The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: wombat on March 09, 2008, 09:09:41 pm

Title: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: wombat on March 09, 2008, 09:09:41 pm
Stupid. It's only 'standard' time for, like a couple months out of the year now. So why don't we just leave it this way all year round?

Of course, I am cranky because I just fed the dogs at 5 pm because I got it backwards and thought that their poor little puggy stomachs thought it was 6 already.  When really their stomachs thought it was 4. And when I already have the problem that they start bugging me for dinner at least an hour early and this would have been the perfect chance to fake them out and get them on a different schedule.

Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 09, 2008, 10:16:13 pm
Of course, I am cranky because I just fed the dogs at 5 pm because I got it backwards and thought that their poor little puggy stomachs thought it was 6 already.  When really their stomachs thought it was 4.

The way to deal with this is to leave at least one of the clocks in your house on the real time.

Also, fuck Daylight Savings Time.
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: Golfhaus on March 09, 2008, 11:03:35 pm
I say Fuck Standard Time. Sunset should always occur between 7:30 and 9:00pm. I hate leaving my windowless office at 5:00 in December and walking out to darkness. I feel like I can't get anything done. I want to leave work and have some daylight hours, year round.

The world, of course, should acquiesce to my demands immediately.
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 09, 2008, 11:22:41 pm
I say Fuck Standard Time. Sunset should always occur between 7:30 and 9:00pm. I hate leaving my windowless office at 5:00 in December and walking out to darkness. I feel like I can't get anything done. I want to leave work and have some daylight hours, year round.

The world, of course, should acquiesce to my demands immediately.

This could be achieved with less hubris by changing working hours to eight to four, rather than changing the time itself. Noon should always be more or less when the sun is highest in the sky. I feel that this is important.
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: wombat on March 09, 2008, 11:25:21 pm
No, let's change working days to from TEN to four. Now that would be civilized.
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: Doc on March 09, 2008, 11:56:36 pm
And afternoon siestas!
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: jaydub on March 10, 2008, 03:44:29 pm
Noon should always be more or less when the sun is highest in the sky. I feel that this is important.
I was just thinking about this yesterday.  I also hate time changes (either one).  I was trying to figure whether DST or Standard was better, assuming we had to keep one.  I think noon should be when the sun is highest at the summer solstice (in the center of the local time zone), then let the chips fall where they may for the rest of the year. 
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: melack on March 10, 2008, 04:21:35 pm
Unsurprisingly, I love this daylight savings switch but I hate the other one. I'm perfectly willing to give up an hour of sleep if it means another hour of sunshine in the evening.
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: jaydub on March 10, 2008, 05:18:59 pm
I sort of assume the farther north (or south, for our Antipodal friends) you are the more you like the change.  My company has a manufacturing branch in Singapore, and one of the engineers there wrote me an email last week inquiring about the weather here (conversationally).  I mentioned how the longer days are nice, then realized he may not experience that; Singapore is about 1 degree North of the equator, vs 37 degrees for me near San Francisco.  The seasonal swing there is probably on the order of minutes, vs 5.5 hours here (9.5 hours of daylight at midwinter, 15 hours daylight at midsummer).
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 10, 2008, 09:17:56 pm
I sort of assume the farther north (or south, for our Antipodal friends) you are the more you like the change.  My company has a manufacturing branch in Singapore, and one of the engineers there wrote me an email last week inquiring about the weather here (conversationally).  I mentioned how the longer days are nice, then realized he may not experience that; Singapore is about 1 degree North of the equator, vs 37 degrees for me near San Francisco.  The seasonal swing there is probably on the order of minutes, vs 5.5 hours here (9.5 hours of daylight at midwinter, 15 hours daylight at midsummer).

Nations (or parts of nations) near the  equator usually don't go along with this DST shenanigans.
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: Doc on March 10, 2008, 11:14:16 pm
Yeah, we don't have DST here in Queensland but they have it further south. Actually though, I'm fairly sure they also have it in the northern territory and the  WA, parts of which are as close to the equator as we are.
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: side_show on March 11, 2008, 04:04:22 am
Man, I was right on top of DST, and running early for rehearsals, but all the buses were re-routed to to some massive curling thing going on at the arena, and the damn bus that takes me to work was cancelled and the only other option was running 30 min late.  Fuck you DST.  Fuck you.
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: Doc on March 11, 2008, 04:09:32 am
And all they gotta do is Cuuuuurrrrrrrrl,
Come on baby put that rock in the house!
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: AugustWest on March 11, 2008, 04:23:13 am
massive curling thing

Is that like some kind of Canadian euphemism for "c*ck"?
Title: Re: Happy Daylight Saving Time NOT
Post by: side_show on March 11, 2008, 04:24:48 am
"Hurry Hard!  Hurry Haaaaarrrrd!"