The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Steve Hogan on October 31, 2003, 01:29:42 pm

Title: Awww! (10-31-03)
Post by: Steve Hogan on October 31, 2003, 01:29:42 pm
Phillipe looks so cute!  He's like a little chocolate chomping Blind Melon video!

Strip (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10312003).
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: slink on October 31, 2003, 01:49:08 pm
That chewing still is priceless.
I'll have to send this to my mom as an anniversary present (we don't do real ones in our family), (and yes, much like in The Crow they did indeed get married on Halloween).
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: revdj on October 31, 2003, 02:00:35 pm
The joke is on Philippe!  Roast Beef is clearly giving him a HERSHEY bar and telling him it is a Snickers.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: slink on October 31, 2003, 02:46:21 pm
Quote from: "revdj"
The joke is on Philippe!  Roast Beef is clearly giving him a HERSHEY bar and telling him it is a Snickers.


My first comment upon sending to my mother was "Shocking of Beef, giving an otter a Snickers."
I mean, wombat - your opinion on otters being given chocolatey treats?
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on October 31, 2003, 02:51:13 pm
But that's not a Hershey's wrapper. They don't have the jagged sealed ends like that. So many contradictions!

That is apparently the most painful "gulp" since the jagged-metal Krusty-O
Title: hmm
Post by: FancieBabie on October 31, 2003, 04:12:54 pm
what's in his mouth in the 5th panel? the wrapper? his tongue?
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: side_show on October 31, 2003, 04:18:34 pm
Quote from: "revdj"
The joke is on Philippe!  Roast Beef is clearly giving him a HERSHEY bar and telling him it is a Snickers.



The joke is on Phillippe!  He just ate a Hershey bar with the wrapper still on it!  He's going to get really sick and maybe die. Ha. Ha. Ha.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on October 31, 2003, 05:20:49 pm
I thought Phillipe opened his mouth in a different, grosser way?
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: sjlimmer on October 31, 2003, 05:42:36 pm
But can someone explain the alt-text to me.  
Quote from: "Onstad"

"Seriously give it a try sometime"

Give what a try?  Feeding chocolate to an otter?  Having a stupid Halloween?  Eating a full size candy bar, wrapper and all, in one mouthful?

Oh, the dilemma!
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: AlohaDawg on October 31, 2003, 06:29:47 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
But that's not a Hershey's wrapper. They don't have the jagged sealed ends like that. So many contradictions!

That is apparently the most painful "gulp" since the jagged-metal Krusty-O


The end facing Philippe is square and brown - maybe Beef unwrapped the end of the bar for him.

Not that I go in for this English Lit 250: Role of Stuffed Animals in 21st Century On-line Cartoons sort of thing.

I did think his mouth opened a different way, though.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: slink on October 31, 2003, 08:29:19 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

I did think his mouth opened a different way, though.


http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=10152001

Someone had to...
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: jough on October 31, 2003, 09:35:56 pm
Gross!
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 01, 2003, 12:23:25 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "slink"
I mean, wombat - your opinion on otters being given chocolatey treats?


We gave them crickets in a jack-o-lantern for Halloween.  But I can't see Philippe eating crickets, can you?  I think it might even make him cry.


Will it make little kids cry? Because trick or treating hasn't started up here yet, and it's fun to make little kids cry.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: slink on November 01, 2003, 12:37:49 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Will it make little kids cry? Because trick or treating hasn't started up here yet, and it's fun to make little kids cry.


Gotta love making kids cry. You can tell I'm not a parent!
Although even if I were I suspect I'd still be evil at them...
Otters on the other hand, no right to make them cry!
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: wombat on November 01, 2003, 01:41:32 am
I don't know if crickets make little kids cry, but I guess if you held the kid down and put the cricket right in its mouth...  Otherwise, it's hard to know, because so there are so many crying kids at the zoo even in the absence of crickets that sometimes I think going to the zoo makes kids cry.  I want to grab them and say "Don't CRY, you are at the ZOO, it is supposed to be FUN!"
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: slink on November 01, 2003, 01:57:15 am
Quote from: "wombat"
I want to grab them and say "Don't CRY, you are at the ZOO, it is supposed to be FUN!"


I never cried at the zoo as a kid. I loved it.
I did last time I went to Edinburgh Zoo, but then I'm an idealist...
(One of the cat enclosures was noticably undersized. Nothing worse than a stir-crazy animals... Blearhg)
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: Choop on November 01, 2003, 08:53:55 pm
I think Phillippe opened his mouth that gross way just the once. Quite recently, he has operated his mouth (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=09192003) in a much more normal way.


ed. for tagginess
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: revdj on November 03, 2003, 12:57:24 pm
The strip art has now been changed.  The word Hershey's has been removed from the bar.  Oceana was always at war with Eastasia.  It was never about the WMD.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on November 03, 2003, 02:38:49 pm
Very nice 1984 reference. I get it, I get it.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: Steve Hogan on November 03, 2003, 03:23:29 pm
Yeah. I'd swear it used to say Hershey bar.  Did the Mars corporation offer Onstad money for product placement?
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: jay-ell on November 03, 2003, 04:10:11 pm
The archived strip's alt text says, "Wait a minute, did Roast Beef pick up a Hershey bar by mistake?"
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: AlohaDawg on November 03, 2003, 04:23:08 pm
Which forces one to ponder: Character misidentifies candy bar? Or artist makes embarassing continuity error?

You decide.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on November 03, 2003, 04:38:35 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Which forces one to ponder: Character misidentifies candy bar? Or artist makes embarassing continuity error?

You decide.


Beef's too precise for that. Now I could understand if there was a regional dialect at play here, like how some people call all soda/pop/soft drinks Coke whether it's actually Coke, Pepsi, ginger ale, etc. but that just doesn't work with Snickers.

Although in some parts of the country (notably Pennsyltucky) I've heard one Snickers bar referred to as "a Snicker" but these are probably the same people who say "kudo"
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: jough on November 03, 2003, 04:41:40 pm
People in the land of Hershey (Pennsylvania) know the difference, believe me.

Especially since Nestles bars are go god-fuck*ng-awful.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: ManDingo on November 03, 2003, 05:16:21 pm
Phillipe's "that tastes gross / i just ate a candy bar wrapper" face looks like one of the Golden Girls taking a dump.

This is a little off topic but can anyone tell me the deal about why the Achewood forum left dumbrella? I am totally new here.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: slink on November 03, 2003, 05:48:01 pm
Quote from: "jough"
People in the land of Hershey (Pennsylvania) know the difference, believe me.

Especially since Nestles bars are go god-fuck*ng-awful.


I've only once had a Hershey bar, and it kinda tasted like... Well I've edited it from memory, but it was nasty!
British chocolate tends to be about as bad, though not the same dusty, left in an attic for three years flavour.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on November 03, 2003, 06:26:32 pm
A couple years ago Slate did a double-blind chocolate rating and found that the tasters vastly preferred regular Hershey bars to Cadbury, Godiva, and belgian chocolates. But what they couldn't figure out is if the tasters actually thought it was better or just reacted to the familiar taste.

And while Hershey is better than Nestle on the whole, Crunch > Krackle any day of the week.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: jough on November 03, 2003, 06:37:47 pm
Slink, you must've gotten a bad one.  Generally Hershey bars are known for their creamyness and deliciousness.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: slink on November 03, 2003, 07:04:04 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Slink, you must've gotten a bad one.  Generally Hershey bars are known for their creamyness and deliciousness.


'Tis certainly a possibility. I always just put it down to the (well known) differences in tastes. It has seemed from every source I get that American chocolate just isn't the same as ours, and in turn ours is nothing compared to real chocolate.
It's all to do with the legal restrictions on what cocoa content can be called chocolate, and you guys don't have any restriction do you?
Mind I don't think we do still...
Which is a shame.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: jay-ell on November 03, 2003, 07:41:37 pm
I personally much prefer Godiva and European chocolates to Hershey, Nestle, or any other American bastardizations of the food.  The darker, the better.  Possibly the best chocolates in the world are Godiva's dark chocolate cinnamon cremes.  

To. Die. For.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: jough on November 03, 2003, 07:51:27 pm
Hey, thanks for that link.  I'd wanted to save a copy of it but could never bring myself to find it.

God. It seems like ages ago now.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on November 03, 2003, 09:24:18 pm
Quote from: "slink"
'Tis certainly a possibility. I always just put it down to the (well known) differences in tastes. It has seemed from every source I get that American chocolate just isn't the same as ours, and in turn ours is nothing compared to real chocolate.
It's all to do with the legal restrictions on what cocoa content can be called chocolate, and you guys don't have any restriction do you?
Mind I don't think we do still...
Which is a shame.


There are restrictions but they're a little more lax. I don't have time to scour the .gov sites but I did come up with this: http://www.romolochocolates.com/news/chocolate_defined.htm

The problem with US chocolate is that our's might contain the same amount of cocoa but have way more sugar which affects the taste. And most of us grew up on milk chocolate so to us the stuff with more cocoa tastes bitter and wrong.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: wombat on November 03, 2003, 09:52:50 pm
I read something once that I can no longer locate that said that American milk chocolate has a characteristic slightly fermented, sour taste, that we are all used to, but that tastes bizarre to Europeans, who don't make their milk chocolate that way.  

And shouldn't this thread be over at my forum now?  If only I knew how to move it.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on November 03, 2003, 09:55:18 pm
The couple of chocolate bars I had in London were almost disgustingly rich and "thick". I also could on find ones with stuff in them. They all had nuts or carmel or raisins or whatever, no plain chocolate bars. Weird. Eerie.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: Squee! on November 03, 2003, 10:07:00 pm
SEE'S

It is surprising that no one has mentioned See's yet.

Am I alone here on this?

Oh and also I am just posting so that I am not kicked off for all of time.

I miss you guys!  I'll try to find time to post more often.  It's just that school is kicking my booty big time.  Stupid learning.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: jough on November 03, 2003, 10:10:46 pm
My kicking proclamation was mostly just an effort to engage the lurkers more in conversation.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: Squee! on November 03, 2003, 10:17:33 pm
Awww...I'm not even lurking.  I am just nonexistent.  I am a ghost of the past joys of dumbrella achewood times.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: V-Adore on November 03, 2003, 10:18:52 pm
Quote from: "Squee!"
Awww...I'm not even lurking.  I am just nonexistent.  I am a ghost of the past joys of dumbrella achewood times.

You're Wink Hauntlie?

Er, anyway. I approve of chocolate, just not of feeding Philippe chocolate. This is all.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: wombat on November 03, 2003, 10:39:35 pm
Hi Squee!!

See's is the best American chocolate stuff.  But do they make chocolate bars?  Filled chocolates are a whole other story.

Dang all of you guys, I just had to go buy a Hershey's bar to see if it tasted like I remember.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: starlight on November 03, 2003, 10:53:00 pm
Hm, I tend to think hershey's tastes better in the 'kiss' shape than the bar shape.  I don't know why this is, but I swear, when I have eaten the bar, I am just turned off.

I prefer Godiva over all others though; had that for Halloween ...12 pieces.  yuuuum.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: wombat on November 03, 2003, 11:05:30 pm
I have eaten the kisses more recently and while I neglected to buy some for a comparison taste-test, this bar I am eating is not as good as I remember the kisses.  It not really worth eating.  I expected this since my taste in chocolate has become frightfully expensive, but since I was having such a good time eating leftover Halloween Milky Ways, I thought it was worth checking.

But - what happened to the wrappers?!  The paper sleeve over the foil wrap is gone, it's a one-piece deal. What is the world coming to?  This is making me feel terribly old and curmudgeonly.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: ferocious j on November 03, 2003, 11:16:04 pm
Quote from: "Squee!"
SEE'S

It is surprising that no one has mentioned See's yet.

Am I alone here on this?

Despite having resided in the Bay Area for upwards of two years, I still haven't gotten around to eating anything from See's.  This should probably be remedied posthaste.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: CortJstr on November 03, 2003, 11:47:05 pm
I knew they switched Kit-Kats but the last Hershey bar I had was in the foil/sleeve wrapper.

I can't eat regular Hershey kisses anymore. There was some . . . unpleasantness.

What the heck is See's?
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: slink on November 03, 2003, 11:51:18 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
The couple of chocolate bars I had in London were almost disgustingly rich and "thick". I also could on find ones with stuff in them. They all had nuts or carmel or raisins or whatever, no plain chocolate bars. Weird. Eerie.


Yea, most UK chocolate is way too rich. I never eat it.
But then I rarely eat sugarry things anyway.
The best thing a few years bacl was when I discovered Star Bars - essentially Peanut Butter and caramel in chocolate. They were great - not too sweet thanks to the peanut buttery stuff (though it was a little drier than PB).
But yea, UK chocolate sucks, as does US for me. If I do eat it it's either very high cocoa content and little sugar, thus very bitter, or very good swedish style.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: misterhaan on November 04, 2003, 12:09:13 am
Quote from: "jough"
My kicking proclamation was mostly just an effort to engage the lurkers more in conversation.


that e-mail got filtered into my junk mail box (mostly because i used my junk mail getting e-mail address, so things that come to that address tend to end up in the junk mail), so i left it there.  i did read it though . . . maybe i should "not junk" it so that i don't confuse the filter too much.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: misterhaan on November 04, 2003, 12:09:49 am
whoa, how cool is that?  i post after a long time of not-posting, and i get my own page :)
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: wombat on November 04, 2003, 12:29:25 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"

They're not on my favorites list, but it may just be me and my distrust of schlock-nostalgia covering a corporate candy pimp.  I mean, don't lie to me, I know granma didn't form this stuff with her unwashed little fingers and flakes of old lady hair all falling in the mix.  And they can take their all white golden age type store fronts and shove those, too.


I've only bought it from airports and on line (they don't have stores on the East Coast) so am unaffected by that foolishness.  It's really excellent quality for the price, when I can't afford my favorite 46 dollars a pound stuff anymore.  But go here if you're feeling rich:
http://www.laburdick.com/
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: jough on November 04, 2003, 12:36:06 am
The true Hershey's lovers know that you can only eat their "Special Dark" label.
Title: Awww! - 31 October 2003
Post by: ferocious j on November 04, 2003, 01:09:12 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
The Ghiradelli stuff is superior to my taste.  It's on my list whenever I hit the city.

I like getting the big-ass slabs of Ghirardelli, the kind you have to put in the fridge and then bash with a hammer to get edible-size chunks of.