The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on March 13, 2008, 07:05:24 pm

Title: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2008, 07:05:24 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03132008 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03132008)

Where the heck is everyone that I'm away from the computer all day and I'm starting the thread?
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: Limmo on March 13, 2008, 07:14:58 pm
Good for Beef for finally taking a stand, but Showbiz is gonna fuck things up
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: CortJstr on March 13, 2008, 07:22:01 pm
Did you Notice...
... Showbiz asking Beef if he's near a phone, *while talking to him on the phone?*
... Showbiz says "brah" making it legal to beat him senseless in 12 states?
... getting some chicks to lez out at a wedding would be a big year for anybody?
... CortJstr has been spending too much time at snpp.com lately?

When he said Beef used to be off the hook I expected Beef's reaction to be, "no I wasn't" Beef may be a knucklehead since small times but a mega-party animal he is not.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 13, 2008, 07:34:40 pm
Has it been covered what sorta bridesmaids Molly would even have?

She doesn't seem to have a lot of close lady-friends, at least in the land of the living, anyways.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: Formica on March 13, 2008, 07:36:45 pm
When he said Beef used to be off the hook I expected Beef's reaction to be, "no I wasn't" Beef may be a knucklehead since small times but a mega-party animal he is not.

I'm not really sure what I expected his reaction to be, but as the strip progressed I was pleased to see Beef-with-Sac is not a flash in the pan. Will Showbiz ruin the wedding? Possibly. But still.

A+++ would read again. It's been a good week.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 13, 2008, 07:52:42 pm
Did you Notice...
... Showbiz asking Beef if he's near a phone, *while talking to him on the phone?*
... Showbiz says "brah" making it legal to beat him senseless in 12 states?
... getting some chicks to lez out at a wedding would be a big year for anybody?
... CortJstr has been spending too much time at snpp.com lately?

When he said Beef used to be off the hook I expected Beef's reaction to be, "no I wasn't" Beef may be a knucklehead since small times but a mega-party animal he is not.
Today CJ and I are operating on exactly the same brainwave. But if you start wanting to do my girlfriend, its gone too far.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2008, 08:00:44 pm
Has it been covered what sorta bridesmaids Molly would even have?

She doesn't seem to have a lot of close lady-friends, at least in the land of the living, anyways.

Zombie lez-out!
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: CortJstr on March 13, 2008, 08:04:11 pm
Has it been covered what sorta bridesmaids Molly would even have?

She doesn't seem to have a lot of close lady-friends, at least in the land of the living, anyways.

Zombie lez-out!

I can see the reception now:

Braaaaains! Braaains!
(Showbiz passes out the Cuervo)
pu$$y! pu$$y!
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: Choop on March 13, 2008, 09:23:28 pm
ha, ha, showbiz
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: wombat on March 13, 2008, 09:25:40 pm
Zombie poster!

How's it going, Choop?
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 13, 2008, 10:16:14 pm
Also, and this may well be splitting hairs here, but I don't think that a dude as thoughtless and crude would ever refer to The Lesbian Act as "lezzing it up"... the dude would definitely say "dyking it up".

I'm not sure I've ever heard "lez" as a spoken term by an actual person in my entire life, I think it may be one of those media-created swear-replacers like "darn" and "heck" and "frig" and so on... so as to be less offensive but generally still make the point of the curse.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: theinevitable on March 13, 2008, 11:00:57 pm
are darn and heck actually media-created? I always thought they were boy-whose-momma-will-give-him-a-smack-if-he-says-cusses-created.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 13, 2008, 11:05:23 pm
Eventually, I think they became that but... I don't think that's what they were rooted in.

Just me, just my theory but...

I can't imagine a kid just saying "shoot!" and not still getting his ass kicked for coming close... I have to think that it was created for some bowlderized kinda storytelling and then slowly grew into an accept "half"-swear through that application.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: theinevitable on March 13, 2008, 11:06:31 pm
my friends always laugh at me when I say "Dang."

I am trying to cuss less.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: Golfhaus on March 13, 2008, 11:34:07 pm
"Are you near a phone?" would have been my choice for the thread subject. I'm just sayin'.

This strip will go down in history. Some of my favorite strips involve "weaker" characters (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=11172004) bringing (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=07262002) the stones (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=02072006).
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: Cap'n Squeakers on March 13, 2008, 11:51:11 pm
She doesn't seem to have a lot of close lady-friends, at least in the land of the living, anyways.

Well, there is Tina (http://m.assetbar.com/achewood/uua7LSWBf), who can be just as classy (http://achewood.com/index.php?date=10252002) as Showbiz.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: jay-ell on March 14, 2008, 12:07:12 am
Eventually, I think they became that but... I don't think that's what they were rooted in.

Just me, just my theory but...

I can't imagine a kid just saying "shoot!" and not still getting his ass kicked for coming close... I have to think that it was created for some bowlderized kinda storytelling and then slowly grew into an accept "half"-swear through that application.

My mom says "shoot."  That's where I learned it.  I'm more inclined to use "jehosephat" or "crapioca pudding." 

Today, my son repeated Pedro's frustrated pseudo-swear.  The words "Dang Gonnit" are adorable coming from a three year old.  (Maybe I just think anything my kid says is cute because he says so little?) 

Also: Is choop here to stay?  Could it be too good to be true? 
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: CortJstr on March 14, 2008, 12:33:30 am
Also, and this may well be splitting hairs here, but I don't think that a dude as thoughtless and crude would ever refer to The Lesbian Act as "lezzing it up"... the dude would definitely say "dyking it up".

I'm not sure I've ever heard "lez" as a spoken term by an actual person in my entire life, I think it may be one of those media-created swear-replacers like "darn" and "heck" and "frig" and so on... so as to be less offensive but generally still make the point of the curse.

No way. "Dyke" implies unattractive while "lezzing it up" implies Cinemax.

My personal favorite non-swears are "son of a whore" and "dude, what the cock?"
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: wombat on March 14, 2008, 12:36:27 am
Oh bother.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: jaydub on March 14, 2008, 04:15:06 am
Dagnabbit

(Said in a creaky old-man voice)

Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: colmore on March 14, 2008, 04:29:38 am
Two pages of posts and nobody points out the hi-larious (and I am positive intentional) irony of Chris  running this strip on the day he starts asking for for handouts.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: Doc on March 14, 2008, 04:29:51 am
When I was about 6 I would exclaim 'jumping jerusalem'. I'm fairly sure I didn't have a strong grip on what jerusalem was at that point, I just liked alliteration.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: AugustWest on March 14, 2008, 04:50:54 am
They still got phone booths out there on the west coast?  Dang!
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: oball on March 14, 2008, 04:55:30 am
Two pages of posts and nobody points out the hi-larious (and I am positive intentional) irony of Chris  running this strip on the day he starts asking for for handouts.

What?  The link to the donor page has been there for like a week now.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 14, 2008, 05:01:07 am
Well, considering that Pacific Bell has been renamed fifteen different things since it was Pacific Bell and is, I think, AT&T again... I believe that being in a Pacific Bell phonebooth was supposed to subtly underline how low a place Showbiz was calling from...

A place where they haven't even bothered to rebrand the few remaining phone booth.
Title: Re: Wrecked on bridesmaids - March 13 2008
Post by: colmore on March 14, 2008, 05:01:43 am
really?

my bad then.  i hadn't noticed it.  still funny to see them both on the same page.