The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: CortJstr on March 04, 2008, 01:57:09 pm

Title: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: CortJstr on March 04, 2008, 01:57:09 pm
http://chrisonstad.blogspot.com/2008/03/new-adventures-in-text.html

This is weird timing. I was really bored about work last week and just installed some "interactive fiction" programs. Yesterday I played one where you're trapped in a balloon with a guy whose overcoat carrying capacity rivals that of Jerry Steiner
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 04, 2008, 04:04:53 pm
I could see an Achewood text-based retro-game being interesting.

Sorta along the lines of what Homestarrunner did except... y'know... R-rated. That has always been my one problem with Homestarrunner, actually, the cartoons have always felt kind of confined creatively by their family-friendliness.

Also, it'd be nice if an Achewood version of it would be... large and needlessly sprawling as opposed to relatively plot-based as the Homestar experiments were.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Golfhaus on March 04, 2008, 11:07:33 pm
I don't know... I always thought part of the charm of H*R was that they didn't work blue. Everything that's "Internet-exclusive" takes advantage of the freedom to show nekkid people/cats/*****s/geraniums/etc. The Chaps don't do that, even though Homestar himself doesn't wear any #####.

That being said, I haven't visited H*R in about two years.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 05, 2008, 04:04:09 am
I'm not saying that I need to see, like, Marzipan getting fingered by Homestar's invisible hand or anything... though I'm sure there are people out there who'd pay Large Bucks to see that, now that I mention it.

I'm just saying, there are some characters and some situations where a little cursing is the logical dialogue for the moment and... to not use that dialogue pulls me out of the moment of the entertainment medium.

I mean, Strong Bad's supposed to be a lil stinker, y'know, for example. Every once in a while, dude's gonna swear. The fact that he doesn't, it kinda pulls a dude out.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: wombat on March 05, 2008, 01:37:42 pm
OK, we know Philippe for president won't work. But maybe the next administration could appoint him Crazy Guys Czar.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: lprkn on March 05, 2008, 03:33:12 pm
In charge of The War on Insanity. And we all know how our Wars on Stuff go.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Golfhaus on March 05, 2008, 11:58:44 pm
I dunno, Philippe. Your idea sounds a lot like Bumfights to me. Then again, you are five.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 06, 2008, 10:36:02 pm
Y'know, I am not usually with Phillipe on political points but...

I am all for closing every Wendys in Los Angeles.

Maybe some of them would turn into In-And-Outs, which we are desperately short on.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Lister on March 08, 2008, 12:48:08 am
The West Coast needs more Chick-fil-A.

That is all.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Golfhaus on March 08, 2008, 01:26:09 am
I'll give you my local Chick-Fil-A if I can get an In-N-Out from you.

Then again, we have Five Guys, which isn't the same, but is still hell of awesome in the burger sense.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: CortJstr on March 08, 2008, 01:51:46 am
I'll give you my local Chick-Fil-A if I can get an In-N-Out from you.

Then again, we have Five Guys, which isn't the same, but is still hell of awesome in the burger sense.

I'm not a chick-fil-a fan. Pickles are gross and fuck closing on Sunday.

I hope Five Guys doesn't degrade now that they've gone franchise and there are more than 5 of them. But hey, some of the new ones even take credit cards, so that's nice.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: theinevitable on March 08, 2008, 05:15:28 am
there is a five guys real close to my house.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: wombat on March 26, 2008, 02:04:56 am
Uh oh, sounds like the second cookbook is all Teodor-style.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Ben-San on March 26, 2008, 07:38:11 am
I'm not saying that I need to see, like, Marzipan getting fingered by Homestar's invisible hand or anything... though I'm sure there are people out there who'd pay Large Bucks to see that, now that I mention it.

I'm just saying, there are some characters and some situations where a little cursing is the logical dialogue for the moment and... to not use that dialogue pulls me out of the moment of the entertainment medium.

I mean, Strong Bad's supposed to be a lil stinker, y'know, for example. Every once in a while, dude's gonna swear. The fact that he doesn't, it kinda pulls a dude out.

In interviews, the creators have said that they're not deliberately aiming to be family-friendly but rather to capture a certain sort of feel from their childhood and adolescence - Nintendo and Atari, early computer games, Saturday morning cartoons, etc. The "family friendly" aspect is an outgrowth of the vibe they're going for.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: colmore on March 26, 2008, 08:30:37 am
Good to know his fingernails aren't like 3 inches long or anything.  It's a little funny how we expect web celebrities to be constantly visible to the public.  Nature of the medium I guess.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: lprkn on March 26, 2008, 03:24:52 pm
Quote from: Onstad
A little while back I got all high on my abilities and had a child.

I thought this phrase was pretty funny.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: MrCB on March 26, 2008, 03:44:32 pm
Uh oh, sounds like the second cookbook is all Teodor-style.

What's wrong with that? There's surely equal scope in this ol' universe of ours for both "How to Boil an Egg" and "How to Make a Souffle" isn't there?
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: wombat on March 26, 2008, 04:55:49 pm
Well, the variety of characters in the first one was entertaining. But maybe he'll have Phillippe making a souffle from an old family recipe.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: MrCB on March 26, 2008, 05:59:56 pm
Well, the variety of characters in the first one was entertaining. But maybe he'll have Phillippe making a souffle from an old family recipe.

Ah well, I've never read the first one. The sample recipes just didn't appeal to me who can already cook.

Because I feel that there is scope to be misinterpreted, my original question wasn't intended to be dickish, I was purely curious about the relative dis-merits of a Teodor-style cookbook.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: wombat on March 26, 2008, 06:16:28 pm
Onstad never seemed to manage to market the cookbook properly in my opinion. It doesn't matter if you want to cook from it. If you would buy one of Beef's 'zines, you should buy the cookbook. Or if you read the blogs, it's like blog entries that happen to have recipes in them. 

That being said, I can already cook, but there are a few recipes in it that have become regulars for me. They are not all 'how to boil an egg' because some of the characters know how to do more than boil an egg.  And while it mostly ignored dessert, it turned out to have the chocolate chip cookie recipe I'd been looking for all my life. Hmm, I wonder if Teodor knows how to make brownies?
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: CortJstr on March 28, 2008, 01:32:24 am
http://rbeef.blogspot.com/2008/03/why-did-i-get-screamed-at.html

http://philippesblog.blogspot.com/2008/03/dog-got-operation.html

Print cable? Beef hasn't upgraded Molly to a USB, ethernet, or WiFi printer yet? Dang dude, I know she's from olden times but come on dogg.

I wonder if the dog has a cone. I hope not, they always look so sad, plus it makes them harder to hug.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 28, 2008, 03:22:31 am
As teched-out as Beef is, there's probably an extent to which his humbleness shines through, you know.

It has probably been cheaper/less complicated to just hook up his printers the old fashioned way and has kind of dug his heels in on the subject out of a combination of frugality and nostalgic pride, buffered by a smidge of paranoia about the idea of wireless being an invitation to being hacked.

But at the end of the day, that is all probably bullshit rationalization for the fact that he is neurotic about money.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: wombat on March 28, 2008, 12:12:53 pm
Whiskey or whisky. He's right, don't get drunk and think about it.

Dogs are important, but they get you up too early in the morning on your day off. Nevertheless, I am no longer wondering if sleep-deprivation is the reason that I am extremely in love with Achewood this week. This is just too excellent, again.

Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: colmore on April 05, 2008, 05:04:32 pm
Beef probably likes old hardware for the reasons a lot of programmers do: the interfaces are simpler to write for and they let you work "closer to the metal."  A lot of guys keep 386s around because they're basically a modern computer minus everything inessential.  Like the floating point processor.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Choop on April 05, 2008, 05:53:46 pm
hey doggle if the old dot matrix still prints ain't no need to give up the banner-makin aspects


all pixelated clipart football helmets at superbowl time
all green and white bars alternating for mad ledger style
all makin mile-long paper springs outta the tearoff spoke hole strips
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: jay-ell on April 05, 2008, 09:48:34 pm
hey doggle if the old dot matrix still prints ain't no need to give up the banner-makin aspects


all pixelated clipart football helmets at superbowl time
all green and white bars alternating for mad ledger style
all makin mile-long paper springs outta the tearoff spoke hole strips

GOOD

TIMES
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Golfhaus on April 05, 2008, 09:50:16 pm
One thing to say: Print Shop on the Apple ][ series.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Choop on April 05, 2008, 09:56:50 pm
Print Shop Pro on DOS 6


anybody else still miss wordperfect 6 and "reveal codes"
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: wombat on April 05, 2008, 10:52:20 pm
anybody else still miss wordperfect 6 and "reveal codes"

Ooo Ooo me too.

Today the Technical Staff told me that he couldn't fix my FTP program but that he could tell me how to do it from the DOS command line. I told him that I was very very sad to say this, but that I no longer knew how to FIND the DOS command line. I didn't even know it was still deep down there somewhere.

He comforted me by saying it wasn't my fault, that now Windows hid it really hard on purpose.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Golfhaus on April 05, 2008, 11:00:34 pm
Print Shop Pro on DOS 6


anybody else still miss wordperfect 6 and "reveal codes"

Similar and opposite to this, has anyone else ever, in Word, made the mistake of putting a border around the last paragraph in a document, only to type more text after it and have the goddamn border follow you? This drives me insane. Ctrl+End should, IMHO, take you outside that formatting, but what do I know?

We rocked WordPerfect 5.1 for DOS in my high school typing keyboarding class. No one had that shit mastered like me. NO ONE. At least no one at my school.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: CortJstr on April 05, 2008, 11:29:20 pm
Ooo Ooo me too.

Today the Technical Staff told me that he couldn't fix my FTP program but that he could tell me how to do it from the DOS command line. I told him that I was very very sad to say this, but that I no longer knew how to FIND the DOS command line. I didn't even know it was still deep down there somewhere.

He comforted me by saying it wasn't my fault, that now Windows hid it really hard on purpose.

My job uses this theory. We want people to fill our forms out online. You can still download and print PDFs, but we hide the fuck out of them on our website.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: AugustWest on April 06, 2008, 02:22:17 am
YES!  WordPerfect 5.1 absolutely rocked.  It was a perfect piece of software.  You could get it to do exactly what you wanted it to do simply, easily and efficiently.  AND you could do it all with keyboard commands!  Genius.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: theinevitable on April 06, 2008, 07:02:20 am
sometimes the formatting shit that Word does automatically to "Help" me makes me want to... do something violent to someone.

My favorite is that in the short story I wrote for my fiction class, I put "***" between sections, and it turned that into some kind of weird double-line that I couldn't delete.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on April 06, 2008, 08:13:15 am
Yea MS Word has been incredibly hard to deal with because of its "automatic" systems like numbering and formating. Fortunately, there is a way to turn this off.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: wombat on April 06, 2008, 01:06:19 pm
Yea MS Word has been incredibly hard to deal with because of its "automatic" systems like numbering and formating. Fortunately, there is a way to turn this off.

There is?  TELL US.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: CortJstr on April 06, 2008, 02:36:14 pm
Yea MS Word has been incredibly hard to deal with because of its "automatic" systems like numbering and formating. Fortunately, there is a way to turn this off.

There is?  TELL US.

Tools -> AutoCorrect Options...

You can uncheck whatever you don't like. You can also add new stuff like ^2, words you commonly misspell, and personal shorthand.
Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: wombat on April 06, 2008, 06:42:41 pm
Hmm, a lot of this stuff was already turned off, but there was some autoformatting that was repeated in two different menus that wasn't.  If this stops weird paragraph margin stuff from happening seemingly randomly out of nowhere I will be forever grateful.

I like a program to have at least an option to use, like, the manual transmission, you know? That's what was perfect about the Reveal Codes thing.

Title: Re: March 2008 - In like a blog, out like a lamb
Post by: colmore on April 07, 2008, 04:39:09 pm
The basic problem with MS Word in its modern incarnations is that it wants to be as simple as a text editor with multiple fonts, but at the same time it attempts to be a complete layout system (like InDesign) as well as an automated document management / production environment that supports _multiple_ programming languages.  It's a mess.

What's even more infuriating is the way the available word processors for the Unixes attempt to ape this same design, when it goes against the entirety of the Unix philosophy of small interoperable programs with a very limited range of functionality.

Properly, Word should be dozens of programs, each of which recognizes the same file format.

Oh and how about the non-WYSIWYG text editor for the Apple II.  My middle school was still using that in 1994, because the Georgia public school system was and is completely broke.