The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: jay-ell on February 19, 2008, 06:49:03 pm

Title: Castro Resigns!
Post by: jay-ell on February 19, 2008, 06:49:03 pm
So, after more than 50 years, Castro has stepped down as President of Cuba, citing his failing health. 

The country is in the custodial care of his brother for the moment; no word yet on who will take Raul's place as Vice President. 

English version of the resignation message here (http://www.granma.cubaweb.cu/2008/02/19/nacional/artic10.html). 
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: lprkn on February 19, 2008, 06:51:33 pm
Yay, new thread in History!

This is news, although not unexpected. I wonder if this will lead to normalized relations, because if so, watch out Cuba, here come the Uhmurricans.
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: jay-ell on February 19, 2008, 06:56:00 pm
I thought the man would die before he resigned. 

I knew it was a matter of time, but...wow. 

Gotta respect the man, though.  I don't agree with his methods, of course, but there is a guy who is not afraid to live by his beliefs. 

It's the end of an era.  It sort of makes me sad that my kids will read about Castro in their history books instead of the newspaper.  It's one of the few things in the world that has been constant since my parents were kids. 
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: lprkn on February 19, 2008, 06:59:44 pm
That's okay, we'll always have weird little Kim Jong Il.
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: Golfhaus on February 19, 2008, 07:23:18 pm
I think it'll probably be business as usual until Raul kicks it. Real change towards normalization isn't going to come from a Castro.
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: CortJstr on February 19, 2008, 08:27:29 pm
Hopefully this will end the debate in my friends' dead pool. There was argument as to whether Castro was a valid choice for the 2008 pool as they thought he likely died in 2007 but it was being kept secret.
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: jaydub on February 19, 2008, 08:45:43 pm
There was argument as to whether Castro was a valid choice for the 2008 pool as they thought he likely died in 2007 but it was being kept secret.
It depends on what you mean by "dead":
(http://www.fotolode.com/images/jaydub/castro.jpg)

Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 19, 2008, 09:15:18 pm
Gotta respect the man, though.  I don't agree with his methods, of course, but there is a guy who is not afraid to live by his beliefs.  
George Bush isn't afraid to live by his beliefs either, and Im not sure how much I respect either of them.


Even though this is kind of a non-event in real policy terms, I've been planning a Cuba Libre and Mojito party ever since he got that artificial anus put in the other year.
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: Lister on February 19, 2008, 10:18:50 pm
Beliefs are real easy to live by if you control your entire country and have no real accountability to your minions.

Now I wonder if this will change Miami politics, which according to Dave Barry* is decided based on who hates Castro more.

Also: I'm setting ETA to official MLB scout infiltration at 500 days.  This doesn't count the unofficial ones that are doubtless already there...

Also Also: Red Zone Cuba (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe7MQlYFuDU) is less relevant now. So sad. :(

*Shut up.  It's a good point.
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: Doc on February 20, 2008, 12:08:17 am
Maybe it's just because I'm young and not an 'merican but Castro's always seemed like history to me.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out though, normalised relations would be a nice thing to see, I mean y'all deal with China dont'cha?
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: jaydub on February 20, 2008, 12:28:51 am
We lost a bunch of primo beaches, casino operations, and seaside villas when Castro's bunch took over.  You guys have still got the Gold Coast.
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: wombat on February 20, 2008, 12:37:07 am
I thought the man would die before he resigned. 

Yeah. It's kind of disorienting.
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: Doc on February 20, 2008, 12:41:23 am
We lost a bunch of primo beaches, casino operations, and seaside villas when Castro's bunch took over.  You guys have still got the Gold Coast.

We lost a bunch of primo beaches, casino operations, and seaside villas when Castro's bunch tourists took over.
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: jay-ell on February 20, 2008, 02:48:34 am
Maybe it's just because I'm young and not an 'merican but Castro's always seemed like history to me.
It will be interesting to see how this plays out though, normalised relations would be a nice thing to see, I mean y'all deal with China dont'cha?

China never stored nuclear weapons 112 miles off the Florida coast. 

Not that I think we have any business dealing with China; just that I can understand the historical reasons for cutting ties with Cuber. 
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: side_show on February 20, 2008, 04:28:25 am
Dude I was there, in Havana the night before.  I have hella stories, hella pictures, but I gotta bury the SO's grandpappy first.  Back soon.
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: Doc on February 20, 2008, 11:51:01 am
I thought america cut ties with cuba because of the communist thing and the nuclear missile thing was fallout (pun certainly intended) from that, not the other way around.

As usual though, holy shit Smells blows all other possible conversation away with a post of densely packed awesome coated in anticipation.
Come back soon and tell all.

A theory Drew Curtis was expousing on Fark is that Castro's dead and they wanted a 'duly elected' leader before they announce it. Not exactly a mind-blowing theory but I liked the reasoning: He decided this because they announced it at 3am or something stupid. Like it was something they had to ac on immediately.
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: Choop on April 08, 2008, 07:10:52 pm
Dude I was there, in Havana the night before.  I have hella stories, hella pictures, but I gotta bury the SO's grandpappy first.  Back soon.
As usual though, holy shit Smells blows all other possible conversation away with a post of densely packed awesome coated in anticipation.
Come back soon and tell all.

???????????????
Title: Re: Castro Resigns!
Post by: side_show on April 22, 2008, 04:18:42 am
Oh man, yes Cuba.  I sort of hit the ground running after I got back.  Haven't read Achewood since January actually.    I'll be back with a story or two at the end of the week. 

Here's a teaser:  I found the Black Market.  It's actually a place in Havana.