The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: tryphon on February 27, 2008, 12:03:52 pm

Title: Victims of the space race
Post by: tryphon on February 27, 2008, 12:03:52 pm
OK, this is a very controversial topic: did the Soviets lose any cosmonauts in space before Gagarin?
I put the story of some interesting radio intercepts on a website: please give us your comments and keep an open mond!!
www.lostcosmaonauts.com (http://www.lostcosmonauts.com)
Giovanni
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 27, 2008, 02:31:56 pm
http://lostcosmonauts.com/ (http://lostcosmonauts.com/) linkfix
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: tryphon on February 27, 2008, 03:03:25 pm
http://lostcosmonauts.com/ (http://lostcosmonauts.com/) linkfix

Thanks very much!!
I have now corrected the link.
Giovanni
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: lprkn on February 27, 2008, 05:21:18 pm
I kinda assumed that the USSR lost quite a few guys to the cosmos, what with the whole crushing need to get in space first and the cavalier attitude toward human life.
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: tryphon on February 27, 2008, 09:44:32 pm
I kinda assumed that the USSR lost quite a few guys to the cosmos, what with the whole crushing need to get in space first and the cavalier attitude toward human life.
Indeed!
Please note that nearly ALL space historian deny the existence of these secret missions. I have met with people who tracked these capsules on behalf of the US Government and they confirmed these events (off the record).
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: jaydub on February 27, 2008, 11:54:23 pm
So why all the tippy-toeing now?  Worried the Russians won't send any more Progress modules to the ISS if we air the Sov's dirty laundry?
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: lprkn on February 28, 2008, 04:35:33 am
It is kinda cool that a couple of Italians could a Soviet c-naut Gakking his way through space. Kinda funny, too. And sad.
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: lprkn on February 28, 2008, 08:10:58 pm
why has nobody made a movie about this i want to know now why
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: tryphon on February 28, 2008, 08:19:19 pm
why has nobody made a movie about this i want to know now why

It would make a superb movie. The Judica-Cordiglia brothers have recently published an autobiography and it is truly fascinating.
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: CortJstr on February 28, 2008, 08:20:51 pm
All this got me thinking of a new premise - Soviet Space Zobmies!

Work in bikinis somehow, then we're talking.
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: jaydub on February 28, 2008, 10:25:07 pm
Work in bikinis somehow, then we're talking.
I hear it got steaming hot in Mir.  I think most of their cosmonauts were hairy slavic dudes unfortunately.  Some liberties with history may need to be taken for artistic license.
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: Doc on February 29, 2008, 12:21:33 am
I hear it got steaming hot in Mir.  I think most of their cosmonauts were hairy slavic dudes unfortunately.  Some liberties with history may need to be taken for artistic license.

Yeah but it can be set in mordern day. The zombie is fuelled by hatred from being abandoned for years in geo-synchronous orbit. The serious young female research scientist who wants to prove herself worthy of the memory of her long-dead cosmonaut father (lost in a tragic and mysterious accident when she was a young girl) has finally attained her dual dreams of being the youngest female cosmonaut AND designing and testing her own new minimalist space suit. These dreams are put on hold when the a strange piece of debris attached to the space station turns out to be a Zombie Cosmonaut... but why does she recognise the serial number on the Zombie's suit?
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: theinevitable on March 12, 2008, 11:46:29 pm
man, what I got from that was that I want to make an album of Beach Party music, but for a beach party set in space.

Only kind of ripping off this band, and Man or Astroman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenomenauts)
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: pmcd9 on April 10, 2008, 10:07:31 pm
man, what I got from that was that I want to make an album of Beach Party music, but for a beach party set in space.

Only kind of ripping off this band, and Man or Astroman (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phenomenauts)

I don't have a picture of it, but the Phenomenauts have an artcar they tour in.
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: theinevitable on April 10, 2008, 10:36:19 pm
which reminds me, paul, I once again saw the awesome art car that lives in Charlotte and didn't have my camera.
Title: Re: Victims of the space race
Post by: pmcd9 on April 11, 2008, 03:39:10 am
Mark this day in your calendar, boys and girls. The end times they are a comin'.

Well they do live in Seattle after all and I was in Utah when they played in Houston and in Houston when they played Utah.

I'll get a picture of it when I go to Seattle next year.