The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on March 04, 2008, 08:09:36 am

Title: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 04, 2008, 08:09:36 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03042008 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03042008)

I am not entertained.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: Doc on March 04, 2008, 08:13:40 am
I kind of like it but can't make hide or tail of the alt-text
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: Noah on March 04, 2008, 08:27:08 am
doc didn't you ever play a text adventure

but yeah the only good thing about this is how i felt proud for noticing the usual strip copyright info at the top says "1983"

most people probably missed that

but i noticed it
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: Doc on March 04, 2008, 08:39:57 am
Ok, I was applying it specifically to Phillipe, as a general text game comment it makes more sense, still not brilliant.
Graphics for Packaging Purposes Only is pretty great though.

Is this the wrong crowd to question the weirdness of the wrap around pantry with a glass toilet in the middle? Or are we just all totally jaded at this point.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: wombat on March 04, 2008, 12:18:10 pm
Can't see it! Links to all the strips are broken for me right now.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: CortJstr on March 04, 2008, 02:03:31 pm
Can't see it! Links to all the strips are broken for me right now.

Ditto. Stupid interweb
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 04, 2008, 02:51:38 pm
The only text game i remember playing back in the day was some medieval dragon slaying shit. CAST: FIREBALL
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: Hellalena on March 04, 2008, 02:58:26 pm
I've got the same problem as Wombat and CortJstr, alt-text but no strip.  I didn't realize it before but it looks like the strips are actually hosted on the assetbar comment site - is there a mirror for the comic anywhere that I didn't know about?
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 04, 2008, 03:59:44 pm
I'm a big fan of the admission that... even those graphics are too good than to actually be in the game, because it is a text-based game and it is 1983... but other than that, yeah. "Early-Career Steve Martin" is a fine non-sequitur, I will say.

It was a lot more... interesting than funny, exactly. But that's okay sometimes.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: wombat on March 04, 2008, 05:04:07 pm
It's back!

Life can go on.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: Golfhaus on March 04, 2008, 11:17:08 pm
I wasted more time playing Moonmist than I've wasted on this board. And I've wasted close to two weeks straight on here, based on what it tells me.

I owned the HHGG game, but never - and I mean NEVER in about 500 attempts - survived the collapse of the house. It wasn't until about five years ago that I found a walkthrough online and figured out what I did wrong all those years.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: V-Adore on March 05, 2008, 12:12:51 am
I just can't stop thinking about the all-glass bathroom. WEIRDED OUT
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: wombat on March 05, 2008, 12:22:20 am
V is right.

Also: not being able to imagine a single boat. That might be the saddest thing.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: chuanoplast on March 05, 2008, 04:11:34 am
The all-glass bathroom makes perfect sense if you are Five Years Old. Come on, did none of you ever leave bathroom doors wide open or try to walk into occupied bathrooms as toddlers?
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 05, 2008, 04:20:45 am
The all-glass bathroom makes perfect sense if you are Five Years Old. Come on, did none of you ever leave bathroom doors wide open or try to walk into occupied bathrooms as toddlers?
My roommate walks into occupied bathrooms all the time and hes in his 20s.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: jay-ell on March 06, 2008, 03:14:57 am
I just leave the door open if I'm here alone with the kids.  As per Ash's observation, I find I actually get *more* privacy if I don't try to shut them out. 

Pedro, however, insists on complete isolation.  I often hear him talking to himself in there, though I can never make out the words. 

There are some things in a marriage that are better off left a mystery. 
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: theinevitable on March 06, 2008, 03:18:40 am
I was talking to some other people on my floor, and I found out that the Rules about the bathroom vary from suite to suite. For us, if you're in the bathroom, it is YOURS. If you're in the shower, YOU'RE IN THE SHOWER and ain't nobody peeing in there or whatever. Some people said this was crazy, others agreed.

What I find interesting is that... everyone agreed that they had never talked about it. They all just assumed it was one way or the other and went with it.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: V-Adore on March 06, 2008, 04:16:25 am
I definitely understand the unspoken-rule thing, too. When I was in college, the code got complicated, as affected by several factors: timing (is it right before class, or at 2 PM when you can wait five minutes to pee, or what?), bathroom layout (to what degree are there stalls? Are there urinals right out in the open in an allegedly-unisex floor bath?), and so on. As such, the rules ended up very flexible indeed, although always erring on the side of "hold it / go down the hall."

That said, the best college Mysterious Bathroom Thing was the flourescent-pink hand towel that showed up in the hall bath a few male friends of mine shared my junior year. None of them owned up to buying it, and none of them knew where it came from... apparently it just materialized there and stayed because of apathy. Mysterious!
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: CortesDiddy on March 21, 2012, 04:27:56 am
Ok, first off I know this is kind of a thing I'm gonna be doing where if I find an old strip from days foregone I'll comment on it, because somethin's been chompin at the bit inside me.

Anyway, I keep looking at that floor plan and I guess I picture a wide room with a tall column in the center, four sided, each with a window. Inside the column is a bathroom. I figure this is what Onstad was trying to convey here. Am I looking at this correctly? Furthermore has anybody actually been in a room with architecture like this, anywhere? Like, is that literally a feasible idea architects have thought about?

EDIT: I realize now that it's supposed to be entirely made of mirrors and thus not even a serious type of thing anybody would build. Anyway, regardless of the mirrors my question holds.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: Choop on March 21, 2012, 04:37:59 am
it's like a giraffebowl with a crapper in the middle of a pantry. your question is based on a strange and wrong interpretation of the text and diagram.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: CortesDiddy on March 21, 2012, 05:09:02 am
I don't know. I read the text and that's what I saw.  Oh well, maybe next time I bump an old strip thread it will be to say something much more interesting. Not that this wasn't too bad of a comment.



*HUGE THREE PAGE ARGUMENT*
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: AugustWest on March 21, 2012, 12:29:41 pm
I don't know. I read the text and that's what I saw.  Oh well, maybe next time I bump an old strip thread it will be to say something much more interesting. Not that this wasn't too bad of a comment.



*HUGE THREE PAGE ARGUMENT*

You just dredge up any old strip you want and make any kind of wacky comment you can think of and the good lord will provide.

Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: wombat on March 21, 2012, 12:31:01 pm
We tried to do a thing where we started new threads for old strips in order and were going to like, relive history. But it didn't take off. Maybe this will work better.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2012, 02:46:27 pm
It's like those crazy Euro-toilets on the street where you can see out, but nobody can see in (http://www.toxel.com/tech/2009/05/27/transparent-public-toilets-from-switzerland/), except for in reverse.

You wanna talk about a fun bathroom (http://www.fanforum.com/33676158-post1.html)?
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: miles on March 21, 2012, 03:00:57 pm
Pedro, however, insists on complete isolation.

I totally get this. The only thing I want with me in the bathroom is a shotgun, because that's when I'm most vulnerable.

A shotgun, and maybe a book.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 21, 2012, 03:01:53 pm
You wanna talk about a fun bathroom (http://www.fanforum.com/33676158-post1.html)?

The door needs a trompe l'oeil painting of a hole busted in the door and Jack Nicholoson peering in.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: jay-ell on March 21, 2012, 04:16:04 pm
 
You wanna talk about a fun bathroom (http://www.fanforum.com/33676158-post1.html)?

I like that bathroom. It pleases me.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: side_show on March 21, 2012, 04:33:32 pm
Is it me, or should the wall across fromt he mirror have redrum written on it?
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: jay-ell on March 21, 2012, 04:49:34 pm
It sort of makes me want to print something literary all over the walls in the bathroom Pedro uses. It would have to be something you didn't mind reading over and over again, though -- either something sufficiently thought-provoking to reveal something new on each contemplation, or something that is pleasant to have memorized. Perhaps a selection from Crime and Punishment, or some excerpts from Leaves of Grass.

Just think -- you'd never sit down and realize you have to go number two and you didn't bring anything to read.
Title: Re: March 4 2008 - You Have: A caring mother in Ohio
Post by: Nabubrush on March 21, 2012, 06:10:13 pm
Is it me, or should the wall across fromt he mirror have redrum written on it?

Nope, you are exactly right.