The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: melack on March 17, 2008, 05:15:08 pm

Title: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: melack on March 17, 2008, 05:15:08 pm
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03172008

Colors that are slightly not good enough is basically the way I felt about England. But, you know, still a lot of fun.
Title: 17th March, 2008 - Actual, "A-List" British Celebrities
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 17, 2008, 05:15:52 pm
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=03172008

I do not believe that Billie Piper is qualified to teach French. Stephen Fry's maths class would probably be very fun, however.
Title: Re: 17th March, 2008 - Actual, "A-List" British Celebrities
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 17, 2008, 05:16:56 pm
That's what I get for answering the phone in the middle of posting a new strip.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Turbo Ninja on March 17, 2008, 05:35:02 pm
I like things that say "Up yours, England" on this most faux-Irish of days.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Ruta Bagas on March 17, 2008, 05:41:14 pm
Hee hee. Mrs Agnes Ronay.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: AugustWest on March 17, 2008, 06:42:18 pm
Onstad also got in a crack about Italian cars. It's a two for one kind of deal!
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: CortJstr on March 17, 2008, 08:28:08 pm
Colors that are slightly not good enough is basically the way I felt about England. But, you know, still a lot of fun.

So basically England is like watching TV shows from the 70s? All grainy and faded.

I fully admit to not recognizing a single one of those people. At first I thought all of the names were made up, but it appears not. Of course I generally can't recognize whoever is on the cover of People or Us, either.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: melack on March 17, 2008, 08:53:12 pm
I think it's because it's so damn cloudy there. The colors don't pop like they would if the sunlight was reflecting from them. Having grown up in Seattle, I know how that feels for a good 9 months out of the year.

I recognized four people from the list, one of whom purely by name and face. No idea what he does, though.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 17, 2008, 09:35:02 pm
So basically England is like watching TV shows from the 70s? All grainy and faded.

I fully admit to not recognizing a single one of those people. At first I thought all of the names were made up, but it appears not. Of course I generally can't recognize whoever is on the cover of People or Us, either.

Everyone needs to start recognizing Stephen Fry.
Title: Re: 17th March, 2008 - Actual, "A-List" British Celebrities
Post by: Golfhaus on March 17, 2008, 10:37:34 pm
I do not believe that Billie Piper is qualified to teach French. Stephen Fry's maths class would probably be very fun, however.

Billie Piper can teach me anything she wants.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: jaydub on March 17, 2008, 11:24:00 pm
Everyone needs to start recognizing Stephen Fry.
I remembered him from a series of guest appearances on Bones as Booth's Bureau-appointed shrink.  I didn't like character at first, but he definitely grew on you.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: wombat on March 17, 2008, 11:38:45 pm
I only recognize a few of them, but it is perhaps worth pointing out that Gordon Brown is the Prime Minister.

The other Gordon has that cooking show where he goes to failing restaurants and yells at them until they don't suck but sometimes they go out of business anyway. He is mentioned somewhere in Chris's blog, isn't he?

I wish I knew who all the others are but I am too tired to even Google people tonight.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: smick on March 18, 2008, 12:07:10 am
I...

I own a Billie Piper album.

Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: nDed on March 18, 2008, 12:33:50 am
Everyone needs to start recognizing Stephen Fry.

Most Definitely (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SKdGwfMD8u8).
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Doc on March 18, 2008, 12:35:05 am
I remembered him from a series of guest appearances on Bones as Booth's Bureau-appointed shrink.  I didn't like character at first, but he definitely grew on you.

He used to team up with Dr. House and fight evil aunts.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 18, 2008, 01:33:44 am
America and Bollywood are the homes to real celebrities. The rest are just imitation idols.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: oball on March 18, 2008, 02:51:59 am
Most Definitely (http://youtube.com/watch?v=SKdGwfMD8u8).

That is brilliant.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 18, 2008, 03:16:08 am
They all look like the token "television-ugly" ugly person from every reality show that I've only seen the commericals for which is, of course, every reality show since season two of The Real World.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: melack on March 18, 2008, 05:05:46 am
They all look like the token "television-ugly" ugly person from every reality show that I've only seen the commericals for which is, of course, every reality show since season two of The Real World.

Welcome to England!
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: jay-ell on March 18, 2008, 01:01:46 pm
He voices the narrator from Pocoyo (http://youtube.com/watch?v=fCuKm2PZAnE)! 

Hi-larious. 
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Drygioni on March 18, 2008, 11:43:26 pm
bloody lack of respect no mark yanks

Joking aside, did you really not recognise Gordon Brown? Seriously?
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Golfhaus on March 18, 2008, 11:50:27 pm
Joking aside, did you really not recognise Gordon Brown? Seriously?

Dude, the "smart" third of our country thinks Tony Blair is still the PM. The "dumb" third of our country thinks Margaret Thatcher is the PM. The third with the money and power thinks Queen Elizabeth is the PM.

It's not Brit-hating, though. Something like 30% of the American population doesn't know the name of our own vice-president at any given time.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: CortJstr on March 19, 2008, 12:05:04 am
bloody lack of respect no mark yanks

Joking aside, did you really not recognise Gordon Brown? Seriously?

I didn't recognize his picture because I've never seen him before. I get most of my hard news from the radio. I probably would've recognized the name but Onstad's phrasing made me think they were all actors and such.

Also, "no mark"?
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2008, 12:39:01 am
yeah, I did not make the connection.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: AugustWest on March 19, 2008, 01:21:58 am
OK, I give up.  Who the hell is Mrs. Agnes Ronay?
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on March 19, 2008, 01:40:59 am
OK, I give up.  Who the hell is Mrs. Agnes Ronay?

As near as I can figure out, it's some sort of weird "If Egon Ronay were a woman" thing, Egon Ronay being a Hungarian-British food critic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egon_Ronay)? This would still make no sense to me were it not for the food connection to Onstad.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Doc on March 19, 2008, 01:54:17 am
OK, I give up.  Who the hell is Mrs. Agnes Ronay?

It's James May (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_May). He's another Top Gear host.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 19, 2008, 02:58:47 am
I certainly knew that the political leader of Britain was named Gordon Brown.

I was hazy on what the dude looked like. I get most of my news from NPR, Air America and text-based websites that do not strain my Windows-98-based computer. There are many characters of mild-to-moderate news significance that I could not pin a face to.

From the face, I assumed he was the host of a cooking show that I have never taken the time to watch, some kind of hybrid cooking-reality show that would make me want to punch myself in the face over and over again.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 19, 2008, 03:21:26 am
I am rationally ignorant to most european celebrities/politicians. Who they are generally doesn't affect me as an American economics student. I do love me some gordon ramsay on occasion, that guy is hilarious.
They all look 20 pounds overweight from these pictures. As an athletic shaped male, maybe Id have crazy luck with british chicks if all their models of men are heavy out of shape - might even make the $/E conversion worth it.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: theinevitable on March 19, 2008, 03:45:02 am
but, dude, have you ever seen British chicks?


(I mean, that's what they say, right? I have not been to England since I was 4, they're all gorgeous for all I know.)
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: jaydub on March 19, 2008, 04:18:55 am
They all look 20 pounds overweight from these pictures. As an athletic shaped male, maybe Id have crazy luck with british chicks if all their models of men are heavy out of shape - might even make the $/E conversion worth it.
You might have to compete with the likes of these
(http://www.england-rugby.com/EnglandRugby/images/News/P_Steve_Thompson1004.jpg) (http://www.cassyput.com/clara_net/england_rugby/england_rugby_images/trevor_woodman.jpg)
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Drygioni on March 19, 2008, 05:00:14 pm
Rugby men are not athletic, the sport just requires tfoaugth. Your job is to repeatedly run into, get squashed by and get ran into by extremely heavy men. Non-stop (barring half time) for 80 minutes.

It is no sport for the good looking among us, not that I'm insulting the two handsome blokes above this post.

Also, inev, British women. Considering that other than my girlfriend there are no good looking British women (ahem), you will unfortunately get the vast mixed bag every country throws up, except in this case 'throws up' is infinitely more appropriate when describing them.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: jaydub on March 19, 2008, 05:04:22 pm
Judy, all bogarting the hot British woman.  Have you no compassion for your fellows?
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: jay-ell on March 19, 2008, 05:07:09 pm
There was a hot chick on Coupling once.  Guest star, season 2 I think. 
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Drygioni on March 19, 2008, 10:56:27 pm
Judy, all bogarting the hot British woman.  Have you no compassion for your fellows?

The American President has a 19% approval rate. The economy is pretty bad (as far as I understand it). Most of the world sees it is a cause/scapegoat for a lot of problems. Despite this and myriad other negatives (though with lots of great stuff too), I don't think it is unfair to say most Americans wouldn't hesitate in proclaiming America the greatest country on Earth.

And it is the same for many countries.

But.

If Britain's streets were made of chocolate, people would complain about the flavour. If it was permanently glorious weather, people would complain about having to buy sunglasses. If we had a free, universal health care system and a series of safety nets for the poverty stricken, people would complain about.. oh, wait we do! Great! But PEOPLE STILL fuck*ng COMPLAIN.

Er, in short, despite our efforts to the contrary we are very negative and are always in possession of a self-deprecating, pessimistic mood regarding our own country. But you already knew that.

For every elegant English Rose there is a chain-smoking binge-drinking slag. Mostly within the same person.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: melack on March 19, 2008, 11:16:12 pm
Don't you ever change, Judy. Don't you ever become a permanent rose.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: wombat on March 19, 2008, 11:16:34 pm
Judy, you need to come around more often.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Doc on March 20, 2008, 12:02:58 am
Er, in short, despite our efforts to the contrary we are very negative and are always in possession of a self-deprecating, pessimistic mood regarding our own country. But you already knew that.

Bill Bailey did a good bit on this concept once.

As for myself my country rocks and the only people who hate us are Indonesia and they won't start shit because they need us to train their fighter pilots. Not sure what happens once we're done training them, but I'm sure it'll all work out for the best.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: jay-ell on March 20, 2008, 01:56:16 am
stuff

*crush*
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: executioneer on March 20, 2008, 05:58:22 am
i thought harry saxon was pm
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: smick on March 20, 2008, 04:57:25 pm
Executioneer - Please see the Wikihistory thread.   Prime Minister Saxon has since been retconned.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: littlefallsmets on March 20, 2008, 05:01:49 pm
What was the fashion of retcon?

Did Superboy punch a cosmic whatsits? Did Spider-Man sell his soul to the devil?

Did everyone turn out to be Skrulls? Other than Maggie Thatcher, of course, where it is obvious.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: smick on March 20, 2008, 06:41:30 pm

Did everyone turn out to be Skrulls? Other than Maggie Thatcher, of course, where it is obvious.

Skrulls... As an Avengers reader, the mere mention of Skrulls makes me very sad.

They come from planet MacGuffin.

Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: colmore on March 24, 2008, 04:53:53 pm
Hey Doc,

I heard a lovely little rumor about New Zealand that I'm scared to actually get confirmed or denied, but: is it true that sign advertising is required by law to be hand-painted?  Because if so, that's the best darn law this anarchist has ever heard of.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Doc on March 25, 2008, 12:42:11 am
Hey Doc,

I heard a lovely little rumor about New Zealand that I'm scared to actually get confirmed or denied, but: is it true that sign advertising is required by law to be hand-painted?  Because if so, that's the best darn law this anarchist has ever heard of.

To be honest I'm not sure. The couple of times I've been over there and their highways signs look pretty much like the ones we have over here. I guess it would depend on what you mean by hand painted, would a stencil count?
Basically I doubt it but it sounds so good I want it to be true.
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on March 25, 2008, 12:54:15 am
Hey Doc,

I heard a lovely little rumor about New Zealand that I'm scared to actually get confirmed or denied, but: is it true that sign advertising is required by law to be hand-painted?  Because if so, that's the best darn law this anarchist has ever heard of.
wait what? Didnt you just describe yourself as an ultra liberal? And now youre an anarchist... but an anarchist who loves ridiculous legislation?
Title: Re: March 17, 2008 - COO COO CLUCK CLUCK SIGN ME BOOK PLEASE
Post by: colmore on March 25, 2008, 02:35:36 am
Pragmatics you know.  Anarchism forms the base philosophical underpinnings of how I've been seeing the world, but it's not like going to happen any time soon.  For me the philosophy has more to do with the democratization of power (there are always going to be people richer than one another, but it's a worthy goal to pursue a society where that distinction does not give one a louder voice in society).

My hatred of billboards goes beyond my uneasiness with current systems of law.  Commercial regulation, especially when it creates a huge job class for signpainters doesn't really upset me.  Like that NJ law that gas has to be hand pumped.  Keeps jobs available.  It's a much more effective way of leveling things than tax and redistribute.