The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: RMJ12345 on February 28, 2008, 06:17:21 am
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02282008
I just got back from a Dark Star Orchestra (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Star_Orchestra) show (Dead cover band that plays a specific setlist from their history) and this is what I come home to.
It's funny, but completely wrong. In my opinion.
See you folks later! I'll be back in a few months, when I'm finished with my two theses and graduated and employed and all.
-
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02282008
I only listen to the Dead's studio albums, myself.
-
Drat, 29 seconds too late. But at least I got the date right.
-
I never listen to their albums, it's kind of bizarre sounding to me. My SO has roughly a thousand GD shows on CD, trading live music is his hobby, and I hear a lot of live GD. I guess I was kind of judgmental and weirded out by it at first, but they're probably one of my favorite bands now, stoned or not.
The more I read this, the less amused I am by it. It's not a clever or original point, and I don't feel like it's a stereotype that's all that based in the reality of the band. The Dead do some weird shit and go off on long musical tangents, but it's all based around fairly solid rock and roll songs. And the culture that surrounds them is largely based around dancing, so I don't see how you can't "tap your foot" to it. Albeit much of the dancing is done under a lot of different drugs, but still. At the Dead-inspired show I was at tonight I was dancing while stone-cold sober.
I also don't see where Onstad gets off getting all high and mighty about drug induced ramblings. (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=01272005)
-
Fuck you Onstad. You make us wait 5 days for a lame ass Dead joke I could have read on Fark? Too much Benadryl?
-
It is good to see that all ladies-of-a-certain-age wear those glasses in Onstad's mind, too, though.
Also... I mean, he does have a point. I too heard "Touch of Grey"... thought it a fun song... and then was disappointed to discover what Actual Grateful Dead sounded like. How people could get stoned and choose that over, like, "Wish You Were Here" or the latest release by Air or whatever... it is just beyond a dude.
Now all that I am left with vis-a-vis the Grateful Dead is the fact that a story about a zombie Jerry Garcia could be called "A Touch of Grey Matter" and it would be a pretty clever title.
-
Who uses faxes? Thats like saying "at least you can tap your foot to morse code"
-
Film production offices still use faxes basically all the time because they tend to work with lawyers that aren't big on scanning their stuff into digital documents as they are tech-phobic and so... to get contracts around quickly, the fax is still huge.
In fields such as health care and law where near-instant communication with a patched-together network of clients and service providers is imperative, the fax is still the weapon of choice... here's the thing:
A chain is only as strong as its weakest link, yes?
Well, if even one part of your chain of communications is not in the internet age in their information processing, the fax is still the lingua franca when the info has got to go fast. There are a whole lot of people who are either not tech-saavy or do not trust the internet for transferring sensitive documents out there in charge of things.
And for as long as they're alive, the fax will be the fall-back.
-
Where is lyles eyewear?
-
The actual joke of this strip is pretty lame, but I did enjoy the fourth-panel musical freakout. Teodor strangling himself with a note is pretty golden.
-
Thank god Teodor didn't try listening to Phish. He'd certainly have killed himself after hearing that immeasurable lameness.
Healthcare is all about faxes. You'd be surprised how many places are willing to pay a couple hundred thousand dollars on a new CT scanner but only have one Windows98 computer connected to the internet. A lot of people will call my work asking for stuff to be mailed or faxed to them because they aren't allowed to use their office computers to visit our website.
-
Oh god, Cort, don't tell us stuff like that. There are things about the healthcare system that it is better not to know.
-
At the practice we go to, all the doctors have little laptops they take everywhere with them, and the whole office has wireless. Pretty frickin' awesome, if for no other reason than to have them fill out prescriptions in Word and print them out, meaning much less chance of the pharmacist having trouble with indescipherable handwriting and giving me something that will make me die or grow breasts.
-
The point isn't that people still use fax machines, anyway. The point is that they sound horrible, but are still less annoying than the Grateful Dead.
-
This strip would have been fine if it were just panel 4 labeled "Teodor Listens To That One Band You Don't Like". The other panels are functional only as packing material to keep 4 from rattling against the sides of the browser when you move the window.
-
Ben is otherwise always right, and puts his wrongness amusingly in this case, but I am sorry: They were too stoned to notice they had two drummers at the same time is funny.
-
Lyle's lack of eyewear leads me to this baseless speculation:
This is a really old strip Onstad had never planned to run, but he tossed it out there in a codeine-fuzzed lapse in judgment because the show must go on.
That said, you could cut the first three panels and the strip would be worthy of framing.
-
Well, the glasses could've also confused the joke by making him look too much like Jerry Garcia on some kind of a... weird subliminal level. I realize that this is probably not why the dude was not wearing glasses but I am the king of rationalizing, y'all.
-
Lyle would not be wearing his glasses because sometimes when you get a good snoot on you take shit off and just fuck-all forget about it for a while.
This happened to my ##### on more than one occasion. Fortunately not when I was going commando. Once located, they invariably smelled of beer and were dampish.