The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: AugustWest on March 04, 2008, 06:30:36 pm

Title: Missed his saving throw?
Post by: AugustWest on March 04, 2008, 06:30:36 pm
As yet it's unconfirmed, but RIP Gary Gygax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Gygax).  Thanks to you I spent some of my time in junior high engaged in a different sort of fantasy.
Title: Re: Missed his saving throw?
Post by: jaydub on March 04, 2008, 09:14:46 pm
I'm getting missives from the guys and gals I misspent my afternoons with as a teen/twenty-something so its looking less like a rumour. 
I remember in his dissertation on the difference between Intelligence and Wisdom, he made a reference to his own inability to give up smoking. I wonder if it was the big C that brought him down?

Irregardless, years ago I wrote him a letter thanking him for the game. He wrote me back (pens and paper days again) disclaiming credit, but wishing me well.  He felt that he just contributed to something that many others had started long before.  Definitely one of my role models.
Title: Re: Missed his saving throw?
Post by: CortJstr on March 04, 2008, 09:22:22 pm
Wired put up an obit already. Written by Lore, naturally. Apparently he had been ill for a while but it doesn't specify if it was cancer.
Title: Re: Missed his saving throw?
Post by: theinevitable on March 04, 2008, 10:08:01 pm
I won't ever get over the fact that... there are so many things that can go wrong with our bodies, and yet everything keeps running without any problems 90% of the time. We're so complicated, it's ridiculous.
Title: Re: Missed his saving throw?
Post by: V-Adore on March 05, 2008, 12:16:35 am
Well, I'll miss him. He embodied the weird, occasionally-insane pioneer spirit of early roleplaying, and I can respect that.
Title: Re: Missed his saving throw?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 05, 2008, 02:17:39 am
I don't play anymore, but I do read Order of the Stick.