The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: MagFlare on February 21, 2008, 07:04:24 am

Title: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: MagFlare on February 21, 2008, 07:04:24 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02212008 (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02212008)

List of Mafia members' names/titles, in order of plausibility from most to least:

Freddy Guns
(tie) Johnny Phone Calls, Mikey Car Rides
President of the Mafia
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: melack on February 21, 2008, 07:04:57 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02212008

There's so much to like about this strip. I guess that's why I like it so much!
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: melack on February 21, 2008, 07:06:30 am
Ack, 33 seconds slow. Please delete.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: theinevitable on February 21, 2008, 07:38:21 am
I drink this stuff every day, and I'm as nice as I've ever been!
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: Doc on February 21, 2008, 07:42:30 am
So does red cordial equate to red wine in Phillipe's world?

Also it's an 'adventure-lesson' because everything should be educational.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 21, 2008, 07:53:38 am
The very nature of being a child is interpreting cliche divested of context, huh?

Interesting.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: LCB on February 21, 2008, 09:24:36 am
Not appearing in this strip:

Nicky Baseball Bats
Tommy Sets Fires
Teddy Drives Cars
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: Ruta Bagas on February 21, 2008, 09:55:18 am
I am going to refrain from meaningful comment and just enjoy my great big smile.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: Golfhaus on February 21, 2008, 01:47:07 pm
Phillipe is a serious hero for serious times.

Also: I think we should all have gangster names.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: CortJstr on February 21, 2008, 02:19:41 pm
The President of the Mafia should also quit smoking. It is very bad for him.

I can't think of a good gangster name for myself. I'd probably end up with something crappy like Joey Post Count or Tony the Gut
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: wombat on February 21, 2008, 02:27:37 pm
Joey Post Count

But this is a fantastic mafia name!

Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 21, 2008, 02:41:46 pm
I know people who get very nice when they take Ecstasy - but they always end up drinking lots of water too so I might have the causation wrong.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: theinevitable on February 21, 2008, 05:20:57 pm
Wait, did the kid break Johnny Phone Call's hand, or his phone?
Either way, that man has some problems.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: MagFlare on February 21, 2008, 07:53:16 pm
Wait, did the kid break Johnny Phone Call's hand, or his phone?
Either way, that man has some problems.

Pronoun trouble.

Well, after the kid kicks his phone out of his hand, Johnny Phone Calls is described as "holding his phone hand," so it can reasonably be assumed that his attention is focused on his hand, not the phone.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: LCB on February 22, 2008, 12:43:29 am
It sounds more like how someone would write a person trying to talk with a busted nose...I guess this is all part of the "cliches filtered through Phillipe's naivete" bit. I approve of course.

Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: Drygioni on February 22, 2008, 02:56:57 am
Not much to say other than I enjoyed that very much, and Phillipe >>>>>> Mussolini, Mori and all the other guys who have attempted to end the Cosa Nostra.

All you need is Phillipe style harsh-but-fair motherly love, surely the one thing all Italian* men can understand. It's so obvious.


*fuck*ng hell, I think calling the Mafia Italian is a bit insulting actually, seeing as it's a Sicilian organisation. It's like if one of you chaps called Glasgow Rangers an English club I'd be foaming at the mouth, so in short don't ice me.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 22, 2008, 03:20:26 am
The Italian part of my family is Tuscan and... if you went to the village where my grandpa was born and asked someone if they were Sicilian, they would punch you in the mouth. Northern Italian find Romans annoying and flat-out hate Sicilians for... some reason.

I dunno why, of course, but it is worth noting.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: theinevitable on February 22, 2008, 04:49:05 am
Sicilians are considered uncouth and uncivilized. Barbaric and uneducated. Provincial. Regionalism is universal, depressingly enough.

I mean, the Mafia is Sicilian the same way fried chicken is American. IE, it is, but that is not the most specific word to use.

That is my understanding, at least.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 22, 2008, 06:36:03 am
See, all I know is that I have known some very hot ladies of Sicilian extraction and that's all that matters to me.

If your ethnicity has some hot ladies in it, you are fine with me.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: MagFlare on February 22, 2008, 02:59:58 pm
Sicilians are considered uncouth and uncivilized. Barbaric and uneducated. Provincial. Regionalism is universal, depressingly enough.

Europeans have had to live right next to each other for thousands of years. Of course they're going to hate the hell out of their neighbors, usually for really stupid, petty reasons like which side of a river they grew up on.

Americans, on the other hand, hate each other for perfectly sensible reasons: the color of their skin, how much money they have, etc.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 22, 2008, 03:07:46 pm
Europeans have had to live right next to each other for thousands of years. Of course they're going to hate the hell out of their neighbors, usually for really stupid, petty reasons like which side of a river they grew up on.

Americans, on the other hand, hate each other for perfectly sensible reasons: the color of their skin, how much money they have, etc.
Thanks for adding that lens to my view of european history. Other lenses: Everyone was drunk. They had to drink alcoholic beverages because the water was bad.

I think Americans hate each other because you were either here, and "the new guy" moved in or you're "the new guy" and everyone is suspicious of you. Theres few places in america where, like europe, long standing communities can grow to hate other long standing communities.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: Doc on February 22, 2008, 03:08:14 pm
Don't for get how lazy they are when they're stealing our jobs!
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: wombat on February 22, 2008, 03:13:55 pm
Everyone hates their neighbors, whether it's the country next door that's just slightly different or the guy next door who's just slightly different. I mean, if you're in Italy, what's the point of hating people in Greenland? You're not going to get much entertainment out of hating people you never see.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on February 22, 2008, 03:26:04 pm
Everyone hates their neighbors, whether it's the country next door that's just slightly different or the guy next door who's just slightly different. I mean, if you're in Italy, what's the point of hating people in Greenland? You're not going to get much entertainment out of hating people you never see.

But it can make your vacation that much more special.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: jaydub on February 22, 2008, 05:30:28 pm
Maybe the real purpose of America is to give the world someone in common to hate, so they can ease off on slaughtering their neighbors.  What with TV and movies and Britney Spears, they probably see us more than they see each other now.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: colmore on February 25, 2008, 01:04:58 pm
Everyone always talks about how the Middle East is such a nightmare and how it's been at war since the beginning of time.

This isn't true.  The Middle East has had centuries long periods of peace over the past two thousand years.  There's only one region of the world that has been almost continuously at war with itself since before Rome.  Europe.  Don't forget it.

If 14th century France and Germany were around right now, you'd see Africa style public service ads about them.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: littlefallsmets on February 25, 2008, 04:36:26 pm
Just about every conflict in the Middle East right now, by the by, is directly or indirectly fueled by some kind of European/North-American intervention over there, let us not forget.

Oil grabs by America, arbitrary border alignments by European powers that shoved ethnic and religious groups into the same "country", old Cold War "enemy of my enemy" bullshit... if not for the actions of those outside powers, most of the Middle Eastern countries would be kinda keeping to themselves, focusing on oppressing their own people with strange mumbo-jumbo not anyone else's.

I'm... I'm just sayin' here.
Title: Re: February 21, 2008 - "I get VERY nice on this stuff."
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 25, 2008, 05:02:35 pm
What, you mean people just want to be left the fuck alone? Imagine that.
And apparently the middle east was the only peaceful place in the world for all of history. All of those ancient rivalries and wars fought for hundreds of years were actually masterminded by europeans and jews.