful endorsement contained within a video game advertisement:

(http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/MEDIA/advancewars_text.gif)

The ad included these screen shots from the game:

 
(http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/MEDIA/advancewars_screengrabs.gif)

The fact that this "mature" war game features a cousin of Ash Ketchum facing down a tripple-turreted goof tank made me wonder what the makers of Advance Wars consider "maturity" to be. A visit to their website, however, confirms that their game does indeed take a stern, adult look at the grisly realities of war, as reflected in the following screen captures.


(http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/MEDIA/advancewars1.gif)


(http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/MEDIA/advancewars3.gif)


(http://www.whatisdeepfried.com/MEDIA/advancewars2.gif)
 

 

 
Title: Re: "Mature" War Game
Post by: Ben-San on February 18, 2008, 10:22:15 pm
Ha ha! See, it's hilarious because Japanese cartoons are all tentacles and Pokemon! Oh man, fresh comedy stylings.
Title: Re: "Mature" War Game
Post by: theinevitable on February 18, 2008, 10:57:37 pm
this made me sad, because I really liked the old Advance Wars games.
Title: Re: "Mature" War Game
Post by: V-Adore on February 19, 2008, 12:23:44 am
I have heard that the new Advance Wars is a little goofy, but the art style isn't really the culprit. The culprit, instead, is... well, over-fanciful post-apocalyptic stylings, but is there a market for wargames about a super-realistic apocalypse? Besides "not me?"
Title: Re: "Mature" War Game
Post by: Golfhaus on February 19, 2008, 12:28:44 am
I saw the screen that started out with "What you say..." and all I could think of was that it had to be a Zero Wing reference.
Title: Re: "Mature" War Game
Post by: jough on February 19, 2008, 12:37:10 am
Dang, I was hoping "Mature" War Games was some kind of combat-oriented sexplay.
Title: Re: "Mature" War Game
Post by: Death Ray on February 19, 2008, 02:09:13 am
I have heard that the new Advance Wars is a little goofy, but the art style isn't really the culprit. The culprit, instead, is... well, over-fanciful post-apocalyptic stylings, but is there a market for wargames about a super-realistic apocalypse? Besides "not me?"

Well, I suppose if there were a market for watching bald fallout victims clawing each others eyes out over a can of peaches....
Title: Re: "Mature" War Game
Post by: Doc on February 19, 2008, 04:38:09 am
Well, I suppose if there were a market for watching bald fallout victims clawing each others eyes out over a can of peaches....
I hear that's going to be a minigame in fallout 3.
Title: Re: "Mature" War Game
Post by: lprkn on February 19, 2008, 05:31:06 pm
Dang, I was hoping "Mature" War Games was some kind of combat-oriented sexplay.

Email spam has ruined me. I see "mature" in any context, and I immediately think it's related to porn involving the...youth-challenged.
Title: Re: "Mature" War Game
Post by: melack on February 19, 2008, 05:47:07 pm
This thread is fun.
Title: Re: "Mature" War Game
Post by: smick on February 19, 2008, 06:26:44 pm
Dang, I was hoping "Mature" War Games was some kind of combat-oriented sexplay.

Gramps casts LmnPrty for 95 Dmg.
Title: Re: "Mature" War Game
Post by: jough on February 23, 2008, 09:51:23 pm
That's minus 50 DKP.

More dots!
Title: Re: "Mature" War Game
Post by: V-Adore on February 23, 2008, 11:43:32 pm
MORE DOTS! MORE DOTS! MORE DOTS!

okay, stop dots