The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: AugustWest on March 08, 2008, 04:39:31 pm

Title: Holy Crap!
Post by: AugustWest on March 08, 2008, 04:39:31 pm
It's Nice Pete! (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2008/0307082mugs7.html)
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: CortJstr on March 08, 2008, 04:45:56 pm
Or somebody who really likes American Chopper
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: jaydub on March 08, 2008, 08:15:34 pm
Who would have thought she'd end up arrested?

(http://www.thesmokinggun.com/graphics/art4/0307082mugs9.jpg)
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: Golfhaus on March 08, 2008, 08:16:51 pm
She looks so wholesome!
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: jay-ell on March 08, 2008, 09:32:12 pm
This one (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/rparksmug1.html) hit me right here. 
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: wombat on March 08, 2008, 09:55:35 pm
This one (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/rparksmug1.html) hit me right here. 

Oh, that is cool, including the story of it being discovered cleaning out a storage room.
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: AugustWest on March 08, 2008, 10:31:12 pm
This one (http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/rparksmug1.html) hit me right here. 

Phhht.  How many people has she killed?
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: V-Adore on March 08, 2008, 10:40:22 pm
I love her expression -- the even, flint-eyed look of "I know you're in the wrong, and you can't convince me otherwise."
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: Doc on March 09, 2008, 01:59:23 am
I read a little bit about the Rosa Parks thing recently and I was fascinated to see how much planning had gone into it, I haven't read enough to know the full story but just little things like there being a younger woman they were initially going to challenge the law with but decided against it because she was pregnant out of wedlock and they weren't sure how that would play. I'm not saying it invalidates what she did in any way and obviously if you want to get a law changed you have to plan your case well but I thought it was fascinating since it's often portrayed as just one woman who decided to stand up for her rights etc when really there's so much more to it than that.

Just some national pride though, this (http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/02/03/markchopperread_wideweb__470x306,0.jpg) is Nice Pete.
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: side_show on March 09, 2008, 02:44:22 pm
Parks looks cute, almost impish to me in that picture!

When I ride the bus, I don't usually think a lot about racial issues - my area of town has some pretty decent diversity, and everyone tends to get along pretty good.  I do live very close to the main mosque in my area, so  occasionally I see something go down that makes me think of Rosa Parks and the social climate, contemporary racism, etc.

I was riding the bus a while back, and it was pretty crowded - I was in the middle of the bus, in a window seat, and the seat next to me and most of the isle was full of people.  I saw three women, all wearing the Hijab, get on.  As they got on, by both how they moved and by their faces I could see that two of them were older ladies.  Now, I don't know if it's like this where you're from, but locally, if people of such an age get on, or if those who are clearly struggling to stand in the isle get on, the young, healthy people who have seats usually offer them up right away for those in need of them.  This did not happen for these ladies.  Everyone was ignoring how tough it was for them to stand.  Lots of the people in those front seats were young, able bodied people.  They were all looking down, looking away...  It was the first time I'd ever seen this situation.  The younger of the three was trying to help the other two stay upright, and she looked up and saw my worried gaze.  I smiled and pointed at my seat, she smile and shook her head.  I was trying to figure out if there would be a way for me to some how offer one of them my seat in spite of the many people in the isle they'd need to squeeze past, or considering making a scene by shouting out for someone to help these ladies when thankfully a few people got off and the ladies were able to sit.  A couple days later, same bus and time, I was all the way at the back of the bus, and to my horror I saw the exact same three ladies get on, and the same scene play out.  On another trip, I again saw the same ladies get on, no one offered their seats, but this time I was relatively close to the front (but still in a window seat with someone next to me) I caught the eye of one lady and motioned that she could have my seat, she nodded, I had the person next to me get out, and guy in the isle went to take it, I said "I think these ladies need a seat," and suddenly several people stood up, and there was a reshuffling - the ladies all got seats up front, someone else insisted I take their seat...  The immediate reaction of all the other passengers upon hearing my comment made me think that maybe most people did want to help, but weren't sure what was appropriate and didn't want to embarrass anyone, or maybe because the women were dressed so differently from other passengers no one looked closely enough to notice these women's age or clear need of seats ...or maybe it was plain old racism.  All I know is, a couple days later, when I saw these ladies again, the bus wasn't so full and there were empty seats to be had, and when they sat down, they all said something to each other, turned and looked at me and one of the ladies gave me a knowing smile.

Conversely, I once saw a woman in full burqa get on the same bus, same route, and people got the fuck out of her way.  I have to admit, that was the first time I'd seen a woman in a burqa in the context of urban downtown Winnipeg, and the image was pretty powerful in contrast to everyone else around her.  I even found seeing her dressed like this a bit scary  - all those implications of oppression, what it might mean about how she is treated by those in her life.  I know she was just a lady on a bus, and that this is my own prejudice to instantly assume she is oppressed.  It's extremely hard for me to imagine any women wearing a burqua by choice, and even harder to imagine a parther to such a woman treating her as an equal.  Then again, right across the isle was a teenager in a skirt that just barely covered her ass, so who says freedom equals self respect?
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: AugustWest on March 09, 2008, 06:24:47 pm
Yeah yeah, that's nice and all, but the mug shot looked like Nice Pete.  Nice Pete!!!.
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: Doc on March 10, 2008, 01:20:35 am
Good to hear you could help them out Smells.
We get a lot of international students at my uni, particularly from south east asia so it's pretty common to see young ladies walking around with a hijab and bright pink slogan shirts. If nothing else that's always reassured me that cultural integration isn't just possible it's simply happening right now. I've never seen them as a barrier to communication though, though I've felt that way about burquas. With a hijab you can still see their face, it's just like a hat or something.
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: jay-ell on March 10, 2008, 03:13:49 pm
Pedro ordered a print of Rosa Parks' mug shot.  Because he loves me. 

I'm going to hang it on my wall, opposite my Somebody nice the Riveter print.  Because, you know.  Girl Power and all. 

Now I need a large poster or print to hang over the sofa.  I'm thinking a single landscape-format framed print, but I'd settle for a triptych of smaller images.  I'm looking for something that is classy and iconic but which also captures the essence of our geekiness as a family. 

Any suggestions?  I can post photos of the space as soon as I find my camera cable. 
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: jaydub on March 10, 2008, 03:34:31 pm
I think Doc's friend has a few that would fit the space.
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: jay-ell on March 10, 2008, 06:50:13 pm
Actually, my awesome Mom might have had the best suggestion. 

The Guy Who Painted This (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Declaration_of_independence_by_john_trumbull.jpg) is an ancestor of mine.  (Direct line, Mom's side.)    I can get a large print for a couple hundred, framed, that will look incredible in my living room. 

Thanks, Mom. 
Title: Re: Holy Crap!
Post by: jaydub on March 10, 2008, 07:09:13 pm
You know, in admiring that painting I was struck by the thought that if today's fashion designers had a comment on what the men were wearing, they would say the long vests make them look fat.  Then I recalled that, back in the day, this was a desirable thing: fat = affluence.  The couturiers of the day probably knew exactly what effect they would get with their styling.